Game-Labs Forum

Upcoming patches this week.

So what if it wanted to be a pirate, would i be better off doing the normal pirate thing and attacking. It would be better to allow to transfer crafted xp if no ships or gold is transferred then how will i gain gold if i only have high level missions. I think they need to include crafted xp before nation changing is allowed.

Or increase crafting Xp

What about my Clan to? I  think the Nation swap needs more testing and thinking about.

You'd be better off sailing over to the nearest friendly ship in the Open World and clicking the Attack button, since you'll keep all of your gold, the ship you're sailing, crafting XP, etc.

• Like 1

Can I just confirm im reading this right? I am A pirate, and want to change to the Dutch. I delete my char (after the update of course) and make a new 'Dutch' character, I will loose all my gold/ships but start a new with my XP still intact? If so that is wonderful news indeed! I was very near to re-rolling and being that im at rank 'Raider' I was felling a little hard done by! So really fantastic news if this is the case

-.- went british to play with some longer term friends, was halfway to raider on saturday when I did, then they announced this, lmao. Oh well I'm having a blast being able to explore more ports and coast line.

Would like to see craft XP linked to the account at least , it takes a lot of time and money invested to level up the craft XP and it should not be separated from the regular XP on players accounts.

I'm a bit worried about the Nations switches,  without any cooldown required, one or 2 weeks cooldown where after a change you will be not be able to move again will prevent some bunny hoping .

Edited by Kanay

How about a diplomatic way to change the allegiance of your player character based on who you attack.

If anyone has every played Sid Meyers Pirates,  I'm proposing a system where each player can change their allegiance based on actions or choices made in game.  If a player attacks ships of an enemy at war, they gain fame with the opposing nation.  For example:

England is at War with France

England is at War with Spain

An English Player attacks any French or Spanish Players, they gain favor with England and lose favor with France or Spain.

If a French player attacks an English player they gain favor with BOTH Spain and France and can dock at some Spanish Capital ports.

If an English Player, attacks another English player, they lose ALL allegiance points, become an enemy of England and can no longer dock at any English port.  

When a player has enough fame points with another Nation they can dock at the Capital and then request to change allegiance to the other nation.

How about a diplomatic way to change the allegiance of your player character based on who you attack.

If anyone has every played Sid Meyers Pirates,  I'm proposing a system where each player can change their allegiance based on actions or choices made in game.  If a player attacks ships of an enemy at war, they gain fame with the opposing nation.  For example:

England is at War with France

England is at War with Spain

An English Player attacks any French or Spanish Players, they gain favor with England and lose favor with France or Spain.

If a French player attacks an English player they gain favor with BOTH Spain and France and can dock at some Spanish Capital ports.

If an English Player, attacks another English player, they lose ALL allegiance points, become an enemy of England and can no longer dock at any English port.  

When a player has enough fame points with another Nation they can dock at the Capital and then request to change allegiance to the other nation.

While personal diplomacy would be nice, there needs to be national diplomacy introduced first. I've already made a suggestion (ref sig block) to get the ball rolling and personal diplomacy could then be added from there.

• Like 1

I can say from my own experience playing with the UK in PVP2 that many players wish to change into the underdog factions. I've had several friends switching to Spain. I also agree that it seems like a concurrent theme of the imperial age to have captains switching sides, with informers in all sides of the front.

• Like 1

Well, playing with your mates matter.

This is a shame, so now people will be leaving lower pop nations and going with the zerg with hardly any penalty's... How is this a good idea?

If you want to switch nations then you should start from new, Devs have done well until now, this is a very bad idea IMO.

I can see it now, if it's left like this we will have Brits vs Pirates and nothing else in a year from now.

The point is that this will actually hurt pvp and the wider game. Many people will jump to whoever they feel is strongest, or if their nation is doing badly just abandon ship rather than fight, especially if there are ways to get around the gold and equipment wipe.

If you're going to add nation switching then you might as well just make the game 1v1 Pirates vs Britain. Someone shouldn't be allowed to switch factions when they are losing. Allow players to make informed decisions before they join a faction. Get rid of the difficulty settings since they are pretty much BS for instance Sweden is set to Very Hard so even fewer people would want to play them making it even harder. 

Thing is, what the three of you are afraid of, just as well swings the other way. In PotBS alot of players and socs swapped nations between maps to strenghten underdogs. Furthermore, people that just drop out of a nation and joining "the winning side" wouldn't really learn much, so the "zerg nation" doesn't necessarily gain the best captains. This game has a pretty high skill level, and as far as I think will require some serious coordination and cohesion from a unit to be really effective, wich is something players joining "zergs" is not likely to pick up.

I can say from my own experience playing with the UK in PVP2 that many players wish to change into the underdog factions. I've had several friends switching to Spain. I also agree that it seems like a concurrent theme of the imperial age to have captains switching sides, with informers in all sides of the front.

Officers were employed by regents, not always their own. When the grunts did it, they were mercenaries. But it did occur, most definetly.

• Like 1

Did happen quite often, especially when Britain and France were at peace. For example, british captains on half pay served in the swedish and russian navies during the Russo-Swedish War of 1788-1790, so they could end up shooting at each other.

And ~ 80 swedish officers served in the American Revolutionary war, on the french, american and british side.

Officers went were the action (and, consequently, money) was.

Did happen quite often, especially when Britain and France were at peace. For example, british captains on half pay served in the swedish and russian navies during the Russo-Swedish War of 1788-1790, so they could end up shooting at each other.

And ~ 80 swedish officers served in the American Revolutionary war, on the french, american and british side.

Officers went were the action (and, consequently, money) was.

Indeed. What alot of people today forget (or don't know) is that nationalism is a phenomena of the 19th century. Before that each man was his own to a much greater extent.

• Like 2

Allowing people to switch nations as the devs have stated will not result in only two superpowers.

Brits and rats will always be high pop due to their inheant popularity. It will allow lower pop nation to gather more players. Not everyone likes to play PvP on easy mode by being part of the zerg. Being part of a low pop nation presents more targets.

Spying will always be present. There isn't much to do about it that isn't already done. Nothing prevents collusion and the logical thing to do is keep targets out of chat.

Nothing prevents people from having multiple steam accounts and there are only like 8 nations. Best to learn how to deal with spying then trying to make someone else take care of it for you.

Great news. But besides the group XP and the possibility to share the missions, what about to the difficulty  from 6  and above level missions?

It would be necessary to do missions without so  much difficulty in levels from 6 and above, when you're alone. Upload the difficulty if you go in a group. Now if you are alone, is really hard to finish the missions. We come to enjoy, to make the game a challenge, not a job.

Congratulations preventing npcs can disengage from the battle, I lost ships when an npc  unhooked 5 times in a row and this is impossible might happen.

Great job and thank you very much.

Can I just confirm im reading this right? I am A pirate, and want to change to the Dutch. I delete my char (after the update of course) and make a new 'Dutch' character, I will loose all my gold/ships but start a new with my XP still intact? If so that is wonderful news indeed! I was very near to re-rolling and being that im at rank 'Raider' I was felling a little hard done by! So really fantastic news if this is the case

Bad news i guess, concidering the exploit from pirate nation...

Allowing people to switch nations as the devs have stated will not result in only two superpowers.

Brits and rats will always be high pop due to their inheant popularity. It will allow lower pop nation to gather more players. Not everyone likes to play PvP on easy mode by being part of the zerg. Being part of a low pop nation presents more targets.

Spying will always be present. There isn't much to do about it that isn't already done. Nothing prevents collusion and the logical thing to do is keep targets out of chat.

Nothing prevents people from having multiple steam accounts and there are only like 8 nations. Best to learn how to deal with spying then trying to make someone else take care of it for you.

Indeed, my friends and I plan to switch from US to French as that was the faction we played for in PotBS, also we only joined US to learn the game initially and never planned to stay for long.

I really doubt we will see some super-faction, not everyone likes being a Pirate or being a Lobster.

In fact I honestly expect the US to take the most damage during the "Migration", as most new players were told to play on US to learn the game.

Edited by Remo

OP talks about being able to change Nations and syncing to Steam account - When will we have the ability to change nations without losing Exp??.....and how do we do this???

Thanks!.

Possibly tomorrow I would suspect.

Although be careful, make sure you read patch notes if they come up, you don't want to accidentally delete your character and actually lose progress.

Edited by Remo