Game-Labs Forum

Tacking Sequence

• 3 weeks later...

OK.  Question.  Yes, I cannot answer this...as I struggle with the Privateer:

• Is manual turning different with these masts, given that they swing back and forth on the ship, versus pivoting in the middle?

I will figure it out eventually, but someone might be able to cut down on the time required in the learning curve.  For clarification, I am headed straight down wind, I would normally push "Q" and "C" to turn hard to the left on a ship like the Tricom...  same button sequence?

I can hear the responses "Just look at how the wind pushes your sails..." (please post it now).  But I R E A L L Y suck at things mechanical in nature and anything that requires spatial relations!!!

Heeeeeeeeeeelp!

Don't use manual sails with the privateer, cutter, Lynx or yacht. These gaff-rigged vessels have unfinished sailing models, and fiddling with the yards cannot aid your turning or tacking.

You can use yard control to slow down, but anything is likely to do more harm than good.

Well....ok.  I can do nothing - that is easy.  I am confused though.

Lynx, Cutter, Yacht:  1 mast (or yard, if that is the apppropriate term).  But where the Privateer has 2, I assume there must be a way to manipulate them to my advantage?  No?

EDIT, INSTEAD OF A 2nd POST:  You are right 2 controllable masts on a Lynx.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks Mr. Smith. I try to make an arrow in the direction I'm turning, while ensuring the yard I'm handling manually is parallel with the wind direction (providing the least surface area possible) as I turn. Once I come up into the wind, I reverse the arrow to tack. Not sure if that's entirely correct, but it seems to work well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I would like to suggest a new topic be created and pinned as a guide for tacking -- one that is current. I just got my brig, so I naturally came here to learn the best way to tack it, and I find 8 pages, and I'm not totally sure the original post is accurate and current.

I would be glad to review this post and create a new post for the new tacking guide. I'm not sure I'm the best qualified, but I can get it started.

The system is essentially the same, except it's faster now. You could always PM Johnny Reb and ask him to update the OP.

There are also plenty of video tutorials out there, but many are either extremely longwinded or do it wrong.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I've created a simple guide that has worked fairly well for me. I'm not sure how 'correct' these steps are, but they have certainly allowed me to better control my battlefield movements in both running position and tacking on my Pickle. I have also created a guide for square rigged vessels, but I haven't tested it well enough to post.

I should clarify that this chart is really for tight turning, and is not going to grant you any additional speed, just improve your battlefield control.

post-17493-0-76032400-1453903546_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1