Game-Labs Forum

Just my suggestions

fallendown

This game has already provided more joy than all the Total War series games, which I found mundane with unimaginative battles, that posed a challenge only when played during multiplayer matches. Being a long time wargamer and a lifelong Civil War fanatic, I'd like to offer this advice, and I've read that it is being worked on. 

Firstly, troop withdraw and routing. Enemy troops would never withdraw towards enemy lines, no matter what. I've seen several times where enemy troops will route towards enemy lines and actually cause them to route as well. 

Secondly skirmishers. I've never read or seen a "unit" of skirmishers, I've also never read about a group of skirmishers charging a main line of infantry. The role of skirmishers was to attack targets of opportunity and suppress enemy skirmishers, when confronted by infantry in force they would retire to their own lines...

There's a great article on Skirmish doctrine during the civil war here at http://www.mvep.org/skirmishold.htm

• Like 1

This game has already provided more joy than all the Total War series games, which I found mundane with unimaginative battles, that posed a challenge only when played during multiplayer matches. Being a long time wargamer and a lifelong Civil War fanatic, I'd like to offer this advice, and I've read that it is being worked on. 

Thank you for you comments!

Firstly, troop withdraw and routing. Enemy troops would never withdraw towards enemy lines, no matter what. I've seen several times where enemy troops will route towards enemy lines and actually cause them to route as well. 

We are working to limit these cases. However in some cases that the AI units meet those of player's on their retreat route, or found surrounded, may retreat in the wrong way.

Secondly skirmishers. I've never read or seen a "unit" of skirmishers, I've also never read about a group of skirmishers charging a main line of infantry. The role of skirmishers was to attack targets of opportunity and suppress enemy skirmishers, when confronted by infantry in force they would retire to their own lines...

Skirmishers are actually dismounted cavalry. Some technical limitations, defined by the followed doctrine of using the less possible resources in order the game is playable in multi-platforms and by machines with "humble" specs and hardware, forced us not to add cavalry units with dismounting abilities, horse artillery, etc. We are trying constantly to improve their behavior. On the other hand, with the exception of the opening battle skirms do not play a significant role in the battle flow.