Game-Labs Forum

Accidental Pirate... Please Help.

Cakezsensei

Rolling with a Spanish fleet to take a port, there was a mass of Spanish ships posted right outside of it ready to initiate taking the port. Accidentally clicked on one of the ships while attempting to maneouver through the UI to continue chatting with the Flag ship to coordinate the attack, I pressed enter twice trying to start the chat line to type to the Fleet leader only to automatically be prompted that I am entering battle in 20 seconds -_- ... I do not know if you can stop an attack on someone after the timer has been initiated(Because I sure as hell do not) but the fact that the "Enter" key does anything for the battle UI is rather lame. So I am now a "Pirate" with no intent what so ever to actually even be close to wanting to be one because of some dumb interaction with the Attacking/Combat UI and the "Enter" key. So if there is any way that I can be helped because of this please, help.

Once the timer is running, if you don't want to battle them, keep pressing Attack to reset the timer as you sail away from them.  Eventually they'll be well outside the circle and you can safely let the timer expire.  I don't know if it will prevent a pirate flag, but that is the way to avoid entering a battle you've initiated.

• Like 1

Good to know for future reference. But is there no way I can get helped here in any way to maybe revert what has just happened or am I stuck and screwed having to be a Pirate or something? Cause honestly I would rather not be a Pirate... not anything I ever intented for the account -.-   ...

Sympathy dude.

Too bad that people can become pirates without damaging or sinking friendlies. Perhaps someday will will make some allowances for the first time that a player unintentionally clicks on a button.

The mechanics seem to have less to do with piracy and more to do with a mistaken click of the mouse.

If it helps consider that some people might use the Attack button to grief friendlies by dragging them into an instance. Not sure how much griefing would occur if we made allowance for players to click on a attack by mistake once. Perhaps the second time that someone clicks a button they should be punished. Don't know if it would possible to program that into the game or not, perhaps we can look forward to it.

We are not talking about shooting at friendlies. Just clicking harmlessly. Hopefully you can remove your character and start again, get your gold and experience back fairly quick.

There's no way to get reverted or something?? Because it was completely accidental and a bad interaction between the UI and the enter key :/... I wouldn't like to restart all over honestly, rather tidious proccess and I work often so going back to zero would really reeeaaaalllly suck :( Hopefully A GM/Dev or someone could give some clarification. Kind of something really lame :/

nothing ridiculous

first you had to tag a friendly ship, THEN you had to look at a huge window come up confirming that you want to proceed and become a pirate:

dac5985900.jpg

Having accidentally selected a friendly Fleet ship in a small area when there was like 35+ ships on the screen and then pressing ENTER ONCE to try and prompt the chat to type to the leader of the fleet and instead being INSTANTLY thrown into the countdown, I'd say it's pretty lame. I did not get message pop-up and instead was thrown right into the countdown and there was then nothing I could do... So yea, that's pretty lame. And again, the fact the the 'Enter' key interacts with that menu and or those buttons at all, is also pretty lame.

So is there anyway at all to not be considered a Pirate anymore... ???

You did this on purpose, possibly out of curiosity, but now you dont like the consequences. There is no way to mistakenly attack your own nation, you have to click confirm on the popup, the enter key does not select it.

Edited by Hexcaliber

I do have a question.  If he becomes a pirate on one server will he if he logged into one of the others all so now be a pirate?   I'm bored while PvP One is down and was wondering this.  Also wonder if could delete my other player and make a different nation one there than I have.  Since I'm on PvE One right now killing time.  Might as well grind up some of that Rank XP while the other serve is down.

I've done the same thing; came here looking for a solution. I had selected my friend to add him to a group and then started typing in chat. It selected both attack and confirm while I was typing and we couldn't sail out of the range fast enough. I am now tagged as a pirate. There is no way I want to have to start again, we didn't even exchange any fire in the battle. We both just sailed away and let the timer run out to leave. 

Captain Cakezsensei, ask your fellow Spanish captains to help you on the start, unfortunately there is no way to convert a character at the moment

Well there needs to be work done to sort this out immediately. The pirate faction already apparent has the highest population. Plus I do not want to have to restart seven days worth of grind because the game decided to make me attack a friend because I started typing. 

Edited by RKB53

its NOT ridiculous.. The chat / attack stuff happens all the time to me... I have narrowly avoided this a couple of times. Also I don't see why you cant cancel an attack before it starts, by pressing escape or something.

The "are you sure you want to attack" should default to CANCEL if you press enter. You should have to mouse click or cursor choose attack or something.

It's one of my fears that something like this happens to me, was attacked once not on purpose by a guy using the chat and pressing space, i flee fast and combat never started so he did not turned pirate  but could we not have a simple option to disable this and avoid such problems with chat keys interfering with game UI ? 

A simple option to tick : "Never engage players of the same Nation ( beside the traders of the same Nation who do contraband )", and the attack possibility will simply go off from the UI or get locked when clicking on a friendly ship ? 

If someone really wants to become a pirate it takes him 3 seconds to bring the options menu and untick this option to revert it.

nothing ridiculous

first you had to tag a friendly ship, THEN you had to look at a huge window come up confirming that you want to proceed and become a pirate:

dac5985900.jpg

To be fair Recluse I have done this with 2 taps of the space bar.  What happened was Arnvald was on the server and I was asking questions etc, and at some point I must have clicked on a friendly player.  I then went back to chat, and started typing.. or thought I did...  (I need to look at the keyboard)  I look up and see the timer counting down!!  Only then was I told I could keep hitting attack until I could get the player out of the circle.

When you click a player in the open world, htitting the space bar 'clicks attack; and then the next tap of the space bar 'clicks confirm' 

I never saw the big warning come up because i was looking at my kb thinking i was typing something.

Edit : just tried again and it does work, leaving the mouse cursor above the attack button and pressing space triggers it ... So forget about the following .

I have changed the keybind for fire in settings and apparently it does not work for me with space bar when i tried on a contraband ship, did not tried on a friendly.

I have single shot set to left mouse click and space for full salvo in combat instead or default key-binds that are the opposite, not sure if this does the trick to avoid the "space attack " or if it's something else in my keybinds that prevent it but apparently space does not work for me, but heard a lot of guys complaining about this space attack issue in chat . 

Still want an option to disable this to avoid a possible error one day when alt-tabbing or something.

Edited by Kanay

Perhaps the solution is much like you see in many games when its time to destroy something or delete a character, you actually have to type "YES" to confirm you wish to commit and act that will make you a pirate.

I have been helping a new player since yesterday, he came on this morning said hello, a couple of messages later, nothing..  I checked his info and he was now "pirate" which I know he didn't plan on.  Because he likely didn't have the global social setting on he also could no longer chat to me it looked like.

This is a significant issue that requires some attention.

I'm going to keep this thread bumped every so often until we get an official response. I don't like that the only way to get back to my faction is to delete my character and start again. 

I lose all my progress and all my redeemable ships. We're essentially being punished because we found a problem with the game.