Game-Labs Forum

Mule Shoe

Beruldsen

Playing as the Union ... on BG ... can someone provide some guidance on how to win this battle without losing your entire army.  I'm going in with 62k vs 45k .  The fortifications seem unbelievably strong.  I have 160 guns aimed at one fortified unit and it barely makes a dent.  I send in a half dozen brigades and they finally rout the unit but most are routed themselves ... the follow-up brigades are then confronted with fresh brigades and the massacre continues.  I'm having a very hard time finding a weak spot in the CSA defense.

It is all about finding the weak spots; where the enemy cannot shoot(or is firing at your elven warriors) at you but you can pour flanking fire. Usually once you get a single brigade detached you can roll the whole line that just sits there. Be very, very wary of artillery.

Your goal is to attack by columns and never stop moving ahead once you get through.  You are going to have to use melee and charges to dig them out but your formation of choice should column.

I basically stack my corps 3-4 brigades wide and stack every brigade right behind them and go forward.  You need to engage the brigades on either side of your breakthrough target just to keep them engaged.  Pile into your target zone as quickly as possible with your lead brigade or two.  Move up very close to blast away with following brigades.  Once you break them get brigades through and turn to either side.  Widen your pressure to engage the flank brigades from the front and sides/rear.  Once you clear out two or three just pour through and don't stop.

It will be bloody.  You will lose men.  That is the whole war once you exit the wilderness.  Assault columns and heavy death.

In a rather gamey approach ... I attacked the southern most unit on the left and was able to get in the rear.  With this approach I didn't have to contend with units attacking my right flank...then it was just a matter of slugging my way in.  I still suffered almost 15k casualties. 

Did it the exact was Beruldsen did it.  Stack at the very bottom and just keep punching with fresh units.  The last defense on the rail fence is pretty easy to finish off as they are only on 45% cover.  

remember to keep bringing up your cannons to add punch to the attack.