Game-Labs Forum

Alternate Forms Of Xp Gains.

I assume there are some other options on the way.  I like sailing/gunning as much as the next fellow - and I only have 18 hours in the game.  One thing I'd like to see is a small (5-10 XP) for each port you visit, which would encourage exploration.

I'd like to see courier missions in the missions list, for a moderate XP gain (30-50), etc.  I'm quite sure I've missed some of it, but if it's all ship-destroying grind, that takes a bit of joy out of it for me.  I'd definitely enjoy some alternate methods to gain a little XP here and there.  I did think of whaling when I first played the game and I saw that was mentioned here too.

Are their plans for diplomatic/trade/exploration missions in the future - or will all XP be based solely on enemy ship kills?  I've killed a dozen or more ships since the wipe and it's just a slow crawl.

I agree to some extent but I worry about balance slightly, I haven't battled too much, I like to do a few now and again but for the most part I quite like just sailing around. It would be nice to recognise more play styles and open the world up more to traders and crafters.

Yeah, give some purpose to going out and seeing the world.  If you can stick around a single island and fight just about everything you need...it defeats some of the purpose.  I'd also like to see some XP system for those who want to do more trading (certain XP for Y-dollar amount gained through selling resources?).  Not big XP, not game breaking, but making stuff more worthwhile.  For instance, I have tons of money - enough for a couple of larger ships, but I'm stuck slowly grinding through battles to level up so I can even use a larger ship.

I don't mind a bit of grinding, but I'd like to be able to grind in a few different ways, vs. just gunning other ships into drift wood.

It's also important to note, that the primary benefit of exploration is the ability to learn the 'supply and demand' of a port. So that you know which ports produce product X at a reduced rate, and which ports consume product X at a high rate, so that your sale nets you a decent return.

You'll end up finding yourself forced away from specific locales when another nation comes to rip the ports out of your hands.

Edited by Arnaud Arpes