Game-Labs Forum

Most stuff is too expensive to kit out a proper ship for a mission

Saktiyudaht

As ive mentioned in the title, most ships require a much higher amount of money and sometimes weight than they should, lets take the "Build an H ship" mission for example if you want 4 18" Turrets you basically cannot get any secondaries at all without having way too little armour or other vital equipment needed to fend off the 2 BB and the 4 DD which will quickly take you out. Ive felt this limited in most other missions, now dont get me wrong I dont want the missions to be easy but I find this game is more of a sandbox type but its ship designer is just severly limited by the weight and mostly cost of the equipment. I hope this gets changed in the next update and on a side note i kinda want the cheat menu back since it would some missions more replayble.

• Like 1

Sounds just fine to me. If you want to save on cost and tonnage you have to cut somewhere. 18" to expensive? Use 17 or 16" or drop a turret down to 3 instead. Want that 18"? Then cut on components or armor. etc, etc.

This will be even more evident in the campaign. Were you're given a budget and must work within it. If you don't want to worry about such things then the custom battle option is what you want.

The newest missions are more a challenge due to cost limitations. I personally picked more money in most of them to. Because before you start the mission you have 2 options either a more high tech and restrictive ship or a lower tech but bigger/more ships. These where some of the few missions I considered more budget a great idea.

You cannot have your cake and eat it. You could probably get 4 twin turrets instead of triples. Or you need to drop something you considered necessary. Maybe your secondary battery is more extensive. Have you considered twin secondaries they are often more cost efficient.

It's a challenge with working on a limited budget. You need to actually cut things and learn what is worth it and not. If you just include useless stuff just because you would have a bad time.

Designing ships not to the limit has made them more reasonable IRL. I have ended up cutting down the secondary battery and tower massively. This leads to my ships shrinking in size. In the US mission I was using 3 triples to save on cost. My custom battleships no longer look like a meme with a ton of secondaries.

On 2/22/2020 at 9:17 PM, Ruan said:

If you want to save on cost and tonnage you have to cut somewhere. 18" to expensive? Use 17 or 16" or drop a turret down to 3 instead. Want that 18"? Then cut on components or armor. etc, etc.

Well the thing is, I had the default armor settings which suck against 13" even and I wasnt going triple turrets and for an H class ship 18" are reasonable, since the actual plans for the H-44 would have had 8X 20" guns although the first H-39 would have had 15" guns indeed.

I guess they went for a more realistic approach but with the enemy ships running away after sinking the first BB its nearly impossible to reach them without 18" Guns

Try putting on more speed to reduce the number of hits - with the current ruling you can make your ship go 36 knots with 12 18" guns. I think the intent of this mission is to teach you how to distribute fire. You need to know when to stop hitting the battleships (I've been able to kill two of the three before the last one put itself into the Hard to Kill Retreat mode) and start going after the destroyers so they don't torpedo you, then go after the battleship again while you still have some ammo left so you can stab it to death.

You should have just picked the more money if you thought it was too expensive. You either need to make cuts but get higher tier weapons or you need to use lower tier. You really just want both options and no build challenge.

Here is one with everything you kind of want. 30kn speed, Armored against 18" guns between 10-12.5km with turtleback and generally high HP, Good firepower with highest tier fire control and highest tower, and every secondary filled with twin. I made cuts to things like using steam engines.

I could probably make it more refined increasing armor for higher distances and against 16" instead. Some of the weak secondaries removed. But its just a general idea that it works.

But more realistic you should use a smaller hull and towers. The newest missions are some of the few I did not auto use the biggest tower and size. If you use highest tech you should probably use a smaller ship. If you are using higher cash you should use a bigger ship.

Also the actual H class used 16" and 16.5" guns. Except the less serious ones which had no work done. H-39 used 16" not 15".

image.png