Game-Labs Forum

Obersturmbahnfuhrer

Quarios

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/2346-forum-and-sea-trials-rules/#entry146607

Post no. 3. Whether it is a prohibited name is to be judged by devs. Using nazi ranks might constitute a criminal offence in several European countries, with also a possibility of a dev being subject to criminal proceedings for not reacting to such a name. However I don't know devs' jurisdiction and in the end the decision is up to them, i only offered my opinion based on my personal views...

• Like 3

do

Why? Is there a specific rule that means he should be banned? That is way too extreme of a punishment

i do not agree. i think a ban would b in order. nazi ranks  , should not b used. as stated above in some european countries (mine for example) it can b a criminla offence.

Edited by BoomBox

do

i do not agree. i think a ban would b in order. nazi ranks , should not b used. as stated above in some european countries (mine for example) it can b a criminla offence.

That would be overkill. Force a name change at most, but the idea that suddenly it should result in a ban because some countries have silly inane laws is a bit crazy.

• Like 1

i do not agree. i think a ban would b in order. nazi ranks  , should not b used. as stated above in some european countries (mine for example) it can b a criminla offence.

I would rather see man banned for such slaughter of English language...

I would rather see man banned for such slaughter of English language...

never said i was a native english speaker ;)

look man you stated your opinion and i have stated mine.

just for the record , i don't find those laws to be silly and insane.

Don't overdo it. 

This is already more offensive than the name of that guy.

I find it hard to believe this is honest. It feels more like cheap thrill fishing.

This is not 'cheap thrill fishing'. Some of us are old enough to have had close family members murdered by the Nazis. IMO the subject is still too raw to be given any leniency. In another game I play such offenders have a permanent name change to 'Cupcake'.

i only offered my opinion based on my personal views...

This is precisely why the player shouldn't be banned. Regardless of his name, that sets a very dangerous precedence. Offer the person a free name change but don't knee jerk react about the sky is falling and the banhammer has to come out.

never said i was a native english speaker ;)

look man you stated your opinion and i have stated mine.

just for the record , i don't find those laws to be silly and insane.

Any law limiting speech is silly, but if you disagree its good you live in a country with those laws already.

Like most games, he should be forced to change his name. If he refuses, then additional penalties.

This is precisely why the player shouldn't be banned. Regardless of his name, that sets a very dangerous precedence. Offer the person a free name change but don't knee jerk react about the sky is falling and the banhammer has to come out.

You and Gaspar are right. A name change would be the best way to go .

Any law limiting speech is silly, but if you disagree its good you live in a country with those laws already.

Like most games, he should be forced to change his name. If he refuses, then additional penalties.

Dismissing these as silly overly simplifies the issue. These laws were enacted as a response to horrors of World War that were suffered by population of most European countries. Seeing the whole coming to power of Nazi party using unlimited free speech, setting themselves as far apart from the disgusting regimes that may have taken hold in those countries during the war and honoring the victims of war. These laws were found to be not breaching human rights and right to the free speech by a multitude of European courts. 

Discussion, whether they still have place in legal systems of European countries is slowly taking place, but such discussion is to be left to the citizen of said countries. Dismissing them as silly without the realization of further context of their adoption is ignorant at least.

And yep, Fluffybunny is the way to go here....

Edited by marecek05
  • Like 1

now dont let us get into this. lets stick to topic. ppl from different countries have different views. i'm from germany and yes we have that law  and yes it's justified in my eyes.  but the guy paid for the game and so he just should change the name and good.

Edited by BoomBox

I fully realize WHY the laws were instituted, don't mistake my dismissal of them as ignorance. The reasoning still doesn't justify the limiting of free speech by a government. If the people of that country agree that they want to limit free speech, then fine, more power to them. It is their country, they can do as they like.

• Like 1

Not saying such names should be tolerated, however i need to point out that if the OP pasted the nickname correctly that might be a (misguided) attempt at wordplay rather than a straight nazi immitation. The nazi rank is Obersturmbannfuehrer, wheras the guys nickname seems to be Obersturmbahnfuhrer, therefore transforming the original meaning of "Supreme shockgroup leader" to a probably ironic  "Supreme shock train driver". Again, i am not finding this particular attempt at irony particulary successfull, nor am i sure the irony was intended, but it's worth to keep that in consideration when making a decision.

• Like 1

i vote for the Highest punishment available please, these are the people where whe need to get rid of in here. Very unthoughtful, childish and in certain country's you wil get fined for this.

Obersturmbahnfuhrer is a SS rank, and the SS under the rule of Heinrich Himmler where the scumbags of the nazi empire.

Edited by Jacob van Heemskerck
  • Like 1

i vote for the Highest punishment available please, these are the people where whe need to get rid of in here. Very unthoughtful, childish and in certain country's you wil get fined for this.

Obersturmbahnfuhrer is a SS rank, and the SS under the rule of Heinrich Himmler where the scumbags of the nazi empire.

If this comes to be, can we also ban the communist references? They trigger me.

• Like 2

There is political correctness, and then there is political masturbation.

Let's keep the level head here. Unless you want to ban me for use of word "masturbation".

So watch your words, sir. You might not be glad to touch on this topic if you don't.

this sounds like a threat good sir. he is right. the name is offending and someone who uses that as a nick is retarded. and if u are really having a big history buff (not saying that u dont have that) u should know that this name can be offending to some people.

Sorry, he isn't right. The name may be offensive, and if the admins decide it is too offensive then they should make him change it. However advocating a ban over it is too much.

Understand what that means here. You're saying that a player name has offended you. Something that is subjective (personally doesn't offend me at all) and that because of your offense, the player should be banned from playing a game he or she payed money for.

Thank you for the report. I'll bring this to Admin's attention and he may decide what to do.

There are way too many hidden posts in this thread.  Captains in this thread are advised to re-read the forum rules and are reminded that respect will be shown to all other Captains at all times. You can disagree without making personal attacks and breaking the forum rules.

• Like 1