Game-Labs Forum
Catfish Quinn

Are We Pirates, or Are We a Nation with a Black Flag?

I agree pirates need to be limited in some form if you want them to be unique, but we can't limit them without counter balancing with an advantageous gameplay mechanic.

Yes rats need to be changed, but they need some appeal to a different kind of gamestyle, not a straight up nerf.

Anyone who says ''Rats shouldn't have x'' without offering anything in exchange is quite hyprocritical

This is the road to nonsense, like pirate frigates that are better than every other equivalent ship.

Pirates can have unique gameplay.  They can also have hardcore gameplay that is more "survival" oriented than nationals, not balanced.  Devs once said this was the intention.

This is the road to nonsense, like pirate frigates that are better than every other ship.

Pirates can have unique gameplay.  They can also have hardcore gameplay that is more "survival" oriented than nationals, not balanced.  Devs once said this was the intention.

I'm not talking about some pirate [insert every ship], I'm talking about any different mechanic that makes it more interesting/piratey.

You can't expect people to agree with a straight up nerf with no advantages. Its a game, with players. They want to have fun.

Edited by Ian2492

Pirates should be pirates, not Nats. Right now you have some people who play pirates because It is another nation and theirs nothing piratey about being a pirate. Those who want to play SOL's and capture ports you should be playing as a Nat. Everyone that plays pirate expects them to have what Nats have and it shouldn't be that way. Once again, not pirates, just another Nation with nothing whatsoever that makes them different from Nats or the least bit piratey. They just have the a Pirate flag. smh

Edited by ACE
  • Like 1

I heard an interesting idea from the devs.  When diplomacy comes into play and nations become allies.  The idea was that nations can use pirates as a proxy to inflict war on their "allies". 

I think we need to wait for more mechanics to be fleshed out before judging if pirates should change or not, but I generally agree that Pirates need to be somewhat different and play a different role.

• Like 1

Apart from the SOLs that America was building?

The America she was given to the french upon completion. >.>

The Pennsylvania was built late did nothing, was antiquated 20 years after design and was burnt to prevent confederate capture, but she was built so there is that. 

I guess we did have the independence class which would fit the time period.

My American naval history is rusty, there's a reason i was a ground pounder. :P

Like it or not, Pirates are mechanically a faction just like every other in the game. The only difference is we have a cooler flag. The only reason people have their panties in a bunch over this is because

A ) They are RP nerds. These kinds of people should have ZERO say over how any gameplay decisions unless that game is the Jane Austen MMO.

B ) Like above, people are mad that the mean and nasty pirates can organize and take on 'Nations' fleets with impunity. Let me tell you geniuses something, if you took away the fundamental mechanics of being a faction in this game, no one would fucking play it. I'm sure half of you would enjoy that for whatever stupid reason but this is a game and not real life.

C )If you go down the road of limiting what Pirates can have ( short of what they capture ), then every other faction should receive a similar nerf.. And then you know what is going to happen? The entire game will be Spain vs France vs Britain. Doesn't sound very fun to me.

D ) wah wah mean pirates sunk my ship

Edited by James T Skoll
  • Like 2

Like it or not, Pirates are mechanically a faction just like every other in the game. The only difference is we have a cooler flag. The only reason people have their panties in a bunch over this is because

A ) They are RP nerds. These kinds of people should have ZERO say over how any gameplay decisions unless that game is the Jane Austen MMO.

B ) Like above, people are mad that the mean and nasty pirates can organize and take on 'Nations' fleets with impunity. Let me tell you geniuses something, if you took away the fundamental mechanics of being a faction in this game, no one would fucking play it. I'm sure half of you would enjoy that for whatever stupid reason but this is a game and not real life.

C )If you go down the road of limiting what Pirates can have ( short of what they capture ), then every other faction should receive a similar nerf.. And then you know what is going to happen? The entire game will be Spain vs France vs Britain. Doesn't sound very fun to me.

D ) wah wah mean pirates sunk my ship

This isn't Pirates of the Caribbean.  ;)

You say pirates are just a faction that are the exact same as nats with a different flag, that's the point we are trying to make. Pirates are not the least bit piratey.

Edited by ACE
  • Like 2

This isn't Pirates of the Caribbean.  ;)

You say pirates are just a faction that are the exact same as nats with a different flag, that's the point we are trying to make. Pirates are not the least bit piratey.

In a game like this which is centered around gaining and losing territory and perpetual PVP, you don't need to have a special class with limited access to ships whose only focus is the acquisition of money. There is no gameplay need for it. Pirates are literally just a nation with a black flag and for the purposes of this game, that's fine. There would have to be a major redesign shift for the entire game to make them anything more or anything less and still be a viable option to play as. 

If the Pirates are going to be just another nation, then change their flag and name. As the saying goes if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, guess what, it's a duck! Why not change them to Scotland and give them Panama, would certainly be more interesting alternative history than that of some silly Pirate empire. The differences are just too insignificant from a nation. I've said this before I'm not saying "Pirates OP! NERF PLX," I just want to see the pirates as something more interesting than just another nation. Make Pirates a scourge worth fearing, and not just another nation. let people have 1 national account and one Pirate account so they can experience both rich and interesting flavors of the game. If the Devs wanna persist with the Pirates are just another nation facade, then make it a Mediterranean map, where the Barbary corsairs were something akin to a nation.

• Like 3

What I think pirates should be:

EVE guildwar style gameplay. You do not capture "pirate ports". You capture guild ports, owned by your particular pirate group which you can whitelist or blacklist access from other pirate groups.

How I would play a pirate as currently implemented:

We are all friendly and on the same nation until you upset me enough and then I declare war on your guild. Standard FFA game rules for games like EVE and Age of Conan and so forth: don't make unnecessary enemies when you're going to have so many anyway.

If you play as a pirate that literally ganks everyone, including other pirates, the problem is you will soon have no allies, no trading partners and may end up with an unplayable game. I would only play a pirate who ganks everyone if I was in a very large, self-sustained pirate guild. I could see Goonswarm or similar doing this. Nothing wrong with it. The rules allow it. Just be ready for the consequences.

One thing I think a lot of players overlook is how small these communities really are, especially in a game like this where you likely operate within a given "locale". You WILL see the same players from day to day so you need to pick your fights wisely. This isn't GW2 or Counterstrike where you may not see the same player twice or if you do, it really doesn't matter. Pirates who play recklessly will end up deleting their character so they can get a new name, I would bet.

Edited by Slamz

I think you guys are still missing the point... even though yes, they are pirates and they can do whatever the hell they want, they can also join together as a BAND of Pirates that have the same view... i'm sure not ALL Pirates are fond of eachother. They are just Pirates, let them do whatever the hell they want.

• Like 1

If the Pirates are going to be just another nation, then change their flag and name. As the saying goes if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, guess what, it's a duck! Why not change them to Scotland and give them Panama, would certainly be more interesting alternative history than that of some silly Pirate empire. The differences are just too insignificant from a nation. I've said this before I'm not saying "Pirates OP! NERF PLX," I just want to see the pirates as something more interesting than just another nation. Make Pirates a scourge worth fearing, and not just another nation. let people have 1 national account and one Pirate account so they can experience both rich and interesting flavors of the game. If the Devs wanna persist with the Pirates are just another nation facade, then make it a Mediterranean map, where the Barbary corsairs were something akin to a nation.

lolno

They're not gonna reorganize a major faction in the game just because it fucks with your immersion a little bit. Get over yourself.

Just how new are you James I'm sorry but you seem to be misunderstanding a fundamental part of this game. This is why we needed to get this sorted out before EA.

Edited by Ellis

lol @ regdate shaming.

I'm sorry that you feel the need to talk down to someone because in your arrogance you think that only you know what is best. Guess what, if they had meant for Pirates to be anything BUT just another faction, then you'd think the design document would have them as different. I'm willing to bet that it doesn't.

lolno

They're not gonna reorganize a major faction in the game just because it fucks with your immersion a little bit. Get over yourself.

They already stated that pirates will be modified and that the current is just a placeholder. It's not about immersion or history, it's about the fact that pirates are meant to be different than other nations.

What you're asking is the same as if we'd have an Iraq War game and you'd say the insurgents should have all the hardware of the US forces for balance reasons.

Pirates are meant to be different, they are meant to fight differently, and they will end up being changed. If you want to play as a nation, there's 7 other identical factions you can play.

• Like 4

They already stated that pirates will be modified and that the current is just a placeholder. It's not about immersion or history, it's about the fact that pirates are meant to be different than other nations.

What you're asking is the same as if we'd have an Iraq War game and you'd say the insurgents should have all the hardware of the US forces for balance reasons.

Pirates are meant to be different, they are meant to fight differently, and they will end up being changed. If you want to play as a nation, there's 7 other identical factions you can play.

Show me your source please? Because this moderator post is suggesting a different direction:

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/6344-pirates/page-16#entry159946

Ok here's another way to look at it

Do the pirates have a capital that cannot be captured( I honestly forget lol)

If they do then they are just another nation. Despite what their defenders say.

• Like 1

Ok here's another way to look at it

Do the pirates have a capital that cannot be captured( I honestly forget lol)

If they do then they are just another nation. Despite what their defenders say.

Mortimer Town. It cannot be captured. We also own a couple regional capitols on EU PVP 1.

Show me your source please? Because this moderator post is suggesting a different direction:

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/6344-pirates/page-16#entry159946

Apparently I can't find it amonsgt the million nerf the pirate threads. Maybe they changed their minds since I saw it.

Moderator =! Admin, one polices the forums, the other is the voice of the dev.

I just think it's a shame that we could've had the chance to have an actual different nation with interesting mechanics and advantages/disadvantages but it seems a lot of you guys just want a copy/paste of the 7 other nations. Which begs the question, why didn't you pick one of the other 7 instead and let them make the pirate unique as it should be?

I mean, if I was a pirate I'd be begging for change. I actually considered turning over when they'd implement good mechanics. Now it's litterally a different coloured flag. nothing more.

Edited by Ian2492
  • Like 2

Apparently I can't find it amonsgt the million nerf the pirate threads. Maybe they changed their minds since I saw it.

Moderator =! Admin, one polices the forums, the other is the voice of the dev.

I just think it's a shame that we could've had the chance to have an actual different nation with interesting mechanics and advantages/disadvantages but it seems a lot of you guys just want a copy/paste of the 7 other nations. Which begs the question, why didn't you pick one of the other 7 instead and let them make the pirate unique as it should be?

I mean, if I was a pirate I'd be begging for change. I actually considered turning over when they'd implement good mechanics. Now it's litterally a different coloured flag. nothing more.

It's simple. The RP nerds fucking hate pirates. The fact that there can be an actual organized and effective Pirate nation grinds their gears to no end. That's literally reason enough for me. 

• Like 2

I switched to US Nation after wipe cause Pirates were just another nation. If they could raid and plunder and had interesting piratey mechanics instead of just a black Flag I'd prob go back.

• Like 1

It's simple. The RP nerds fucking hate pirates. The fact that there can be an actual organized and effective Pirate nation grinds their gears to no end. That's literally reason enough for me.

No, some of us actually hoped the devs would stick to what they said and have a unique group with a different set of challenges and possibly harder game play. Instead they caved to guys like you who want to feel special while doing nothing to earn it.

We get it, your afraid of the possible additional challenge a unique faction would offer. Does not mean the rest of us are.

• Like 3

I just think it's a shame that we could've had the chance to have an actual different nation with interesting mechanics and advantages/disadvantages but it seems a lot of you guys just want a copy/paste of the 7 other nations.

What's worse is it is not exactly a copy/paste. Pirates can attack each other in the OW so damage farming is readily available to them. Why do you think so many of them level up so fast?

Instead of hard mode we have simpleton mode.

Edited by GrapeShot
  • Like 1

Let me tell you geniuses something, if you took away the fundamental mechanics of being a faction in this game, no one would fucking play it.

Pirates were never supposed to BE a faction! Why doesn't anyone get this?

From the start of development, the universal opinion was that pirates should be the BAMFs playing high seas DayZ, while the softy nats would hide behind their king's skirts. Would I play the hell out of that game mode? You better fuckin' belive it. But you won't catch me within three cablelengths that carebear phaux black flag.

Edited by Henry d'Esterre Darby
Personal attack removed.
  • Like 5