Game-Labs Forum

Important information about the new EU server.

I don't know, but if Devs make this movement is for a good reason, I am pretty sure. We only can guessing. In a time the the playerbase will settle and a new server distribution will be needed and the most important data, Rank and XP will be safe.

But I want to transfer my account from PVP 2 (US) to PVP 1 EU (Mirror) !

My PVP 1 char is ok and I want to hold him their, then I started in PVP 2 (US) :/ because of the long waiting login ...

(Ping horrible ...)

now I have a lot of money in the US-Server I don´t need ... and never would play this server again because of the second EU-Server!

(sry for my bad english)

I feel like this is a bit silly to do and is just going to divide the community more, I mean, why didn't we try the anti-afk timer first? I haven't seen a queue longer than 400 people and I feel like with a timer it would nearly get rid of all the queue time. This kind of thing always splits up and kills communities in MMO's and I'm tired of seeing it.

• Like 1

Those of you with established clans will need to think about your teamspeak server. (if you are sharing a resource) No good sharing one teamspeak channel for people geographically  playing on two separate servers.

Wouldn't you just make a new channel?

Just wondering where are the other servers.  I get like 180 ping on PvP one so I assume it's over in EU.   Now PvP two and PvE One I get like 50-80 ping.  Which is odd cause I was figuring with the start all servers would be in the same location.  This is the start pick server screen list.  I haven't checked the actual in game ping.    If PvP two was in the US (where I'm located) wouldn't it just be better to get the US folks to transfer to it.  The reason PvP one is so pack is cause folks want to have 24/7 interaction.  I log on at different times so some times of day and nights.

Oh and being a few ranks up starting with just a Basic Cutter kinda sucks.  There should at least be a chance when you have long server down time we can get a better basic type ship that is more rank appropriate while we play and wait for our main server to come back up.

Edited by Sir Texas SIr

I feel like this is a bit silly to do and is just going to divide the community more, I mean, why didn't we try the anti-afk timer first? I haven't seen a queue longer than 400 people and I feel like with a timer it would nearly get rid of all the queue time. This kind of thing always splits up and kills communities in MMO's and I'm tired of seeing it.

You have a fine point about AFKs.  I know the Dev team is currently working hard on that feature.  Is it 300-400 people?  I don't know, possibly.

so I can switch from pvp2 and keep EVERYTHING to pvp1 ?

No.  There is a HUGE difference between taking a backup of the game database, and restoring it to a new, fresh machine and what you're asking.  Trying to "merge" database records while remapping keys, having assets "locked away" in ports you don't even own on that server, etc. is a giant mess that is best avoided.  In my career, I have merged databases a few times, and short of playing massive games with key values and whatnot, it's often far more trouble than it's worth.

• Like 1

You have a fine point about AFKs.  I know the Dev team is currently working hard on that feature.  Is it 300-400 people?  I don't know, possibly.

No.  There is a HUGE difference between taking a backup of the game database, and restoring it to a new, fresh machine and what you're asking.  Trying to "merge" database records while remapping keys, having assets "locked away" in ports you don't even own on that server, etc. is a giant mess that is best avoided.  In my career, I have merged databases a few times, and short of playing massive games with key values and whatnot, it's often far more trouble than it's worth.

Okay im only asking because its not clear...thanks for explaining cause I dont know about server stuff so its rather frustrating

I think a bigger warning is needed in game, not all people read the forums.

We are not people we are testers so we incur a certain responsibility to be plugged into the process of development. If you chose not to then it is at your own detriment. One the game is fully released yes the developers have that responsibility as well as many more.

I am not happy whit this.

Because I like it open (like at Eve) when u can have contact to Players from Australia or Brazil or wherever around the world. It was like a family. But now we have to decide where we are goin to. Many contacts will be broken - the community will not be the same as it was.

More slots on the server..., please. :(

COST is big factor this game is in early access and is a small developer house currently. Nothing about how the servers work should be taken as a indicator as to how the final product will work. Their smart guys im sure they know this current server setup isn't good but its working for now.

Eve handles it by actually using lots of different servers. But they make it look just like one server, which isn't true. They use a single database though. 

When you jump through to another system, that loading screen is you connecting to another server. 

yea and I dont know about you but im not exactly excited about session changes taking place even with cool graphical effects in between when sailing about the open world. Im sure their are options out there the devs will look into that serve NA's needs

This will scatter the population and ruin the game once the initial launch hype has calmed down. Did you think ahead once you made this decision or was it based on the people crying about just a 15 minute queue to stop getting bad reviews on steam today?

I'll change my review to bad if this results in a too scattered population and I hope the rest will follow.

Dude take a breath .... I agree the current server issue sucks but as I have said relax give time its early in the ball game and everyone is worried cuz we arent playing a finished final product. Its peoples attitudes about early access games like this is why more and more company's arent willing to release product early. 

Hello Captains

We are deploying the new server today that will be based in Europe. 

To simplify things for the players on the PvP One we will copy all the data from PvP One to a new server once. Rank, Gold, Ships and assets counted at 12am 26th Jan will be copied.

What this means:

If you don't like the queues on PvP one you can just relog to the new EU server and have all the assets you had on the 26th Jan. 

What it does not mean

It will only be mirrored once. So if you continue playing on another server only rank will be synchronized as usual. If you acquire a lot of new assets after 26th they will only be present on that server. 

Temporary name for the server:

PvP 3 EU Mirror

Names for servers will be changed next week. 

Sorry for all the confusion it might cause.

Greetings, 

I am loving this game and fully accept that it is still in development and some changes and tough decisions will have to be made.  But, as a leader of a gaming community that is trying to play this game in coordination with other communities, we would greatly appreciate notice of major changes like listed above.  I want to be as constructive as possible, but it seems obvious that this was not well thought out, and based on extended downtime not well implemented either.  Perhaps since this seems to be going poorly, you should consider leaving things as they were, give the community a few days to process this information and make plans.  Then try to implement the one time copy and move option later this week.   

Thanks for your consideration, 

Jern

www.sturmgrenadier.org

Edited by Jern
  • Like 1

Could be exploited easily.

For example, on one server a passage/port is blocked by enemy vessels... Okay, fine, then I just switch to the other server and sail through them without them being able to do anything about it.

The server hopping is easily fixed with a timeout, if the game needs 2+ servers is because there is enough people in both servers to block the port, it would come to just who is more organized as it will be if it stays just 1 server.

First.. Id like to thanks devs for fast response in long times queue server one. Well i believe nobody wants to wait for 30 min to start playing, in other hand everybody, or almost,wants to see lots of stuff happening, lots of operántions and battles everywhere. Somebody said before that may be, this long waiting is just because the inicial hype, and another server could kill both after a while.is there a chance of this happen?

For me its been a hard decision but no só hard as the clans guys,because im not tied to no one yet and now i must see wich clan is going where and just than try to join a group. But the true is, i want lots of people in the servers.

Greetings, 

I am loving this game and fully accept that it is still in development and some changes and tough decisions will have to be made.  But, as a leader of a gaming community that is trying to play this game in coordination with other communities, we would greatly appreciate notice of major changes like listed above.  I want to be as constructive as possible, but it seems obvious that this was not well thought out, and based on extended downtime not well implemented either.  Perhaps since this seems to be going poorly, you should consider leaving things as they were, give the community a few days to process this information and make plans.  Then try to implement the one time copy and move option later this week.   

Thanks for your consideration, 

Jern

www.sturmgrenadier.com

I'm not sure if you've ever developed software or handled large databases (if you have, my apologies).  This is not going poorly at all.  Backing up an entire database and restoring it to a new machine, then getting it reconfigured and set up to the point that you can log a few developers in and test it prior to reopening the source database takes a little bit of time.  Planning and discussions to take this action have been going on internally for a longer time than you think.  Please refrain from commenting on how well or poorly things are going when you are not privy to the Developers' conversations and procedures.   :)

With that out of the way, the question remains, "how can Game Labs encourage at least part of the population of PvP1, which is overcrowded, to move to PvP3"?  We have had a week of complaining about ping times to PvP2, massive complaints about waiting in Queue, and massive complaints about not being able to take all assets to a new server.  There exists no tool that allows the Devs to press a button and have assets transfer.  Heck, at the moment, there exists no tool to allow the Devs to rename someone or change their nationality.  Tools like that will come when the feature list is far smaller and the game mechanics stabilize.  So, given that the community just can't fathom the idea of starting on a new server with just their rank, given the community can't stand waiting in line to play the game, and given the community just can't tolerate the ping times to PvP2, what is the best answer?  I'd say restoring a backup of PvP1 to a new EU based server is the best response to the community's complaints.  

The fairest way to mirror the assets is to do so unannounced - otherwise you then get a rage thread where people yell about how they didn't know this was going to happen, and it isn't fair that others knew and were able to grind up their assets (or relocate them to strategic places to start an immediate offensive, etc).  This means that PvP1 is now status-quo on PvP3.  Those that decide to move servers will be in the exact same spot they were in, good or bad, and those that stay on PvP1 are in the same boat so to speak.  I appreciate that players do not want to split the community, but the fact remains that PvP1 is overpopulated, and actions must be taken to ensure a portion of that population wants to go to 3.  PvP2 is consistently low population, there is zero incentive for the Devs to encourage anyone to leave PvP2.  The fact still remains that gold is easy, XP is hard.  

• Like 5

I am not happy whit this.

Because I like it open (like at Eve) when u can have contact to Players from Australia or Brazil or wherever around the world. It was like a family. But now we have to decide where we are goin to. Many contacts will be broken - the community will not be the same as it was.

More slots on the server..., please. :(

EvE handles this by jump gates and jump gate queues. You are on one megashard but form the server perspective you are in Amarr server, or Jita server. When you jump through the gate you load into another subserver. 

I don't know yet how to implement jump gates in the open sea.

• Like 1

so did i got it right?

pvp1 data will change to a new server called pvp3?

It won't "change", it will simply be the same.  So you have the choice once the servers come up of continuing to play on PvP1 with your current PvP1 assets, and/or playing on PvP3 with your current PvP1 assets.  Those will be two different servers from now on, but they'll both have the gold, XP, crafting XP, ships, etc. that you have on PvP1 today, however, any changes you make by playing on those servers (except for Combat XP/Rank) will forever be separate, just like PvP1 and PvP2 today.

The server hopping is easily fixed with a timeout, if the game needs 2+ servers is because there is enough people in both servers to block the port, it would come to just who is more organized as it will be if it stays just 1 server.

Clans will stick to one server... so no, it's will not at all be common that the same port is blocked in both servers. Even with a timeout server hopping is possible, and in my opinion immersion breaking.

I would rather have the world devided in 4 parts and spread on 4 servers, with a short loading screen when entering another part (entering would be possible across the whole "edge" of the world-part). Would bring the whole community back on the same world without demanding too much of the servers. However it would be annoying if you hop back and forth from one server to the other for some reason, since you would then have many loading screens. Maybe this could be reduced by having the sectors overlap, means the overlapping area can be played on multiple server... However that would mean that two players can be in the same spot without seeing each other because they are on different servers...

Would look like this

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjsjan9jyruwzf3/server.jpg?dl=0

Edited by mirror452

Clans will stick to one server... so no, it's will not at all be common that the same port is blocked in both servers. Even with a timeout server hopping is possible, and in my opinion immersion breaking.

I would rather have the world devided in 4 parts and spread on 4 servers, with a short loading screen when entering another part (entering would be possible across the whole "edge" of the world-part). Would bring the whole community back on the same world without demanding too much of the servers. However it would be annoying if you hop back and forth from one server to the other for some reason, since you would then have many loading screens. Maybe this could be reduced by having the sectors overlap, means the overlapping area can be played on multiple server... However that would mean that two players can be in the same spot without seeing each other because they are on different servers...

Would look like this

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjsjan9jyruwzf3/server.jpg?dl=0

And that's the problem you run into, especially if you're beating up wind (tacking) and happen to be near a boundary.  It's critical that players in the same area always see each other.

I'm a US player but all my stuff was sent to the EU server rather than the PVP US Server, does that mean I now have to play on the EU server because all my stuff is on there? 

PvP1 is, and was always, an EU based server.  PvP2 is the only US based PvP server.

EvE handles this by jump gates and jump gate queues. You are on one megashard but form the server perspective you are in Amarr server, or Jita server. When you jump through the gate you load into another subserver. 

I don't know yet how to implement jump gates in the open sea.

Do you guys have a long term plan to allow the community to exist on one megashard or was it always the plan to cap server pops at around 2000 people and have multiple servers? As I had been hoping, given the massive map size that the PvP community would be allowed to concentrate on one server.

Would it be possible to establish independent instances per open sea regional zone(i.e. Lower Antilles, Upper Antilles, New Spain, etc.) therefore replicating the jumpgate mechanic on the OS? It would be inconvenient for players to have to zone into new regions, but the inconvenience would be manageable if the loading times were as efficient as it currently is to zone into a battle or port instance.

Please keep up the good work!

• Like 1