Game-Labs Forum

Any Advice for Nashville?

3 hours ago, Col_Kelly said:

Johnston is a fascinating character, a man born for war and an inspiring figure for the men. Had he been born in an aristocrat family during the middle-ages he would have been the most famous knight in History's pages.

Yet, though I don't know that much of the man, it appears to me when I read about Shiloh that he was simply too close to the frontline. This is not a job for an army commander whose death can shatter the morale of an entire army. Courriers weren't able to find him because he was moving all the time and the overall coordination of his army was impacted by that. Beauregard had to step-in that role and he just wasn't up to the task at all.

In the end I believe he was born at the wrong time : commanding an army in the victorian era requires planners, not heroes. Leading from the front became obsolete and that's exactly what the Texans reminded to R.E. Lee as he intended to lead an assault at the Wilderness : 'Go back General'!

Good words, sir, a very interesting take. However I think the interesting thing about Johnston, was that he was both a hero and a planner. He had the courage of John Bell Hood, but tempered by the tactical mind of "Stonewall" Jackson. In other words, he was reckless with his own life, but never with the lives of his men, like Hood was.

I consider Johnston and PGT Beauregard to be the sort of Lee/Jackson duo of the West. Beauregard was like Lee, a master strategist with big maneuvers and fancy battle-plans. Johnston was like Stonewall Jackson, a sharp tactical mind with the ability to actually execute those plans, and a heroic lead-from-the-front attitude that would inspire the men. I think, had Johnston survived, he and Beauregard would have been held with Robert E Lee, as one of the greatest generals and Southern war-heroes of all time.

Edited by Albert Sidney Johnston

On 7/10/2017 at 10:19 PM, sigsaucy said:

Now for my first run through of Battle of Washington.  I'M SO SCARED

Remember that with Washington, concentration of force is key when taking the forts and when defending. Don't garrison all the bloody trenches and don't waste time assaulting the trenches, just go for the forts and spread out from there. Same with defending, defend the forts, the flanks, and maybe a few key positions, but leave the rest.

Expect horendous casualties though... went in with an army of about 140k (cav and gun crews included) against Union forces that totalled (attacking and defending) about 200 k (guns and infantry and cavalry) and lost 62K men. 

I definitely wouldn't have wanted to be Grant though, he lost 120K men (guns and cav and inf) and I captured 3k men. 

Edited by vren55