Game-Labs Forum

Final CSA Battle

CSX4451

Well....maybe it's just me but I personally think the Batlle for Washington is a great battle on Day 1. It's a solid slug fest with numerous objectives to take and a lot of maneuvering which is quite taxing on your manpower. A really fun battle although the AI seems to have a lot more resistance when it's in the forts than when you are in them.

Now Day 2 is pretty ridiculous in my opinion. After a crazy battle the day prior where you took all the victory objectives, you are forced to defend all the forts and D.C. with  a depleted army against a now rejuvenated Union army that has twice your numbers. 

No doubt the last battle should be tough but damn...... I think Day 2 kinda ruins what was a solid ending battle. Now I play on BG level so I can even imagine what MG or Legendary is like!!!!

It will be interesting to see what others think to see if it's just me and I'm just a crappy player!!! : )

• Like 3

I too play at BG level. I think the key to the Battle of Washington is to hit the ground running. Once I took DeRussey I pushed my men without stopping and often caught the enemy off guard and was able to take trenches without charging and taking serious casualties. By taking the surrounding trenches, I could move my men to surround about 3/4s of each fort and take them under charges backed up by artillery and infantry fire. At BG level the union brigades are only 1 star or are green which makes charging and mass firing on fortifications viable.The green defense brigades will crumble quite easily with adequate pressure.

In my play through I was able to secure all control points with moderate casualties. Most of my 2500 strong brigades had been reduced to between 1900-2200. Still, I had plenty to mount a great defense on Day 2 when the Union counterattacked. I fully garrisoned the forts and moved my men to the trenches around the forts. I was able to hold everything with relative ease with one fort being the exception.

Fort DeRussey will be key to winning on Day 2. Since there isn't a robust trench system, you will need to garrison this fort with your most veteran and full strength artillery and infantry brigades. I also took what brigades I did not need to garrison and built a relief force of about 14,000 men around Fort Stevens. When things began to look dicey I started to maneuver this force to DeRussey. The enemy was forced to counter this relief force which prevented him from taking DeRussey during the allotted time.

I ultimately won the battle with about 116,000 men against a little over 200,000 federals. I inflicted about 100,000 casualties while suffering about 33,000. There is a butcher's bill to be paid on this battle, but it is the last one so don't be afraid to be bold.

The problem I had on day 2 was the lower half of the map which included Washington and the 2 forts......both times I played I could field enough troops to defend all 3 locations sufficiently. I may need to rethink what Corps go where on Day 2 to mount a more effective defense. 

I also may need to work on my strategy on taking the forts as I struggled on repeated attacks on the 2 lower forts of Day 1. They were damn stubborn!!!,

Edited by CSX4451