Game-Labs Forum

A suggestion for navigation

First mate/Navigator?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Ye need a first mate, yeah or nay?

• Yeah!
    • Nay!

All we need are
- ruler and pencil for our map

- Journal for logging direction (S, SE, N, W and etc.), time and aproximate speed. - Each entry can be created once per 5 minutes minumum for example by clicking on some button.

That's all!

With that we will be able to plot a course. It's realistic and enough for such game. 

• 3 weeks later...

We had an extended conversation about this in game the other day.  And opinions vary between having to use a sextant (and knowing how to use one on a simulator level) to just being told where you're at.

That said, I'm a passionate sea kayaker and we normally navigate through coastal triangulation.  This could be done simply by using a compass and ruler and a more detailed terrain map so we could point out land features.  Now, there is a balance between being too easy and too hard.  You can't go overly simulator mode or it'll never be used and/or people will complain that nobody knows how to use it (which would be true.  Most people don't know how to triangulate, though it's one of the easier things to do in navigation).  So, just having a compass with a straight edge on one side (think ARMA III [game] compass on their map) that you can move and rotate around a map would be very beneficial in tandem with a more detailed map.  Even old sea charts tended to note important land marks for navigation sake.  On one of the routes I've decided to use for trade runs recently there's a rather tall mountain that I've noted is approx. my half way point.  Just having that extra bit of information would be useful to a majority for coastal navigation.

Now as for the open water, there comes the bigger problem.  I do like the idea of having some sort of crew/crew skill to help with navigation.  Even if it just puts a circle on your map that gives you a rough approximation and the size of it varies on weather conditions and the like.  Just a few cents of thought...

Now as for the open water, there comes the bigger problem. I do like the idea of having some sort of crew/crew skill to help with navigation. Even if it just puts a circle on your map that gives you a rough approximation and the size of it varies on weather conditions and the like. Just a few cents of thought...

Something like the one a few posts up? We are looking for feedback... which might or might not have some influence if we can fine tune it based on player input.

Something like the one a few posts up? We are looking for feedback... which might or might not have some influence if we can fine tune it based on player input.

I haven't gone into much detail as to what I feel may or may not work on that line of thought because I'm both A.) fairly sure it's not the best idea to implement and B.) I'm not entirely sure how it'd be implemented yet in my mind.  It's something I'm still thinking over, and will definitely post again when I think of something more supplemental.

Here's what ours looks like.  Is that what you have in mind?

Although I do like your effort for the map, I belive you have a post about it in the map section of this forum. While your idea might be for it to be implemented or not, my suggestion is for some sort of implementation in the game, and for that sake it does feel like you're highjacking this thread. 

Feel free to comment on the suggestion made in the OP.

I think that having a crew and officers that get better the longer you keep them together would be a good counterbalance to various unrealistic suicide tactics. Especially for gunnery reload.

Given that using landmarks and straight lines makes navigation relatively easy, I'm skeptical that the proposed mechanic will have much lasting value... the person on board whose skill will improve the most in that area is the player.

There are situations where one gets pretty well lost, but I don't think varying degrees of accuracy will make enough difference to warrant the warrant officer.

I think that having a crew and officers that get better the longer you keep them together would be a good counterbalance to various unrealistic suicide tactics. Especially for gunnery reload.

Given that using landmarks and straight lines makes navigation relatively easy, I'm skeptical that the proposed mechanic will have much lasting value... the person on board whose skill will improve the most in that area is the player.

There are situations where one gets pretty well lost, but I don't think varying degrees of accuracy will make enough difference to warrant the warrant officer.

That is very good feedback, and I do agree with most of it. Think this will be more helpful for new players, although it might make others more inclined in longer journeys as well. 

It could just as well be enough with a spyglass available on the OS to make it easier to spot landmarks.

I don't think any respectable captain of that time would ask his officers where they are unless he really wants to loose his command.

However, some rulers in map view and sextant would be a cool tools. And also accurate stars at night. However they're not exactly necessary.