Game-Labs Forum

Skirmishers or Dividing Units

welshman15

One thing I'd like to see is the ability to break brigades up and/or deploy skirmishers. Yesterday I was playing the CSA on Day 1. At that time the CSA has only three infantry units on the map - two full brigades and Heth's skirmishers. While I was advancing the two brigades to engage the dismounterd cav units on McPhearson's Ridge, the AI kept using the videttes to flank and attack my artillery. A proper tactic, but one I could not counter without either diverting an entire brigade to chase tham off or have Heth's skirmishers run back and forth. In these types of situations the number of units become more important than the number of soldiers. If I had been able to break off a regiment or skirmishers to guard the arty, I could have resumed the attack of my two brigades towards the main Union line.

I know what your saying.

Advice I give is keep your artillery close to your Brigades at first till Pettigrew and Brock arrive. Focus Davis and Archer north into Oak Ridge. Then pull your skirmishers to defend Herr's ridge. Then mass South and attack Seminary.

But I do think they should allow Brigades to detach Regiments or Companies.