Game-Labs Forum

Armor Placement

Warbie

I must say i did like the progression of armor types in the game and progression of hull/vessel types. 

But other than a slide-in menu, armor placement is done automaticly once you completed the design. It is also a joy to see how different types of armor reacts to the battle damage in game, seeing ricochets, cracks and twists depending on the amount of damage taken. But other than choosing the specific armor type, armor placement seems to be based solely on hull type chosen at the start.

What is more interesting would be to implement armor placement schemes in the game, which would affect the designs seakeeping, displacement, turning and speed qualities. Depending on how the armor is placed, (i.e focused on engines, ammunition, citadels) it should nerf the damage taken to certain functional sections of the ship.

Many 1880s, ironclads/pre-dreadnought battleships had armor covering the whole hull but armor design continued to change, 

Protected cruisers, auxilary cruisers, heavy and light cruisers all had varying armor placements, some ships had more armor around the section of the citadel to protect signalling/command of the fleets and finally, more modern battleships had "all or nothing" armor placement, which protected important internal sections.

Adding an armor placement function to designing section of the game could improve the specialization of certain ship designs and definitely enrich the tactical approach to battle-system.

I also think that being able to see the internal sections, such as engine, fuel, ammo compartment etc... would give the ship-design phase a more in-depth approach.

• Like 4