Game-Labs Forum

Forts -- Richmond

Beruldsen

Going into the final battle ... playing as Union on Normal ... I have about a 30k advantage in troops (90k vs 60k).  However, after the first round of securing the trenches ... my forces are pretty beaten up.  The first fort (on the first day) was easy enough because one of the 2 brigades left the fort to assist in one of the trenches.  But no such luck on the second day with the first northern most fort.  My first assault was a massacre even with a 5 to 1 advantage.  Is there some better strategy for taking these forts ... some magic cannon or something?  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

You can get around the backside of the Northern fort along the far eastern edge of the map.  Key is to get men and guns on opposite sides of the forts and particularly on open ends where they exist and envelop them.

Swapping fire with them is also a loser.  Close quickly and make sure you charge every unit in fort at once then bring behind additional units that don't charge to keep firing into the enemy.  It will be bloody and even your best units will break.  Just reform and move on.  You lose less men in the charge than you would think so long as it is delivered quickly.

Not sure how helpful this is and it could be a bug, but I lined up three howitzers point blank just outside rifle range and targeted the cannon in the fort.  For whatever reason after a relatively short amount of sustained fire the infantry defending the fort breaks and you can charge the fort and occupy the defensive position.

Edited by USPostman

7 hours ago, Bobby Fiasco said:

Exploit-ish things like this seem to be the way to crack Richmond. This battle is bonkers! Fear the confederate super soldiers. I'm having two star units of 2,100 men breaking in melee with 470 skirmishers

Skirmishers in fortifications are near invulnerable, at least in previous patches. Especially when they are 1k units in some battles due to scaling. Something to do with them taking less damage than usual I am sure(but still dishing out normal damage...or increased?). Temp fix is to attack with skirmishers of your own and hope the enemy gets dislodged so your inf can pour some fire into them.