Game-Labs Forum

Trade Missions

I wouldn't have thought it was hard to add trade missions to the system...  where we have combat missions that are randomly generated..  couldn't we have trade missions that are randomly generated  such as carry x amount of goods from a to b and get some exp..  range based on rank..  not actual goods that could be used by the players, but sail from x to y in a trader brig and get 3000 gold and 100 XP at 1st Lt for example ?

Perhaps it could be the start of the trading line for people, as they could then add some goods of their own for the same route?  

Maybe these would only be between Free Towns and replicate the idea of people using the delivery system.

Just a thought 

• Like 3

All missions and all progression require risk.

Trade missions that guarantee profit should not exist, unless there is risk of attack involved. Missions to certain free towns provide that, but I would rather see scripted NPC interceptions and dedicate smuggle gameplay.

All missions and all progression require risk.

Trade missions that guarantee profit should not exist, unless there is risk of attack involved. Missions to certain free towns provide that, but I would rather see scripted NPC interceptions and dedicate smuggle gameplay.

To some extent I agree, but frankly at 1st Lt,  theres pretty much no risk of loosing a mission if you are in an appropriate ship, (personally haven't lost a mission since day 1 even without additional fleet members)  especially if you take one a rank lower..  its more time and the cost of repair.   The cost of repair is taken from the gold you get from the ship rather than the mission.. so they are basically a time sink..  as would be travelling on a trade route..  and there's always a chance to intercept a lone trader in OW.. so frankly I don't see much difference.  

20 minutes to do a mission at no risk for 1000 exp and 3000 gold, + the exp and gold from the ship (and possible drop)  or 1000exp and 3000 gold from running a 20 minute trade run.

A 1st Lt mission will be against either a snow, brig, navy brig, 2 pickles level..  Anyone in a Snow or a Brig "should" be able to waltz any of those.   A Lt Cmdr level brings in ships like a Renomee, again.. not an issue against a well played snow..  so I fail to see the risk involved in current missions.

Maybe trade runs can only be your rank to avoid the one above rank risks of combat ones.

Lets face it..  missions are not really a risk, they are just free gold and exp for a bit of time and if trade missions were known routes, then theres more likelihood of people waiting to pounce, so I would think the risk on trade missions would actually be higher :)

Edited by MaliceA4Thought
  • Like 1

To some extent I agree, but frankly at 1st Lt,  theres pretty much no risk of loosing a mission if you are in an appropriate ship, (personally haven't lost a mission since day 1 even without additional fleet members)  especially if you take one a rank lower..  its more time and the cost of repair.   The cost of repair is taken from the gold you get from the ship rather than the mission.. so they are basically a time sink..  as would be travelling on a trade route..  and there's always a chance to intercept a lone trader in OW.. so frankly I don't see much difference.  

20 minutes to do a mission at no risk for 1000 exp and 3000 gold, + the exp and gold from the ship (and possible drop)  or 1000exp and 3000 gold from running a 20 minute trade run.

A 1st Lt mission will be against either a snow, brig, navy brig, 2 pickles level..  Anyone in a Snow or a Brig "should" be able to waltz any of those.   A Lt Cmdr level brings in ships like a Renomee, again.. not an issue against a well played snow..  so I fail to see the risk involved in current missions.

Maybe trade runs can only be your rank to avoid the one above rank risks of combat ones.

Lets face it..  missions are not really a risk, they are just free gold and exp for a bit of time.

True, true.

But the missions are terrible. No reason to double down on the terribleness.

And also, you can be attacked on open sea by npcs & other players so traders missions do involve risk. I'm all for missions involving trading and exploring.

I've crafted dozens of ships since OW was released and no one has ever even tried to attack my trader's cutter.

Outside the hotspots, the risk is negligible. Players could travel to the coast of Mexico and level up in perfect safety.

Now, if NPCs could be made to actively chase players with active trade missions, that would be a different story.

I've crafted dozens of ships since OW was released and no one has ever even tried to attack my trader's cutter.

Outside the hotspots, the risk is negligible. Players could travel to the coast of Mexico and level up in perfect safety.

Now, if NPCs could be made to actively chase players with active trade missions, that would be a different story.

I've had NPC aggro in the last several days while trading, I even had it coming from a fellow British Traders Cutter (with contraband) - I did laugh it off since he had no guns but the Spanish Constitution that chased me wiped the smile off my face pretty quick when it threatened my load of Compass Wood...

+1 For combat missions, make them from mission port to a port that's 2 ports or 15 mins or so away. This gives reason for people to actually go between ports more and you can have fun with it.

Edited by JJWolf

XP should be fairly low, maybe 1/4 of what you get from Combat Missions. But Gold should be higher in reward. Say you get 2k for Combat Missions, you should get 4k for Trade Missions. You can also increase the reward with distance traveled, which should also increase the likelihood of combat or attack.

Edited by Arnaud Arpes
  • Like 2