Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
golden hind

historic game need historic instruments

hi,

i start play  1 week ago and like naval action very much. its realistic but i miss something.....

i understand Devs make this game not easy.  But u should create a option to allowed sailors find his position on map.

Option: like a "Sextant" (sry im german). Player can work with a sextant or other similar instrument to fokus horizont or stars, sun  a.s.o and a map to calculate own position. This makes game NOT easier, player must learn with....

and its historic correctly....

another is lighttowers in ports,  spyglass must be aviable in OW

its a very big world and all this should be in Naval Action and im sure Devs can do....

regards  

golden hind

• Like 4

yea you should be able to calculate you position, but they also then need to change the map and add coordinates in that map so the sextant will be usefull

• Like 1

I know the Lighhouses be coming someday. And Me things a sextant would be a great idea!

Also, cabin boys would be nice. yarrr!

I'd love to see some drawing tools for the map screen so you can plot a course and get a more accurate direction for your compass. Right now the navigation on the overworld is a joke.

Agree 100%.

We actually have fewer tools to sail by in Naval Action than the actual navigators of the historical time period did. Nobody best-guessed their position in the Age of Sail, and nobody sailed the oceans by dead reckoning. Navigation was an established science, and it enabled maritime traffic that was as predictable as possible at the time, with account for wind and of course.

Navigational aids need to exist. It can be a sextant and compass minigame, or something of the sort, but none of this "best guess navigation" will do in the long run.

On the other hand we have pixel perfect compasses, pixel perfect maps. Both things they had none of in the "age of sail". Oh and we can plan ahead of wind and direction too.

On the other hand we have pixel perfect compasses, pixel perfect maps. Both things they had none of in the "age of sail". Oh and we can plan ahead of wind and direction too.

No leeway. No currents. No tide. Perfect clocks.

As I say, the outcome is more true to life than it would be with a full suite of navigation instruments. 

I'm a little torn on this topic..

On one hand, I hate the hand holding most games have gotten into the habit of producing nowadays. Heck, most of them you could play with your eyes closed. (Over exaggeration, but not by much)

On the other hand, in the time period, they had "navigators" that would spend the trip marking plots, reading wind, weather, currents, and stars. Just to give the Captain an "idea" of their location. As far as I know, we are the Captains, not the navigator. And, since this is a game, having a few "tools" to be able to plot a course, and mark my location, on my map, doesn't seem too far fetched. 

Example:

Open map. (M)

In the corner you see:

1:Plot course: Use a "pencil" to draw on the map. These lines would stay until cleared. They are used to also calculate mileage. Only used on the map, and for the "Navigator".

2:Clear course: (Self explanatory)

3:Navigator: Mark Location: Would have a "timer". The longer the distance of the voyage, the longer the timer takes to calculate.(Which could also have stipulations, like having to be stopped. Which could be dangerous in OW, on pvp server) The "navigator" (In game majik, maybe with a cool animation later?) would take "X" amount of time to calculate your position, and give you a "close" estimation and place a mark on the map.

4:Calculate Mileage: Using the course plotted, it would calculate distance in nautical miles. (Must have a course plotted)

(Maybe more)

Don't get me wrong, I would never want some huge flashing "beacon", and an exact "You are Here", button. But, it could be done in a way that would be immersive, and not hold your hand, at the same time.

`Torn`

EDIT: Damn typos..two fingers....lol

EDIT2: My son and I were talking about this last night. And, he came up something nice to go along with this. 

Because we dont want our hand held. I mention above about being stopped. (Which adds "risk" in marking your location) The "mark" should NOT be exact! So, as the timer counts down, from the "navigator". Have a magnifying glass move along our plotted course. The closer to the ship actual location gets, the closer the camera moves in on the map. When the navigator finishes. In the center of the magnifying you see an X, but the ship is "magnified". And the circle of the glass, could work like the circle that we see as we are at port. All this mark would be "good" for, is for the player to see "close" to where they may be. And, using the Navigator, should have a little risk involved. And, on a slight cool down. 

Edited by B4DD4WG

No leeway. No currents. No tide. Perfect clocks.

As I say, the outcome is more true to life than it would be with a full suite of navigation instruments. 

we have tides,

the ingame map is based of a 17th century map and is not accurate, since the game wourld is based of satelite pictures

we have tides,

the ingame map is based of a 17th century map and is not accurate, since the game wourld is based of satelite pictures

The ingame map is pixel accurate to the actual ingame representation of the gameworld... I don't believe I ever said anything about the real world. Charts of that era could not claim this - least of all in regions that weren't travelled by one and all frequently. Nor are shallows an issue in the game.

Edited by Mansen

And, since this is a game, having a few "tools" to be able to plot a course, and mark my location, on my map, doesn't seem too far fetched. 

Example:

Open map. (M)

In the corner you see:

1:Plot course: Use a "pencil" to draw on the map. These lines would stay until cleared. They are used to also calculate mileage. Only used on the map, and for the "Navigator".

2:Clear course: (Self explanatory)

3:Navigator: Mark Location: Would have a "timer". The longer the distance of the voyage, the longer the timer takes to calculate.(Which could also have stipulations, like having to be stopped. Which could be dangerous in OW, on pvp server) The "navigator" (In game majik, maybe with a cool animation later?) would take "X" amount of time to calculate your position, and give you a "close" estimation and place a mark on the map.

4:Calculate Mileage: Using the course plotted, it would calculate distance in nautical miles. (Must have a course plotted)

(Maybe more)

It's not far-fetched.   More info and a rant.

we have tides,

:huh:

No we don't. What are you talking about?

Wrong again. The gameworld is based on 18th century charts, and matches the in-game map. If you ever tried to navigate using Google Maps, you would notice the huge differences.

:huh:

No we don't. What are you talking about?

Wrong again. The gameworld is based on 18th century charts, and matches the in-game map. If you ever tried to navigate using Google Maps, you would notice the huge differences.

Like the fact Bensalem is out of a 1627 novel, and apparently never existed?

But I agree we should get historic instruments:

Agree 100%.

We actually have fewer tools to sail by in Naval Action than the actual navigators of the historical time period did. Nobody best-guessed their position in the Age of Sail, and nobody sailed the oceans by dead reckoning. Navigation was an established science, and it enabled maritime traffic that was as predictable as possible at the time, with account for wind and of course.

Navigational aids need to exist. It can be a sextant and compass minigame, or something of the sort, but none of this "best guess navigation" will do in the long run.

You have never sailed (if so never at sea without gps) i am guessing? Sailing even today (unless using GPS) is always done by dead reckoning, unless coastal sailing with continuous land marks to check your position. No sailer knows where they are using traditional methods until they take the once a day sun shot or a polar shot (Northern hem) using the sextant, and then if cloudy that may not be poss, At that point you have a position to dead reckon the course you need to reach your next way point, this has to be calculated to take into account the tidal currents, the leeway of the ship and the speed through the water. Untill your next sun shot all you have is dead reckoning and that is a s true today as it has always been. Been there, done it, spent many many days at sea out of sight of land and not in a game. The real joy of navigation is the realisation that your dead reckoning worked out and you are where you hoped you were. (Still got my sextant somewhere)

Edited by MikedaBike