Game-Labs Forum

Damage Farming - Demotions

Unless this is your first online game ever, I don't see how you can possibly pull the "I didn't know this was against the rules" defense.

Risk and loss free combat advancing your progress is something that is completely shunned in every multiplayer game, ever.

A special thanks goes out to the kind of player who does things like this, because in many games many great possible features are left out because of potential abuse. At least in Naval Action, the game administration decides to take the proper course of action: allow great features, punish those who can't have nice things.

Two enemy players work together to level up by farming damage and xp and not killing each other.  Usually, one has a larger ship and a bunch of smaller ships join in to farm damage, and everyone stops fighting after so much damage is farmed.  They then leave and repeat.

See now i knew this can be done. But had no idea its illegal.

Lets say American meets British.   They both have cerberus. 

They go somewhere remote to free or neutral town.  

Open battle to each other.  Pound each other to 10% armor. Exit battle. Repair in town. Exit town. engage into battle. Do it over and over for 10 hours.

This is a grey area, u can say they failing to sink each other, or u can say they cheating.   It is GREY area becoz Exp is rewarded for damage with out sinking.  

Open battle to each other.  Pound each other to 10% armor. Exit battle. Repair in town. Exit town. engage into battle. Do it over and over for 10 hours.

This is a grey area, u can say they failing to sink each other, or u can say they cheating.   It is GREY area becoz Exp is rewarded for damage with out sinking.  

This isn't much difference than sailing from a port near active, enemy held territory.  As long as they are each fighting each other as hard as possible, it's ok.

@ admin: when the next patch enables us to switch nations and i switch, so i can duel train new members without any sinking happening, but hull and crew damage, will the xp and gold generated with heavy frigates be enough to reach that treshhold? lets say about 10 fights per evening, 15-50 min per fight?

• Like 1

No, it is not a grey area, it is quite clearly an exploit. To think otherwise is naive or exceedingly obtuse.

Ok so lets do some maths. 

2 players fighting each other, no mater how as long as one of them sinks in the end it is legal ?   

So 2 basic frigates cost about 80k 

That gives you 10 battles.  if u get 10k per battle you  gaining exp and loosing nothing.  

I still see room for improvement. 

Oh btw i only had 4 pvp battles  as brit vs pirates and i sunk them all. hehe. 

I don't think anything actually happened to most of the cheaters yet because we still see some notorious cheaters still with their ranks that were doing it before this announcement and they are still damage farming with multi account openly as if they didn't care about this announcement. It seems they are just alternating between real fleet farming sessions with multi account damage farming sessions to avoid any demotion.

Edited by Hawat
  • Like 1

Why not ban them...

Obviously they were cheating/exploiting....

Why does this not rise to the level of a ban?

Because banning people is the worst thing for the game, since the game needs people. 

Same reason we don't execute people for speeding in real life, etc

I don't think anything actually happened to most of the cheaters yet because we still see some notorious cheaters still with their ranks that were doing it before this announcement and they are still damage farming with multi account openly as if they didn't care about this announcement. It seems they are just alternating between real fleet farming sessions with multi account damage farming sessions to avoid any demotion.

Have you considered providing evidence to the Tribunal forum?

I see a lot of slandering still going on, always with zero evidence.

• Like 1

Hey I have a question about this. I am part of a major swedish alliance on pvp 3 and at the moment we are trying to improve our tactics in battle. To that end we would like to train against an danish ally of us. The problem is if we just want to train we will surely stop before we sink an enemy ship, this is because our aim is just to practice and not to kill the enemy. We would not do this all the time and still have lots of other "real" pvp action. My Question is will we also be affected by this System or is it ok if we do that?

• Like 1

Hey I have a question about this. I am part of a major swedish alliance on pvp 3 and at the moment we are trying to improve our tactics in battle. To that end we would like to train against an danish ally of us. The problem is if we just want to train we will surely stop before we sink an enemy ship, this is because our aim is just to practice and not to kill the enemy. We would not do this all the time and still have lots of other "real" pvp action. My Question is will we also be affected by this System or is it ok if we do that?

As long as the enemy is fighting back and all sides take damage in an attempt to win, this should be fine.

There used to be numerous arranged battles where players could type STOP in chat, which counted as an honorable surrender to avoid sinking.

• Like 2

I'm not sure that's right, Maturin.  I think, because the way damage is divided by kills and assists to determine damage farming, just "training" off a friendly player could in theory land you in hot water, and get you flagged (or even automatically) demoted.  However, I think the threshold is high enough that doing training sessions, while still playing the game regularly, would be fine.  It seems that if all anyone did was "training," that would be the realm of damage farming.

•  These captains have not done ANYTHING except farming reaching 100k 150k damage per kill+assist. Such damage is impossible and exceeds even the highest averages. 

I'm not sure that's right, Maturin.  I think, because the way damage is divided by kills and assists to determine damage farming, just "training" off a friendly player could in theory land you in hot water, and get you flagged (or even automatically) demoted.  However, I think the threshold is high enough that doing training sessions, while still playing the game regularly, would be fine.  It seems that if all anyone did was "training," that would be the realm of damage farming.

That would be a rule change, IMHO.

The devs approved and even arranged non-fatal fleet battles in the past. After all, wouldn't the 'training' battle result in less damage and XP than a lethal one, overall?

People arrange duels to the informal surrender all the time. I think it should be about the competition, not the threshold of damage.

A possible solution to above comments about training and damage farming:

Would it be possible for the game developers to create a "Training Scenario" where allies could organize training sessions to learn fleet as well as solo tactics without the danger of losing ships or having to pay for repairs (ie, loss of cash) but at the same time due to lack of risk - since this is "training" not life and death combat - also not accrue any gains in XP or financial gain (ie, Gold)?? No risk - No gain. Not unlike professional sports such as American Football where there is a pre-season with "practice games" against league opponent teams (not in-house practice of offense vs defense) in real game conditions but with ultimate win/loss not counting for the actual season.

• Like 4

That would be a rule change, IMHO.

The devs approved and even arranged non-fatal fleet battles in the past. After all, wouldn't the 'training' battle result in less damage and XP than a lethal one, overall?

People arrange duels to the informal surrender all the time. I think it should be about the competition, not the threshold of damage.

well, if I were to take part in this, I'd quickly get a red flag on my account because I don't do normal PVP. So I'd just rack up damage against players while never sinking anyone and never sinking myself.  And isn't damage farming exactly that, arranging a fight with no sinkings?

IMO, if you want to train, go wild with Basic ships on both sides and sink each other. Overall you might break even, while making massive exp.

And your shipwrights will be very thankful for the opportunity to obtain extra notes, BPs and crafting exp

Edited by Quineloe

Plug the Expliod Holes please to get more Even in the XP Grind. Right now we have Superior Nation because they dont have that scruple to use those "half-Legal" Grinding Tactics. And why not Ban them? Some people are A.... they dont care if got reset they will do it again.

Im voting for a Ban if you get caught the Second Time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Came across two guys doing this last night, they were non too happy and the friendly started to try run us over as we were out messing about in cutters, was tempted to make a tribunal post, I don't believe resetting xp is the way to deal with it. This punishment has had no effect on others, it's still being exploited  They didn't even have the "fear" enough to go to an out of the way place to cheat

• 3 weeks later...

btw your automatic system have flaws for example i engage 3rd rate npc bringing them to 10% thean leave battle, re-enaging them in Ow over and over i can farm 500k dmg withouth sinking it engaging it 25 times+ in a raw , this will give a false positive? 

You fail to read the rule.

2 players or more. no npc involved.

Ok I'm a little confused by this. Is what Lord Vicious mentioned in the quote above allowed or is it also against the rules?