Game-Labs Forum

Beautiful work

DaveyJJ

Hi Nick,

Old wargamer here (more than 40 years), original Unity evangelist (member #5 on their forums, I was beta testing pre-version 1 when it was only Nicholas, Joachim and David in a basement eating pizza), old happy guy, and game and software beta tester for two decades. Award-winning designer for more than two decades to earn my living.

I have to say stunning work so far. Really beautiful. You've managed to capture an original look that ties in nicely with the battle being developed first, nice terrain, and a look-and-feel that will get you some real notice. Congrats all around. I can't wait to play this on my iMac and iPad. Been waiting for a really good wargame forever.

Are you aware of Bowen Simmon's newest wargame, The Guns of Gettysburg? http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/36400/the-guns-of-gettysburg

Are you taking any inspiration from it like non-historical/random entry of forces so that each battle is fresh and new? Gettysburg gets "old" pretty fast for us grogs who know exactly where and when everyone is coming onto the field. Simmon's is a master of wargame design and he's brought a remarkable effort to the table with this title. Just curious.

Again, fantastic work. If you ever need anyone to really hammer on it during beta testing, I can send along many references and I'd be thrilled to provide feedback to help you get a fantastic product out the door.

• Like 1

Thank you really for your post. Please stay in touch so you can help us with your feedback soon.

About Simmon's games I have heard and I have read some of his remarkable and thorough researches. I must say though that I try to be original and while I have got ideas from other games I want to make something more direct and dynamic in gameplay, to keep the complexity in the background while the player makes the big decisions. 

So the Gettysburg battle will allow dynamic challenge in multiple ways, because maybe a reinforcement delayed, because maybe a lucky shot killed a general soon, because an objective was finally taken by the other side and so a next battle is triggered and so on. Also our plans are to make the user unlock custom historical and speculative battles (there will be plenty, more than 30) and with an additional battle randomiser you can have a new battle whenever you want, just for the fun.

That all sounds fantastic. It'll be very curious to see it delivered, and then how it develops past that minimum viable product stage to a highly polished and full-blown system. The dynamic nature of the battlefield, if you can capture it, will help the game stand apart. Again, beautiful work and I'll be keeping a close eye on it to watch your progression.