Game-Labs Forum

On damage farming

148 members have voted

1. 1. Your position on damage farming

• It is my game I play how i want. No policy should be enforced.
    • It is my game - exploits ruin it. Strict policy should be enforced.

Regarding the money issue:

I am still the opinion that money will not be an issue in this game once there will be a player driven economy, where labor time is used to actually "generate" resources. A player driven eco was suggested since day one and I heard you are working on it. For the time beeing, you might consider to reduce the amount of money you get out of pvp fights to have a temporarily fix.

Not approved. I am not a grindmonkey and i loose ships on a regular basis in pvp, how am i supposed to get some expense?

Also, like it has already been said, it will all even itself out soon anyway. It takes a long time for to level and some people with no jobs or no life can sit there all day playing on it and grind up to max rank the way the devs planned but other people its not practical. I don't want to miss out on higher level game play because I don't have time to level, for example not being able to participate in port battles because I don't have the appropriate rank and therefore ship.  

@admin:

If I get this right, you are going to force players into a specific behavior, i.e. you have to fight back, you are not allowed to help your real life friend to level up, you have to play the game the way we want you to play. If I am right, I would ask you to reconsidder this, but preferable I would like to proof me wrong.

Exactly, I've witnessed first hand people not wanting to buy/play the game when they realise how long and boring the level grinding is.

• Like 1

1) the problem is that it is profitable. The players don't lose ships and they don't sink ships. They pay only for repair and they get more for the damage. So if you have pvp deaths or kills you are obviously not doin it.

2) another way how to check for this exploit would be to check with whom were the fights. If it is always 1v1 with the same person, without any kills, it is more probably the exploit.

I do not agree. If i do practise fights with someone i know from for example the US or Danish nation i will fight him a lot.

I am trying to improve my skills at that point, i will get xp and money. But i did not have the intention to farm. I just want to have some fights without losses and improve my skills by learning from another player that is actually a friend of mine.

What about this:

Player1 is attacking Player2, but Player1 is refusing to actually fight Player2 and gets sunk by Player2. Player1 is repeating this over and over again and at the end he is accusing Player2 being a damage farmer. You cannot force Player into a specific behavior.

Just open up your minds. If you want to fix it, you have to rework the whole XP system.

To fully solve the problem XP for just damage should be eliminated from PVP.

With corresponding increases in kill/assist xp.

Even WOW only gives you xp only if you kill someone. 

In this situation would capture count as kill ? I rather capture the ships than sunk them.

Does this explain the 19 3rd rates that attacked one of our ports last night and almost all of them were undercrewed... Interesting. 

I am for punishing people who exploit the system. If it was single player i would not care what people do, but in a PvP open world game i do care if the players i am fighting are richer and more powerful than me simply because they gamed the system. 

While I realize that the pirates found this crack in the system (and it should be sealed), I personally thought that the fact that they found and used it to sneak past the powerful foe and use this tactic to take the port from under their noses was effing brilliant.  I believe that this is often referred to as 'assymetrical' warfare in the present lexicon, no? Well done pirate lads.  The loophole should be closed - but well done nonetheless (makes the game better and fixes holes at the same time.)

Since I am not big on joining 'clans' ("I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member" Groucho Marx), while running around as a low level Yank and slowly ranking, this tidbit makes me rethink pirating... maybe. Not yet... but maybe. Regards all, Bob W (Muttley) Bristol, RI, US 

Correctly me if im wrong, but isn;t the whole idea of having xp for damage was for:

a. Still reward the player even if the player escaped

b. in the context that historically most engagement ended in draw, giving only xp on kills would force player to sink. Damage xp was there to promote fighting since you still get reward even if you didn`t win.

Edited by ulysse77
  • Like 3

good idea.

just one note : if you are a bad pvper and your enemies manage to flee you would have no kill and no sinking.

AND :

NO BAN triggered by an automatic system!!!!!!!

losing the illegal (not all) xp would be ok.

Bad PVPers don't have absurd amounts of damage inflicted on others, and usually also sink themselves.

How often do you put thousands of damage into a ship and then not sink it?

The examples admin gave couldn't be clearer.

damage farming is not normal combat, read it through, it is something ABNORMAL.

a bad player, a fleeing player, etc do not fall under this.

players that simply decide to give each other maximum xp under suspicious circumstances will be flagged and reviewed. simple as that.

Decrease the value you get for doing dmg and increase the value you get for assisting in a kill. For example: Give the player with most dmg the kill and 4 more players who did contribute most to the kill an assist.

Even noobs like me would get some xp out of a pvp-fight.

You would need to make it much more difficult to exit battles while fighting is still going on.  It is extremely easy to exit battles, even when on the verge of sinking.

Also, a good surrender system is needed to remove the whole complaint of not being able to fight with honor and give quarter, etc., etc. (not to mention the many other problems it would address).  All or nothing win / lose drives a lot of this "farming" behavior.

What about this loophole: 

1. Player1 has arranged fight with Player2,

2. Player1 kills Player2

3. Player2 kills Player1

4. GOTO 1.

That is not a loophole.  People can duel and kill eachother as much as they want.  It consumes ships just like real fighting, and it would be stupid for one side not to fight in each individual match, as both players rewards would be maximized by both players fighting in every match.

I do see a potential loophole with free cutters and premium ships, however.

• If you don't sink in battles and don't kill anyone and have a lot of pvp xp at the same time you are a damage farmer and your progress will be reset by the illegal amount. 
  •  

WRONG WRONG WRONG. Let me fix it for you:

- Or you could be a player in a clan who's mates get the kills, while you do alot of damage without putting yourself in a position to get sunk.

• If you don't sink in battles and don't kill anyone and have a lot of pvp xp at the same time you are a damage farmer and your progress will be reset by the illegal amount. 

You're describing the 2nd best player in a clan, here.

• Like 1

The main issue is pirates doing it, and you know what pirates love to do, exploit the game. I know Pirates are using exploits on PVP 2, should ban them all.

I think no matter what the devs do Pirates will find a way to exploit it, should just perma ban those who do it.

Yes the devs should have made a better system but at the same time pirates who have exploited this deserve to be banned and most pirates have, especially on PVP 2

The people we have initially noticed doing this ARE NOT PIRATES.  Sorry to rain on your pirate banning parade sir.

You don't have the first clue what you are talking about, please stop blaming pirates and start discussing the mechanic.  Who did what is OFF TOPIC for this thread.

I'm not saying that there aren't pirates doing this, but to continually harp on a nation when we are discussing a mechanic is out of order.  Thank you.

• Like 4