Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Capt-Pugwash

Lack of realism

Hi, been a tester since the game went to OW so have been through the evolution of the game.

At the moment on the PVE server you can sail around blindfold and be pretty sure you will not be attacked. eg sailed my Niagara next to enemy belle Poulle and privateer and they sailed on happily without engaging. This is so arcadey it is spoiling the game. I remember when you had to dodge enemy ships if you did not want to be engaged and that was part of the fun. Would be great having an enemy loom out of the fog and have no time to escape.

Secondly the enemy ship routes desperately need to be sorted. Having all manner of enemy ships sail right up to your capitol is again so not realistic. would not have a problem with them passing by but they sail right up a dead end channel to an enemy capitol and then turn around.

These 2 things are really spoiling the game.

• Like 4

Hi, been a tester since the game went to OW so have been through the evolution of the game.

At the moment on the PVE server you can sail around blindfold and be pretty sure you will not be attacked. 

Isn't that the whole point of a PVE server?

Why don't we just make it take 3 days to catch up to a ship you can see on the horizon. How about it take weeks to sail from port to port.

Gameplay > realism

• Like 1

I cannot believe there are so many ( removed by moderator) on this site. Just because you don't want to fight PVP does not mean you do not want realism in the game. Going on your backwards logic a PVP server would have no computer ai and how would that be.

Angry.

Why don't we just make it take 3 days to catch up to a ship you can see on the horizon. How about it take weeks to sail from port to port.

Gameplay > realism

Pretty sure he was talking about everything but Sailing in specific...realism does not automatically equate to real life sailing times that is just stupid

• Like 1

PvE server should definitely has more aggressive NPCs.

I don't think the pathing (hostile ships approach your ports) can really be fixed without a ton of rewritten code at this point, though.

• Like 2

ai aggressiveness should be increased on the pve server. i totally understand what Capt Pugwash means. We use to have pretty agressive ai but it was toned down due to the fact that alot of ppl said , ai was getting in the way of port captures. kept attacking the flag carrier (which thinkin bout it is actually not that bad), but it also kept others from joing port battle cause they couldnt make it to it. on the pve server that can't happen , so it could be put back where it was. I am not sure if they can do that but it would be alot more fun for the ppl on the pve server.

on a side note : only because you are on the pve server does not mean you do not want to fight. you don't want to fight other players maybe , or you're there out of others reason. I am pretty sure everyone over there loves the ship battles and enjoy them . Why can't the game go both ways ? I mean surely the more that  play (pve + pvp) the better it is. the pve servers allows to screw around with the ai. u can put in big fleet for example. u can test alot fo stuff there which doesnt concern pvp.

• Like 2

i agree these point too ai on pve need to be far more aggressive and the occasional enemy ship i could see near an enemy port or contraband/smuggler ships make sense but no fleets of them. i also think in pve we should have the option for more repairs because in pve you are normally fighting the battles you want and on your terms if you don't want to use repairs then don't

Isn't that the whole point of a PVE server?

The point of a PvE server usually is to not be attacked by Players. This is the only game I know of where a PvE server means no AI aggro.

• Like 2

Gameplay > realism

having french war ships sail past british warships or right into a british port at a time the two were actively at war doesn't make for good gameplay though.

• Like 1

The point of a PvE server usually is to not be attacked by Players. This is the only game I know of where a PvE server means no AI aggro.

Agreed, never seen it used in this manner before.  PVE = Player versus Environment, formerly known as PVM or Player Versus Monsters way way back in the Ultima Online days.  

ai aggressiveness should be increased on the pve server. i totally understand what Capt Pugwash means. We use to have pretty agressive ai but it was toned down due to the fact that alot of ppl said , ai was getting in the way of port captures. kept attacking the flag carrier (which thinkin bout it is actually not that bad), but it also kept others from joing port battle cause they couldnt make it to it. on the pve server that can't happen , so it could be put back where it was. I am not sure if they can do that but it would be alot more fun for the ppl on the pve server.

on a side note : only because you are on the pve server does not mean you do not want to fight. you don't want to fight other players maybe , or you're there out of others reason. I am pretty sure everyone over there loves the ship battles and enjoy them . Why can't the game go both ways ? I mean surely the more that  play (pve + pvp) the better it is. the pve servers allows to screw around with the ai. u can put in big fleet for example. u can test alot fo stuff there which doesnt concern pvp.

I sail mostly on the PvE server because of fatherly duties require me to be absent for periods of time that is beyond my control. Not everyone is out to avoid PvP on a wholesale basis, when I know I have the time I'm keen to be on the PvP server looking for trouble...

I do wish NPC aggro was better, they need to be chasing and attacking one another, they need to be chasing and running from Players, it NEEDS the depth. Port battles are another aspect I truely would like to see on the PvE server, it would actually mean players need to put effort in to capture a port or repel invasion fleets.

Edit: added info.

Edited by JJWolf
  • Like 1

Ah ok. You mean AI ships attacking players when they come in their range. This used to be implemented, but was removed because it actually got in the way of PVPing. I understand your point that on a PVE server you might want that mechanic back.

• Like 1

I just started about a week ago, and I have to agree. AI needs to be somewhat aggressive. No need to be bombarded by AI everytime you enter the OW. But, if you are going by enemy ports, or have "reputation" (Which isn't a thing I don't think. But, should be. Topic for another discussion.) for attacking trade ships of a faction. That factions ships are more prone to attacking you. PVE, doesn't mean "No Action".......

• Like 3

What we have here is a case of a frustrated player posting a shorthand thread expressing his frustrations, and...well, an internet community. Which is not always the most hospitable or organisms.

I think we can all agree on a few things:

• There are perfectly reasonable reasons why players would want to join a PVE server;
  • PVE doesn't mean there should be a complete lack of combat related activities;
  • PVP players are aggressive by nature, and
  • The game is very much still in development.

To the original poster:

I understand your frustration. I think the lack of sophisticated AI is merely a result of the game developers focusing on other features and fixes at the moment. I hope you'll stick with them while they continue to flesh out that aspect of the game.

To the community:

Too many mmo's and other online games become toxic places for new players, or players who's play style is outside the game's "norm." Please don't make this a toxic place. We are all here to work together and make this game as great as possible!

Here end's Thomas' Monday rant.

• Like 5

NPC's should attack you on PvE server if you get to close to them and they have the ship to do it!

The only reason I play on the PvE server is only because I don't like the PvP crowd and all the bad behavior that comes with it..

PvE should also be a challenge with danger else it gets boring real fast!

• Like 1

I would guess that when proper diplomatic systems get introduced and countries are at war or not with each other through alliances and diplomacy the AI may be a little more aggressive.

At the moment it's all or nothing.

I think PVE should offer some sort of PVE challenge and not just neutral AI as it is now, maybe if you attack an AI of a nation you are flagged by that nation and they will hunt you or attack on site.

It used to be a bit too much, but surely it could be cranked up a little. Not to the extent that every journey becomes an absolute pain but to the extent that if you see an enemy ship of the same sort of size you need to at least contemplate giving them a wide berth if you don't want a fight at that particular time and place.

I do hope they can add a bit to the "war" feel of the game by making the AI do more. I could actually see an argument that the AI itself should conduct port battles, occasionally sailing big fleets to enemy ports in an attempt to flip control of the port. Players could simply join in (or not) on either side as in any other port battle.

The AI might even attack itself on the open sea, though I'm not sure how the developers would feel about using that kind CPU power on events that players may not directly witness.

Incidentally, aggressive NPCs do still exist. Last night someone in our group got attacked by a Navy Brig, which seemed to spawn in new Navy Brigs every 5 minutes or so. I think we ended up killing 5 of them, all from a single NPC attack on us.

I can see where that would get to be super annoying but arguably this is what PvE should be all about: not just cherry picking fights but also getting attacked by an aggressive (and hopefully competent) AI.

If I recall correctly, POTBS had this concept early on but turned it off because the AI usually was just wasting your time by attacking you with ships that had no chance of catching you anyway. It basically just made you waste 5 minutes of your life running away to inevitably click out of the battle.