Game-Labs Forum

Question: is game speed variable?

Fencible

Hello,

Question for Ultimate General: Gettysburg:

Is there an option to choose various game speeds (slower - faster, etc)? With very large engagements I like to choose slower movement so that I can keep up with events more easily.

If troop movements are to scale with real life (that is real-life speeds), I prefer that, rather than to have accelerated speeds set to accommodate shorter game times.

Thanks,

Fencible 

• Like 3

currently there is only one speed.

we have received a lot of requests from players that speed should be slower.. we will experiment next week internally.

I would like to have the option to slow the game down. A 50 percent speed reduction option would be great for some of us older folks. I do not think that Ultimate General: Gettysburg has any vested interest in the game being a click fest and allowing a player to slow down the action would be very desirable in my view. Thanks.

• Like 3

When I first started playing this game I thought it was to fast as well after putting about 5 hours into the game the speed is okay.  Now after 20 hours they could speed it up and it would be fine with me.  I really only use pause at the very begining of deployment to issue my initial orders.  Give it a little time gamers Darth is right on the money with this.

I would like to have the option to slow the game down. A 50 percent speed reduction option would be great for some of us older folks. I do not think that Ultimate General: Gettysburg has any vested interest in the game being a click fest and allowing a player to slow down the action would be very desirable in my view. Thanks.

Absolutely.  I would welcome the option to slow the game down by 50%.  It gives us older folks the chance to equally enjoy all the little vignettes that are going on.

• Like 2

In my opinion this game, whilst novel and stylistic, is definitely too fast.

I have played numerous wargames for many years, so whilst I do not find the frantic pace difficult to handle, I do find it very arcady and detracts from any semblance of realism.  If the Developer does not provide an option to slow this down then I think it's appeal will be very short lived and limited.

The game should offer a realtime option with the ability to speed up for those that prefer a click fest.  The appeal of this game would then be massively increased; this could be an important commercial decision for the developer.

• Like 3

I also heartily support the the idea of a variable speed slider. Right now the gameplay is simply too frenetic IMHO.

I think that Sid Meier's Gettysburg is the one you want to emulate - Not Starcraft. 

The game speed as it is is nothing at all like starcraft, nor is the feel of the game in any way.

I mean maybe it's because I played and still play Broodwar but I disagree with the sentiment that this game is anything like a clickfest, units you arent looking at won't just die, they will fallback on their own, realign to the targets. 

I agree with the above person who said the speed is fine, its fast enough that you feel pressured, like there is some urgency in your actions, but not so fast that failure to pay attention to a flank for 20 seconds will see you crushed immediately.

EDIT: Also, Real Time? I'm not convinced taking 5 hours to play a scenario will increase the games appeal, and i cant think of many people who would enjoy making an action every couple of minutes and then watch people reload for 30 seconds. After a certain point gameplay>realism

The game should definitely have speed options. I think Sid Meier's Gettysburg had it.

!00% agree. Not just a 50% option, but a slider from 'true real time' up to maybe 2x faster than it is now.

If you add true real time plus orders delay, you will be on the verge of producing the best Civil war simulation I've seen, IMHO. I have all of them on my hard drive...

Agreed it needs some slowing down, especially if it ever rolls out MP.

Totally agree. Anyway actual gamespeed could be fine if you would be able to give ai the command of your divisions (and considering how good is the ai it's definitely a feature I'm longing for) :)

!00% agree. Not just a 50% option, but a slider from 'true real time' up to maybe 2x faster than it is now.

If you add true real time plus orders delay, you will be on the verge of producing the best Civil war simulation I've seen, IMHO. I have all of them on my hard drive...

Totally agree.

speedslider, yes, please.

Orders delay a definate NO! NO! NO!

Its a game, it needs to be fun. 

• 7 years later...