Game-Labs Forum

The problems of commanding 20,000+ strong armies

Xenutheeviloverlord

I was thinking if it was possible to have a little more "automated control" over your army... the ability to alter your brigade's behavior when you are not watching over them.

Some battles can have up to 40,000-50,000 men. Which can involve up to 20 brigades on each sides plus their artillery.

That's quite a bit of micromanagement. Especially on the larger maps.

The current system is great for "small" battles of about 10,000-20,000 men, but when it gets bigger, you're kind of running all over the place.

Things that the computer may be able to do automatically than wait for us to give the word...

Reoccupying a previous position they were driven from after they broke and ran.

Chasing after breaking enemies, or otherwise maintaining contact.

I can't make a comprehensive list because some will be seriously controversial.

But being able to give our brigades more defined instructions may seriously cut down on the "babysitting".

One thing that really bugs me is when I input movement arrows and an enemy enters their path without me knowing.

They do fire at the enemy, but then continue to march forward, reloading slower and ultimately getting outgunned by the faster reloading enemy (who have stopped and are standing still.)

I wish there was a way of telling them what to do when stuff like that happens.

They should stop and focus on winning the fire fight (important for Union soldiers) as opposed to continuing forward in a sort of lazy march/charge... a ma-rge...

Or when the enemy breaks when I'm focused somewhere else, I want my brigades to maintain contact or even charge the fleeing enemy.

Just "simple" stuff like that.

I'd go into more details but it's kinda approaching that TL;DR threshold..

to