Game-Labs Forum

Thoughts on Timers and Flags

I posted this in a National News post where it really didn't belong, so thought I'd put it up here. The standard disclaimer: I checked back a few pages, didn't see a similar idea, if it's been posted before apologies, etc.

The general complaints I've been seeing over port timers and flags seem to be that it's difficult to make sure everyone can take part, they're done and set for times when people can't join, etc. This is natural in a game that runs 24/7 in multiple time-zones of course. People also generally state that they would LIKE to PvP, it's just that such-and-such faction aren't on when the attacks go through. This could remedy that and do a better job of ensuring that more people have a chance to take part while also shifting progress so that it can still remain steady but, if done quickly, would give more opportunities to fight back without removing port timers and being stuck with constant back-and-forth night flips.

Perhaps multiple types of port attacks would be the way to go. The current system isn't all that 'realistic' in that communications, logistics, etc were a slow-moving, cumbersome thing in those days. Distance was murder. Perhaps the current port attack system would be better for a raid of sorts, where the port would be open as a jumping-off point for further attacks and would remain under the victors control but without being able to set timers until after a delay. This could represent the rushed nature of the attack, leaving the port vulnerable to re-capture for a period of time, say 72hrs (or 48hrs maybe), at which point a timer could then be set.

We could then have another port attack type available, with a much longer notice (say 24hrs, since it wouldn't mess with the timing otherwise), which would give defenders plenty of time to ready themselves as well but would allow the victor to immediately set timers to represent having taken the time to load up and transport goods and ground forces to properly secure the port and make it easily defensible. Afterall, in 'realistic' terms, taking the time to gather that sort of matériel, in addition to the loose lips of drunken marines, would give spies a lot of time to get word back home about impending invasions. Timers of this sort could show up on the Conquest screen for all to see as news spreads of the incoming assault.

I can't really see much argument against this, since ostensibly everyone has stated that they -want- to PvP, timing just isn't working out for people to arrive, etc etc. This way players would have plenty of time to arrive and there'd be far more actual PvP going on. Want to avoid overnight port-flipping that would result from the total removal of port timers? I don't blame you, just take the time to prepare and give the defender time to do the same. On the other hand the faster raid-type attacks could mean that a lot of fighting goes on over the course of a weekend, with ports flipping back and forth. Let's be honest, there's no reason that a lightning raid should result in so secure a capture.

• Like 2