Game-Labs Forum

It seems the reason why it wasn't used wasn't about technical limitations, but knowledge of the principle and also especially moral: that period was about lace wars, not the total war of the 20th century.

Greek fire shouldn't have been used as a flame thrower, but as a flammable that would be fired afterwards. A good wind would have diminished the risks. Whatever, implementing it in a game would just require to set up a balanced risk/reward.

It seems the reason why it wasn't used wasn't about technical limitations, but knowledge of the principle and also especially moral: that period was about lace wars, not the total war of the 20th century.

Greek fire shouldn't have been used as a flame thrower, but as a flammable that would be fired afterwards. A good wind would have diminished the risks. Whatever, implementing it in a game would just require to set up a balanced risk/reward.

Unfortunately for greek fire we have no information that it was ever used in age of sail battle.

But in this matter. Does this game need branders?

Greek fire wasn't used of course, it's just that Blackie's proposals about fire ships and bomb ketches made me remember some comics.

If by branders you mean position lights, I think it would be an interesting feature if there are night battles. In dark night battles (with clouds hiding the moon), the ships could even become untargetable when they would be far enough. We would just see lights (given the captains would light the branders). If those battles wouldn't happen too often, the feature would be nice.

In the comics I used to read (again), a captain being chased by frigates during a dark night put the long boat next to the stern of his brick, and turned off the position light of the ship at the same time as he turned on a light in the top of the long boat mast. The pursuers chased the drifting long boat and the brick escaped. (I'm not saying this should be in the game :P )

If by branders you mean fire ships, they would be interesting aswell. Not many maps have been proposed yet, but some could include channels in which fire ships could be deadly with appropriate wind conditions. I think post #11 (4.) and #14 are pretty much spot on. The question remains whether a player could manage 2 ships at the same time, or just give orders to an NPC ship.

the 1 v1 battle should be 30 min max battle to make people more availble for others battle. The map have to be enough big to allow ships to get the wind and ships have to take a small amount on shoo to be sunked. Frigates have no relaly armor and in some Alexander Kent books, some are sunk in a one shot from rated ships.

So frigate v Frigate, i would say : many time to get the better position ans few time battle with few shots to sunk th opponent