Game-Labs Forum

Stories

Tragopan

Curious to know if anyone else likes to roleplay out their campaigns! AARs are fun too; always a good read.

Currently I started over on a CSA campaign on the weakest level while I try to learn how to effectively manage the OOB. I decided for this one though I was gonna do a bit of roleplaying.. so I made a plan. Being from Ireland myself I wanted to see what Irish involvement in the Civil War was like, but even Europeans know about the Irish Brigade in the Union. I did not know much about Irish involvement in the CSA though so I did a bit of digging and happened upon William Mahone. Seemed like a pretty interesting guy! Not an immigrant himself but not far off. He probably felt more American than Irish for sure. Worked on the railroad, had a big beard. Shows up in the game too!

So I began my CSA game named Mahone, with points towards infantry, business and logistics (since he commanded an Infantry brigade, was a successful businessman, and had a history in railroads). After mopping up the Fort with very few losses (probably the lowered difficulty) I entered into the OOB and dismissed the General you are given to represent your character. I have 3 reasons for doing this (first two of which I would like to suggest fixing by the game allowing you more customization when you first make your General). 

1) You cant select your portrait, so I will usually name myself something common in the generic officer pool. Then once I get close to finishing the first mission I will save. After I finish I go into the Barracks and see if an officer popped up with my name, and a portrait I like, then I'll dismiss my given General and use that officer to represent "me". If no such officer is present I will reload the previous save and keep doing that until I get the officer I'm looking for. 

2) You can't name yourself with a first and last name, so you have to choose between showing up as "William Mahone" (to use a familiar example) during the battle while everyone else just has a last name, or you'll just be "Mahone" in all the unit descriptions while everyone else has a first name. Getting an officer provided by the game works around this.

3) I was gonna make my story out of a historical officer! So I thought it best to just use the real Mahone given to me anyway down the line.

I don't yet have access to Mahone. Can't remember when exactly he shows up but I believe it is within 20 battles. Until then he'll just be a faceless name controlling the army. 

The Corps is mostly comprised of Irish Protestants who are Pro-English and see themselves more as Americans than Irish in exile. Their ancestors/recent immigration were driven by exploration and entrepreneurial spirit and have since integrated into the culture of the South. They are known for their hardiness and great stamina with no quarter shown to the enemy, yet no malice. The longest serving Brigade was mustered by William Mahone himself from his railroad workers, known as the Railroad Brigade. Current command rests with Colonel Albert Raith. The Sharpshooters are Native Americans who served as Scouts in the railroad employment. Have not thought of a good name for them yet! 

Eventually this Corps will swell to be completely Irish as Mahone breaks the Union lines and allows Pro-Democrat Irish to trickle into the CSA through Maryland. There will be bickering between Protestants and Catholics for sure, as well as Anti- and Pro- British arguments, but every Irishman can agree he will not serve as the Union's fodder! It will be a Corps designed for the attack, with mostly endurance and melee centric perks. It will be heavy on Infantry, with some Cavalry to serve as Scouts and long range counter-battery artillery that will sit on a hill and cover the advance. 

Look forward to seeing what stories others are coming up with!

Note: I was trying to fill out the Brigades in my first Corps (Carlin's Corps) with Officers who might have Irish, Irish-Scot, or English surnames. If anyone knows of any CSA generals who are Irish that show up in the campaign I'd appreciate the heads up so I can grab them!

Edited by Tragopan
Note