Game-Labs Forum

Let's talk about unit sizes

Kevlarburrito

On 20/1/2017 at 1:49 AM, Kevlarburrito said:

Regarding the heavy artillery units: A battalion and a regiment are one in the same. Heavy artillery battalions and regular infantry battalions are vastly different in terms of units composition. Again, by 1865, yes, these numbers would be accurate. But we ARE NOT in 1865 at this point...so regiments are still being formed at 1,000. A many were still being formed in these numbers well into 1864 in the North. 

Give me a source for just one regiment going into combat with its full strength... you can't.

And no a battalion and a regiment is not the same.
Regiment is a administrative organisation.
Battalion is usually a tactical organisation, but sometimes also an administrative organisation.
Company is both a tactical and administrative organisation.

A battalion is two or more companies operation together as one battalion. 
An infantry regiments was usually 10 companies and did operate as one battalion.
But the new regular army regiments was to have 3 battalion of 8 companies each. (but most only ended up having two battalions)
There are plenty of cases where a regiment had one or more companies detached for guardduty or similar.
There are plenty of cases of depleted regiments operating together as one battalion... or some companies from one regiment and some companies from another regiment operating as one battalion on the battlefield.(US regular army companies at 1st bull run...)

MUST ..... RESIST......

(nope can't do it)

I would like to let everyone here know that I think upping unit size is something that certainly half of us should be very interested in. My issue is that, from a tactical viewpoint, it might hinder mobility and in extreme cases even cause significant accuracy penalties mainly due to the balancing issue. Finally, and most importantly, it would lead to a massive cover penalty as troopers would be unable to lie down properly - increasing their sight profile and making them an easier target. Im sure I've left other problems out but those to me are the ones that I have to deal with on a daily basis.