Game-Labs Forum

Nation Cap Discussion

Here's an interesting philosophical debate - 

At what population percentage of the entire playerbase should the option of choosing a certain nation be blocked?

As an example - if 40% of the entire population is playing nation X, should it still be possible to join this nation?

IMO - there should definitely be a certain limit, that hopefully will rarely be implemented.

Discuss.

• Like 1

I'm not really a fan of the hard number cap but there certainly should be some sort of carrot to move ppl to the lower pop nations.

Think I read somewhere about possibly being able to change allegiance at some point in the future - maybe on a monthly cooldown. Could be interesting when/if a diplo system is added allowing mercenary forces etc, including xp/gold bonuses for those on low pop nations.

• Like 4

I have to say I am getting a little fed up with how busy Kingston is, I would certainly think about moving. I don't think there should be a hard limit though, but there should be the option to change nations and incentives to join the less populous places. Ideally more so some more nations and a more spread out map too, encompassing Europe. There should also be some incentives to set up outposts in the quieter areas.

Edited by Fluffy Fishy
  • Like 1

I think it would make for more interesting and responsible gameplay if no hard cap is implemented. People are less likely to feel invested in their nation's pride if they have been forced into it.

That said, if half the server joins Britain then it might not be fun for anyone. There's something Naval Action doesn't take into consideration afaik, and that's a nation's fleet capacity. Supposedly, any nation can only afford so many ships, maybe the crafting/trading and a nation's economy could influence it's fleet sustaining capacity be it in terms of quantity or quality.

One thing I think should happen is the removal of the pirate faction. With 2000 players per server and 7 nations you're only looking at 285 players per nation. Now you throw in the 8th 'faction' the pirates which is effectively the biggest pub bait title. People who don't have any friends to start the game off with will almost always want to join the pirates. It screams 'independence', 'adventure' and 'diversity' compared to joining a nation which by the very nature of it screams 'community' and 'uniformity'. When you played Cops vs Robbers as a kid, who did you like to play as? The cops? Or the robbers? Because I know as a child everyone fought over wanting to play the robbers.

Aside from that, one idea is to have a hard cap that distributes players evenly (within a range). And the only way to get past the hard cap in order to play with your friends or a clan you're interested in is for them to give you a small faction key that automatically generates each day. Those keys could be put on the forums or such that way random pubbers will help distribute the game but people who are really set on playing a certain nation can do so.

A soft cap idea which I think Vivoune stated is to have a quality vs quantity mechanic. The bigger your faction is the worse your ships are (i.e. almost always made of fir wood) while small factions like sweden would have a live oak fleet. And if these are stated before hand that might help redistribution. 

Another idea that could be mixed into this is better PvE rewards (gold/xp) the smaller your faction is. This would play into quality vs quantity. But unless a player was really set on playing a specific faction he probably would want a smaller grind. 

The best way is alliances.

Basically less populated factions can ally among themselves against the bigger ones. Devs can be in charge of that. That will even the odds.

Who cares if GB is 40% of population if all the others faction (minus pirates) are allied against them ? Sure it breaks a little the fun, but I don't any other way to balance it.

If population increases/decreases per faction devs can break alliances etc, as long as they communicate about it in advance.

Edited by Azzak
  • Like 1

No hard caps, have incentives for lower pop nations that you can see from the overview so people can join certain nations if they want but gain a certain advantage if they go to the low pop ones. Nothing that affects combat directly though.

+ exp / gold comes to mind.

Here's an interesting philosophical debate - 

At what population percentage of the entire playerbase should the option of choosing a certain nation be blocked?

As an example - if 40% of the entire population is playing nation X, should it still be possible to join this nation?

IMO - there should definitely be a certain limit, that hopefully will rarely be implemented.

Discuss.

Racism! ;)

• Like 1