Game-Labs Forum

improving your gunnery

Nathaniel Sheridan

Hi Nathaniel. There are some good YouTube videos that will probably be of some assistance to you. Just search for Naval Action and a list of tutorials should show up.

Purchasing a decent grade of Pellew's sights will help you in your accuracy as well. 

Don't get discouraged, we were all in your boots at one time.

• Like 1

I've had a bit of experience in combat and I'll give you a few tips that have helped me:

1. [V] - The V key is used to change the order in which your cannons fire. There are 3 options rolling front, rolling rear and random. Rolling front fires your guns from bow to stern. Rolling rear as the name suggest fires the guns from stern to bow, and Random fires the guns in a random order.Personally I use rolling front 99% of the time, as it allows better broadsides and allows better accuracy long range. I only use rolling rear if the enemy is situated in a position were I can hit him with my rear guns but not forward guns. 
  2. Timing is key. Your shot is influenced by a variety of factors including wave action, drag and heel. I find that unless you are within 25m of your target your best choice is to single fire each of your cannons using space bar.
  3. PRACTICE. Most of us began with no skill and have learned how to play through experience. While listening to us will give you an advantage in the short term, it's important to understand that knowledge doesn't equal skill. 

Estimate your distance by masts height. Practice with different models and with different gun types. Do not rush through ships without handling this "little" detail. It will be vital at any level, at any model. Once you get it you will be able to move around more confident and deliver your broadsides with efficiency without having to align everytime for ranging shots ( opening yourself for too long to a competente enemy player or high rank AI )

Once you get the hang of it [space] ranging shots will be almost useless and you will be able to concentrate more on the fine details of manual sailing.

-

Second, this is a personal thing, use unlocked no range. The guns will align in full pattern for sequential fire much better.

Use fixed convergence ranges when the enemy is within 250m.

Wait for the guns to converge before firing them at longer ranges.

Start aiming before enemy ship comes into view.

Don't shoot if enemy is behind a wave.

Use sails as reference points on where to aim at a certain distance.

• Like 1