Game-Labs Forum

Historical expertise needed

Baron Quertier

Greetings my friends. I'll keep this short.

I am in the process of writing a novel set during the Hundred Years' War that was fought between England and France. The period of the war I am concentrating on is the period between 1337 and 1375. During that time there were many naval engagements. The battle of Sluys involved Hundreds of ships and the strategies used by both side are similar to those used at the battle of the Nile. Also the battle Les Espagols sur mer, aka The Battle of Winchelsea, which involved approximately 40-50 ships on each side showed that control of the sea has been an important war objective long before the 'age of sail'.

I understand that the age of sail referred to on this forum is a time of sailing ships hundreds of years after the time frame of my novel, but I know that there are many clever people on the forum that have a vast knowledge of history. I need information on the ships used at the time, the cogs and hulks as they were known. Also the Castilian and Genoan galleys. I know abit but not enough for a good detailed novel. Could anyone tell me of crew numbers, speed, seaworthiness and perhaps the interiors too. I know 'cabins' weren't really a thing at the time, not how we know them to be. Of course I've looked up the information myself but I find a lot of what I read tends to be contradictory and quite vague.

Thank you all.

Thank you sir, for the link. I may have overlooked something but I could seem to find anything amongst the lists of material posted that I can use unfortunately.

I fully understand the strategies and tactics of the time, but I just can't find enough information about the actual ships used.