Game-Labs Forum

Mod support as a way to help the devs

We all know that any small game developer is always stressed for more resources.  The slow pace of updates for this game shows how much effort even small content can take its what comes with indi games.  However I think there might be a way to help the developers out.  If they release mod support or at least something to help modders it could be very helpful.  Allowing mods that deal with new components and balance changes would free up dev resources to concentrate on the parts of the game that would be outside the scope of basic modding like major gameplay features and campaigns.  If they dev's like the mods they could event port them into the main game files.

Thoughts, opinions, torpedoes?   

• Like 2

On 11/17/2021 at 3:55 AM, Lucinator said:

We all know that any small game developer is always stressed for more resources.  The slow pace of updates for this game shows how much effort even small content can take its what comes with indi games.  However I think there might be a way to help the developers out.  If they release mod support or at least something to help modders it could be very helpful.  Allowing mods that deal with new components and balance changes would free up dev resources to concentrate on the parts of the game that would be outside the scope of basic modding like major gameplay features and campaigns.  If they dev's like the mods they could event port them into the main game files.

Thoughts, opinions, torpedoes?   

It is one of this opinions that is usually popular on any game forum but is actually potential cause of endless problems when you have a product in pre-release stadium just as much as it enriches a game post-release.

You can take a look at any steam game that is in early release which has workshop integration and see how much time they use to find origin of a bug (is it from the mod or is it something in the stock game? Or is it the problem made worse by the mod so it becomes much more felt and widespread among end users?).

So when game is in alpha, I am very much against mods - when we get to a more "stable" or post-release version - I am all for it.

could not disagree more rust and Dozens of other games I've played that have been in a public pre-realease have had similar mod capabilities,  It was what kept several of them alive long enough to gain a critical mass of players.  Rust for example is one of the most played games on steam and having played it since its early alpha I can say the mods helped it through a couple of rough patches and saved the game.  Hell some of the closed alpha testing I've done has had mod tools already up and running which on a game only being tested by at most 1000-2000 people says it can work just fine.

• Like 1