Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Nerdwing

Regarding Port Battle Mechanics: Decreasing Arena Size Merited?

Hey all :)

Apparently (and unbeknownst to quite possibly a few!), the criteria for winning a port battle is to not only defeat all the towers (5 in a deep-water battle), but to achieve a very substantial BR advantage by the time the clock runs down.

The potential issue here is the "run" part :P  Both Pirates and others now have used the clock to their advantage now, and forgive me if its already been brought up, but implementation of a system where the battle-field size shrinks at set intervals to prevent the drawing out of the battle for the full hour and a half would help result in more decisive battles, and fix this apparent oversight in mechanics.

I'm very new myself still, having clocked a bit over a week, but I was told that small battles either employ or have employed a system where the arena size tightens (like a noose, humorously enough) to promote a direct confrontation.  Would this kind of system be of use in port battles in promoting direct fighting, rather than running out the clock?

• Like 5

When we fought the British and were outgunned in a port battle we used the same tactic of running the clock out and I know it frustrated some of them. After tonight and being on the other end, I can only agree with their complaints about the mechanic. There are probably a lot of good ideas out there about solving this issue or waiting for the developers to add in land/tower upgrades/ etc. I'm a firm believer in keeping it simple though, and the best, easiest, and simple way that I can see fixing port battles quickly would be the idea of the borders shrinking over time.

I would love to see the admins ideas on this because I think it would be a poor idea to wait on fixing this mechanic before port battles start becoming important.

• Like 4

Not looking forward to 25 Santi vs 25 Santi PB's where we twiddle our thumbs for 90 minutes and the defenders basically always win. Either the basic mechanic itself needs to change, or a shrinking arena to encourage a fight.

Shrinking circle is the hammer approach to solving the problem. Could work as an interim solution, but making PBs take place in a natural setting and proceed by logical steps would be better. For example, if defenses are down, attackers can win by landing troops in the port. If defenders want to sail away, then they are retreating and forfeiting the battle.

• Like 1

Something needs to be done, I dunno what. Change the BR ratio needed, shrink the arena, whatever. I don't know about the Brit players, but that port battle wasn't fun at all for me. I went to that battle expecting a cool clashing of fleets, instead I got to spend most of it trying to chase an enemy who seemed more interested in running the clock down than shooting back.

That tactic is lame no matter who is using it. If you have to run away and try to win via a clock timer and attackers needing an overly high BR ratio, that means you've already lost that port battle. If Pirates ever call for that tactic in a port battle I'm in I'll thrust my ship right into the enemy fleet instead.  I go to port battles to fight ships, not play keep away.

Edited by Galaga Galaxian
  • Like 1