Game-Labs Forum

Variable Weather and it's resulting effects on the Sea

Had a quick search for weather suggestions, came up blank (assume there are some though)...

Thoroughly enjoying the game. I really like sim games and realism in my games, I'm especially fond of the Arma series, so map reading and navigation was a skill that could really turn the tide of a battle.

I've a couple of suggestions for adding realism to the Open World.

I would like to see areas of the Open World that have very different weather, including wave height, wind strength and tidal influences, some of these effects should be so strong as to actually damage, wreck or throw your ship off course. I also think shallows should be dangerous. wrecks should be seen on coasts or driftwood floating in the seas.

Variable Winds would be really interesting in Battles, cutting winds entirely or making the area so dangerous for your Vessel than retreating would be more sensible than fighting. Masts and sails could be damaged unless you tacked? back on your sails.

Tidal Influences would make for tougher time navigating, especially over larger differences. River mouths could influence the flow of water near their outlet.

Shallows could damage your ship and you could be able to run aground. It might take some time to pull your ship back from shallows and initiate a  repair.

I think the addition of options likes these would make the Open World more realistic. I think it might lend some weight to navigation, make it more enjoyable to master and to make it feel like navigating an Ocean opposed to moving a ship icon around a map.

Crosbie

The current weather settings are graphically awesome, but i feel it is too dark of a weather setting for a caribic area. Rain is not that common in real live as it is ingame now;)

Also when it is raining, it is raining for a large quantity of players all over the map. I feel rain should be locally and special.  

The fog/ mist at morning is cool dont get me wrong, but it does not suit the caribic setting. Less frequent would be really awesome. Also i feel fog should be locally and moving around.

Variable Winds would be really interesting in Battles, cutting winds entirely or making the area so dangerous for your Vessel than retreating would be more sensible than fighting. Masts and sails could be damaged unless you tacked? back on your sails.

Tidal Influences would make for tougher time navigating, especially over larger differences. River mouths could influence the flow of water near their outlet.

Shallows could damage your ship and you could be able to run aground. It might take some time to pull your ship back from shallows and initiate a  repair.

I completely agree to all three points. They would make sailing in the Open World a more immersive and realistic experience.

I also think that bad weather should have a bigger impact on instanced battles:

1. There should be the risk of getting damage on sails/masts/riggings when sailing with full sails in strong wind. That would make chases more unpredictable and fun.

2.  Bigger ships should need to keep lower deck gun ports closed when sailing in rough sea conditions, at least on the downwind side, to avoid taking on water.