Game-Labs Forum

Post melee chase

Von Birnstock

I had to share. lol. I have no idea how to stop this from happening but it really sucks when your unit goes berserker mode and chases a retreating enemy, while frantically hitting "HOLD". I took some screen shots of two particularly bad situations and had to post them just for the laughs...

In the first screen Waltons Brigade was in the fortified location in the woods in the bottom right corner when he was charged and engaged in melee. He was successful and then chased the fleeing enemy into the heart of the enemy forces. I am really not sure how he got so far carrying gonads the size of canon balls. :)

WTF.PNG

I then moved Sill's Brigade into the defensive fortifaction (ie woods) and he was also charged and engaged in melee. Which he also won. Not to be out done by Walton he also chased the retreating enemy unit. In the second screen shot you can see Walton in the top right corner, who made it all the way through multiple enemy brigades, across a river crossing and then ran smack dab into an enemy artillery unit, where he promptly took a round of grape shot at point blank range and decided to head north. Again, not to be out done Sill's did the same thing. Sadly neither officers survived, although both units remained intact. After the battle both Brigades were renamed to Waltons Devils and Sills Berserkers and are the 1st brigade in the 1st division in my 1st and 2nd corps respectively. 

wtf2.PNG

• Like 1

Yep, it's a big problem. The latest beta 0.72 patch is better about it, but I still had a couple of runners in Harper's Ferry - two Union units routed through two solid lines of infantry, meleeing the whole time, and then kept going all the way to the river. I've bugged every instance I've seen in 0.72. I have a little theory about it - it appears that routed / fleeing units get maximum speed and ignore Condition penalties once they start running, which is how they are able to move so far so fast without getting bogged down in melee.