Game-Labs Forum

Missons Are Too Hard To Find

So can you make it a bit easier maybe put the mission maker in green or something or put soothing on the compass like a little arrow or  cross where the mission is meant to be I get it's early access and still in alpha but we NEED this in the game we really do. I mean put it in the options because some people will hate this Idea but the chat is full of people going how can i find my mission ect

It's really not that bad.  Press M for map, look at where the mission is compared to nearby ports, and sail from that port in roughly the right direction using the compass.  The missions are called search and destroy for a reason.  :)  These missions also give you great practice in learning navigation, a skill you will sorely need later in the game.

• Like 3

Its simple actually. You will be surprised, but in 2 weeks you will navigate by feel without looking at the compass.

I have to attend to something right now.. but if no-one will write a method i will respond tomorrow.

• Like 1

They're never placed more than a bit over the horizon. If you can read a map and estimate compass angles to within 30 degrees you can't miss them.

Unless there are 30 other battle markers surrounding it and it is like finding a needle in a needle stack.

I don't think the missions are too hard to find -- a little practice and you get good at finding them -- but I do think they take much too long to reach.

I sometimes spend as much time going to and from my mission as I do in the mission! Why? Why would a game developer think that I enjoy traveling over open water again and again and again to get to a mission? Is the point just to slow down the grind to the next level even more? If so, then just give me less experience per encounter and let me get into the fights faster. It's an open world. If I want to sail around and enjoy the scenery, I don't need a mission to do it. If I want a mission, what is the point of making me sail halfway around Jamaica to get one? (And yes, I'm visiting multiple ports and dropping missions that are too far because I can't stand the wasted time traveling to them -- but it still means going back and forth between lots of ports for no in-game reason. I really wish designers would ask themselves, "Do players think this idea I have is fun?" before they go and implement it.)

@thomas aagaard, I find that the "small battles" aren't nearly as balanced as the missions, which the devs have thoughtfully allowed you to tailor to the difficulty you like. Sometimes, the fight is a cakewalk. Sometimes, it's impossible to win. And depending on when you arrive in port, you might wait long enough for the next battle that you could just travel to a mission. I understand that some players like the immersive part of sailing to a mission, but the mission is marked by giant, floating crossed swords that you can see for miles. That's not very immersive for me. For a mission to be immersive, I think they'd need to create a new type -- something where you had to search for a specific type of ship from a specific nationality -- maybe you'd have to follow it and report back to the Admiralty where it went -- or maybe you'd have to attack it. In either case, I can't imagine an immersive mission involving a crossed swords marker hovering over the water. It would have to be more subtle than that -- and it's totally doable in NA -- they just have to decide if enough people would enjoy that kind of mission to make it worth coding it.