Game-Labs Forum

On damage farming

148 members have voted

1. 1. Your position on damage farming

• It is my game I play how i want. No policy should be enforced.
    • It is my game - exploits ruin it. Strict policy should be enforced.

Captains.

Our original XP design was and still is simple: Players actively fighting in battle should be rewarded even if they don't win. This was how it was in the age of sail times - captains were rewarded for bravery in action - even if they lost battles.Majority of players enjoys this system.

But there are people who are abusing it.

One example of damage farming is when players shoot each other without sinking. This creates supply of gold inflating the resources and it allows them to sail ships sooner than good players can do. If it was a single player game we would not care - but on the PvP servers having a bigger ship faster gives you a lot of advantages and we keep a very strong positions on this. Most importantly these farmers offend our good players and spoil the game for them. 

We have designed the automatic system that will reset damage farmers XP and cash for abnormal gains. We are starting to roll it out this by end of the week. 

System is simple and foolproof because we track pvp damage and pvp kills separately since first sea trials. 

Abnormal PVP XP per kill/assist is impossible to receive if you don't damage farm

• If you were awesome pvper (who does not die) you will still have a lot of kills or assists
  • If you were a bad pvper you will still have an ok number of kills/assists + you will have deaths. 
  • If you don't sink in battles and don't kill anyone and have a lot of pvp xp at the same time you are a damage farmer and your progress will be reset by the illegal amount. 

For example

Weekly gains

• 10000 pvp XP, 89 pvp kills, 31 deaths - pvp player
  • 4500 pvp XP, 9 pvp kills, 131 deaths - pvp player
  • 12000 pvp xp, 9 pvp kills, 0 deaths - damage farmer 

You can stop reporting damage farming now Captains. System will handle them itself.

What you can do is let them know in battle or in chat that they might face consequences.

Please bring examples of damage farming here in this topic so we can find the way to close the loopholes to make the game better. We rely on you Captains. Only last week we were able to close 3 critical potential exploits caused by code and all cases were brought to us by you. 

• Like 21

How much damage do you need to cause to get an assist?

yea i was thinking the same thing. when my clan and i were attacking OW Ai fleets i know i hit all the ships at least once so i could get the assist exp. but the report only gave me credit for the ones i actively attacked the most.

yea i was thinking the same thing. when my clan and i were attacking OW Ai fleets i know i hit all the ships at least once so i could get the assist exp. but the report only gave me credit for the ones i actively attacked the most.

AI always fights back 

PvE xp is calculated separately. You cannot farm the AI without actually fighting. We are talking about pvp xp where exploiters arrange farming each other in secluded places: pirate vs pirate, or pirate vs nations or nations vs nations

• Like 1

Landing at least 10 shots usually does it for me

I have said it on here before and ill say it again. In every group, 10% of people are asshats or misfits, the rest generally try to have fun and enjoy the game. I have no qualms punishing the cheaters that risk the integrity of the game for everyone else, bring on the XP resets. 

• Like 2

How about this scenario....I engage target, find myself losing the battle and choose to run. A one on one battle with enemy ai. Would I still receive xp from the damage I DID inflict?

I ask because I definitely gained experience. Maybe I shouldn't have tried that tactic or tried to fight that foe alone.

Hutch

Looks like i wont be able to give out quarter in pvp anymore for the chance of being branded a farmer :P but good news all round, those ones dilibrately sitting in small battles next to each other and farming needed to get what was coming to them

You can still give quarter if you want, you would have to be ridiculously good in pvp to be legit and get punished by this system.

Although now looking at it I see ways to get around it. Just take garbage boats out start a fight and get sunk on purpose a few times. Admin, would that be a way of getting around the system?

Edited by Remo

You can still give quarter if you want, you would have to be ridiculously good in pvp to be legit and get punished by this system.

Although now looking at it I see ways to get around it. Just take garbage boats out start a fight and get sunk on purpose a few times. Admin, would that be a way of getting around the system?

I think no matter what the devs do Pirates will find a way to exploit it, should just perma ban those who do it.

initially i writed a report than i cancel it with loopholes becouse  i think is better send it in private so admin you have a pm from me read it, i found  2 way to avoid your sistem

ps: use multiple account for engage battles vs npc is allowed right?  using them as meatshield for absorb dps/put down sail ?

Edited by Lord Vicious

I think no matter what the devs do Pirates will find a way to exploit it, should just perma ban those who do it.

I don't think the Devs want to swing that particular hammer around too much, yes people will always find a way to exploit it, yes they will usually be Pirates. I'm sure the Devs will figure something out.

I guess it is a problem mainly among pirates. I cannot imagine how to arrange a battle with enemies at our horses, they hate us with passion. The border is short and I thing somebody would definitely join etc. What about granting xp for pirate only if it sinks? Also i guess it could be analyzed by moving patterns during combat, I guess offenders will be rather stationary and not trying to outmaneuvre the other for 30 minuter.