Game-Labs Forum

How do I know which Brigades will appear available at battle set up?

Very new to UG:CW and on my first campaign. I am playing Union, at 1862 and my next battle is Malvern Hill. I am not sure how to articulate the question I posed in the subject. I followed the following guide series on YouTube and found it really helpful, https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLh627jSGoobz0eB2mpN2W9LFv6QKyy-6G .

Is there a way to specify which of my forces will be available on the battle? Early on it wasn't an issue. My corps was small enough that the entirety of it appeared in battle. Now that I have a larger force it seems entirely random which of my forces appear on the battlefield. In Malvern Hill I am getting none of my first division (which is all infantry),  the last two units of my second division, and all of my third and forth divisions (mostly scouts and arty). With the game cherry picking out of all my available forces I am not getting the force composition I would choose myself.

Is there any way to specify which of my forces it will pick? I get that some missions may cap how much you can bring and that's fine,. but is there some way that can do the choosing? I am imagining when I was a squad commander if I was going out on a patrol and at the last minute the platoon commander said, "you can't bring the LMG gunner or medic, but here, take the mess hall cook and motor-pool mechanic." Presumably  a civil war commander is sitting on his horse, readying his column to move out and could choose the makeup of his forces. 

Like I said, I am totally new to the game so maybe I am missing something basic. I have trying searching but am finding no answers on this issue. Right now my solution has been to save before leaving camp, start the battle and see which of my forces it chose, then reload back to camp to re-arrange my corps. Rather tedious.

20240129201353_1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I understand your frustration with the force composition in Ultimate General: Civil War. While it may seem random which units are deployed in battles, the game's mechanics are designed to simulate historical accuracy and limitations faced by commanders during the Civil War. There isn't a direct way to manually choose the units for each battle, as the game determines it based on the scenario and army organization. However, you can try experimenting with different army compositions and strategies to optimize your gameplay experience. It's also worth noting that saving before battles and reloading to rearrange your corps is a valid approach if you want to fine-tune your force composition, although it can be a bit tedious. Keep exploring and learning from the tutorial series you found helpful, and don't hesitate to reach out to the gaming community for further tips and strategies.

Edited by henryjamesss

Thanks for the reply. Reloading is what I have been doing, and saving a lot. I see which of my forces they gave me, then go back to camp to re-arrange my brigades. I wish it would allow me to specify the order of units within a division, rather than always putting infantry before arty so I could tweak the order of appearance.