Game-Labs Forum

Adding larger gun calibers

LDM

Recently I've been spending a decent amount of time editing various parameters in the resources.assets file and while many modifications seem relatively straightforward, attempting to increase the maximum size of armament has lead to some strange issues. As far as I can tell, the relevant data for increasing maximum gun size is present in "guns", "accuracy", "parts", "technologies" "shipTypes" and "partModels". Adjusting the stats for most of these files have been pretty easy, and using an adjustment to params to increase maximum size using the caliber increase seems to work just fine, but trying to add a new model for larger caliber guns in "partModels" results in infinite loading. Is there another section I need to look for to successfully accomplish this?

It's really difficult to imagine your situation without more hands-on context with showing every line you've entered (in case of shipTypes etc, changed), but I guess you did recognize that partModels is the exact element that starts giving you issues and you've not missed any commas when putting gun into International/Generic section (uppermost), as far as I recall you've found all the elements you've needed, all I personally can is deduce that while you've provided all stats for the gun to materialize itself, the game might then lack place in coding to connect all those for "gun_21_x1" and larger. And when the game's reading a range that achieves this 21-incher, it gets stuck due to lacking any instructions about "gun_21_x1" name. Probably similar to quintuple and sextuple gun turrets topic.

This can be disproven if you rename these lines in partModels back into 2 to 20 inch gun which should simply overwrite the earlier line, of course. And instead of getting stuck, incorrect line for gun model would just be skipped (and all the garbage after it) and gun calibers would get assigned an international/generic model in-game in shipyard as it loads successfully.

Thus regarding coding, @NathanKell would have been of more use for you to check it.

23 hours ago, LDM said:

Recently I've been spending a decent amount of time editing various parameters in the resources.assets file and while many modifications seem relatively straightforward, attempting to increase the maximum size of armament has lead to some strange issues. As far as I can tell, the relevant data for increasing maximum gun size is present in "guns", "accuracy", "parts", "technologies" "shipTypes" and "partModels". Adjusting the stats for most of these files have been pretty easy, and using an adjustment to params to increase maximum size using the caliber increase seems to work just fine, but trying to add a new model for larger caliber guns in "partModels" results in infinite loading. Is there another section I need to look for to successfully accomplish this?

5 hours ago, XerMGGW-2 said:

It's really difficult to imagine your situation without more hands-on context with showing every line you've entered (in case of shipTypes etc, changed), but I guess you did recognize that partModels is the exact element that starts giving you issues and you've not missed any commas when putting gun into International/Generic section (uppermost), as far as I recall you've found all the elements you've needed, all I personally can is deduce that while you've provided all stats for the gun to materialize itself, the game might then lack place in coding to connect all those for "gun_21_x1" and larger. And when the game's reading a range that achieves this 21-incher, it gets stuck due to lacking any instructions about "gun_21_x1" name. Probably similar to quintuple and sextuple gun turrets topic.

This can be disproven if you rename these lines in partModels back into 2 to 20 inch gun which should simply overwrite the earlier line, of course. And instead of getting stuck, incorrect line for gun model would just be skipped (and all the garbage after it) and gun calibers would get assigned an international/generic model in-game in shipyard as it loads successfully.

Thus regarding coding, @NathanKell would have been of more use for you to check it.

As a start, you can run with something that shows you the log, i.e. MelonLoader + UnityExplorer. The log might tell you what's going wrong, generally the game's code does log errors when it encounters issues. So that might give you enough of a hint. If it's just throwing up an exception, though, well, at least it might tell you where the exception is coming from.

I looked briefly into adding grades (which is doable, just kinda painful) but I haven't looked at larger guns.