Game-Labs Forum

Damage Farming - Demotions

An honest question, when was damage farming made illegal? As far as I could find there were no rules specifying that it was deemed illegal.

Damage farming is ok

Exploiting damage mechanics to get abnormal gains is not ok

Such thing is not allowed since Feb 2015

It was the main reason we stopped sales through the paypal. Its in the rules.

+ Don't you think it ruins the game for others?

• Like 11

Wait, so it is against the rules to do as much damage as possible to a ship before ending the engagement?

One quote:

"Damage farming is ok"

But farming too much damage is against the rules? How much is too much? Could you tell us exactly how much xp they were getting per day?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, or troll, but I honestly don't want to share the same fate as these captains because I'm doing something that I think is the most rewarding use of time (in terms of leveling up) only to find out that I was on some watch list for a potential ban or xp reset. Were they at least warned?

They must have really, really done something impossible. (I hear tales of people who have been able to sweep through a whole rank in a day of gameplay, but I've been at it for over a week and only just now made it to level 5 I think).

Nevermind. I gotta stop posting on here when I first wake up. 100,000-150,000 damage for sinking a single ship is pretty obvious, lol. I panicked. I started sweating. Gonna go make coffee now.

Edited by ajffighter86

Damage farming is ok

Such thing is not allowed since Feb 2015

It was the main reason we stopped sales through the paypal. Its in the rules.

+ Don't you think it ruins the game for others?

Ahh, I see. The rules are not very clear, only through sifting through lots of posts was I able to find the Sea Rules, which did not mentioned damage farming, or using flawed game mechanics to their advantage (although it is rather obvious). Perhaps create a new forum category where an updated set of in-game rules are displayed?

Will it ruin the game? Most likely not. In the short term it does give an advantage, in the long term once everyone has ranked up it will do nothing.

When will said captains lose their rank?

Also is it not slightly harsh to reset their XP completely? Maybe use their game time and the average daily exp to calculate what rank they would be at having used the grinding methods considered to be fair? 

They have still paid for the game and put time into it which they cannot get back.

• Like 1

Damage farming is ok

I'm low level and don't have much gold or XP. I'm not looking for a way to exploit the game. Can an Admin please clearly explain what specific ingame actions I should be avoiding so I don't get my account removed or have my gold/XP reset? I don't understand "Damage Farming" or "Exploiting Damage Mechanics". Sounds somewhat political, because general statements like "play fair" or "don't cheat" really don't clarify the matter.

Not trying to be difficult. There may be other players who do not have much of an understanding of MMOs or competitive online games. I'm learning a lot though, and the detailed answers help.

• Like 1

I'm low level and don't have much gold or XP. I'm not looking for a way to exploit the game. Can an Admin please clearly explain what specific ingame actions I should be avoiding so I don't get my account removed or have my gold/XP reset? I don't understand "Damage Farming" or "Exploiting Damage Mechanics". Sounds somewhat political, because general statements like "play fair" or "don't cheat" really don't clarify the matter.

Not trying to be difficult. There may be other players who do not have much of an understanding of MMOs or competitive online games. I'm learning a lot though, and the detailed answers help.

i don't think they say how it works! after that they must punish 100 more guys :)

I wasn't aware they were doing anything wrong; I never saw any rules until they were brought to my attention today. Therefore due to my ignorance I am completely innocent. 

I tried that with the police once it didn't work so well :P

• Like 6

Damage Farming (of the "Against the Rules" variety):

Taking a large ship, say a Third Rate, captained by a Pirate or other nation, going into an instance, and then sitting there letting other ships pound on it for XP and Gold.  When the ship is getting low, everyone stops, it exits, repairs, repeat, ad nauseum.  Effectively, making a ship available to repeatedly pound on while not actually fighting back.

If you, say, chase a guy down and agree at the start of the match: "Hey, let's just fight until someone says uncle and then we'll sail off and exit", you're still causing damage to each other, you'll both still need to repair, that's generally ok.

There may be some other definitions, but in general, if you're in a battle instance and are fighting your ship to the best of your ability, you'll not fall afoul of the rules.

• Like 2

Damage Farming (of the "Against the Rules" variety):

Taking a large ship, say a Third Rate, captained by a Pirate or other nation, going into an instance, and then sitting there letting other ships pound on it for XP and Gold.  When the ship is getting low, everyone stops, it exits, repairs, repeat, ad nauseum.  Effectively, making a ship available to repeatedly pound on while not actually fighting back.

If you, say, chase a guy down and agree at the start of the match: "Hey, let's just fight until someone says uncle and then we'll sail off and exit", you're still causing damage to each other, you'll both still need to repair, that's generally ok.

There may be some other definitions, but in general, if you're in a battle instance and are fighting your ship to the best of your ability, you'll not fall afoul of the rules.

Its pretty black an white when explained this way and should be the end of discussion on what constitutes "farming".  Like another poster said, it is encouraging to see the developers engage in the community the way that these folks have and I applaud it.