Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Capt-Pugwash

Server difference

Hi. What is the difference between the two servers? sorry if it's on the forum already, if it is please direct me to it. 

The clue is in the name my friend.... PvP and PvE. One has a player v player environment, the other is player v the environment only.

Depending on your playing style choose one or the other, even both. ;)

• Like 1

There are 3 servers now

PvP One - main server where everyone was playing all this time (location EU)

PvE One - pve server (location USA)

New server was added today just in case a lot of people comes in.

PvP Two - location USA

• Like 4

Can we keep my ships and money in the USA server. I wanted a better ping but do not want to lose progess with the same character.

This screws over all the US players who participated in Headstart, you can't do things like this unannounced after we've made permanent decisions about where to play.  No EU players are going to play on the US server, the EU nations sans GB will be empty, and it'll be far less interesting to play on.  Very disappointed.

Clear lack of forethought and consideration to your US playerbase.

• Like 1

This screws over all the US players who participated in Headstart, you can't do things like this unannounced after we've made permanent decisions about where to play.  No EU players are going to play on the US server, the EU nations sans GB will be empty, and it'll be far less interesting to play on.  Very disappointed.

I don't understand the reason for your dissatisfaction.

And you talk about "lack of (...) consideration to US base " ? Come on...

There are the USA in game, US ships ingame, an US server !

Come and play on the EU server. The US server :

...was added today just in case a lot of people comes in.

PvP Two - location USA

I'm sure lots of people will come in soon  :)

Edited by LeBoiteux

There are 3 servers now

PvP One - main server where everyone was playing all this time (location EU)

PvE One - pve server (location USA)

PvP Two - location USA

Did you think that with that decission in the EU PvP server the USA nation will be underpopulated and in USA PVP will be overpopulated? Is obviously that most of the americans, with some exceptions ofc, will be their nation faction.

PvP Two - location USA

So if not, are you going to close it?

Edited by Celonius

I don't understand the reason for your dissatisfaction.

And you talk about "lack of (...) consideration to US base " ? Come on...

There are the USA in game, US ships ingame, an US server !

Come and play on the EU server. The US server :

I'm sure lots of people will come in soon  :)

Mate, is simple. If you create an USA server, is obviously that their players, people from USA, will choose their nation. Not all, but most of them. So probably the USA server will have more USA faction players than EU nations players. Probably it will have a lot of USA and Pirates faction players. Also, it happens the same with the EU server, there won't be a lot of USA faction players.

This is  the same like Pirates of the Burning Sea, in the release the opened regional servers, even more close to the country than the continent. You know what happened? Well, I'm from Spain, and me and my clan entered in spanish server. This server was overpopulated in the spanish side because, obviusly, the spaniards had chosen the Spain faction. And the same happened with frenchs, british, etc. Is not a good move.

This is what happen when you create a game with historical nations factions, that people tend to join their country nation and it brokes the balance of the game. 

Edited by Celonius

"Mate", the idea is simple :

Players go to the EU server, whatever their nation in game or their real one. 

When EU server is full (3000 players or so), players go to the US server, whatever their nation in game or their real one. 

If EU server is unusable, players go to the US server and vice-versa.

The idea is simple. 

When EU server is full (3000 players or so), players go to the US server, whatever their nation in game or their real one. 

The idea is simple. 

What is the in-game mechanic forcing US players who are buying the game from Steam to choose the EU server?  This will unavoidably defragment the US playerbase, while not affecting EU players, so of course the Europeans don't care.

What is the in-game mechanic forcing US players who are buying the game from Steam to choose the EU server?  This will unavoidably defragment the US playerbase, while not affecting EU players, so of course the Europeans don't care.

You got it. That's an European conspiracy !!! :D

Being from the USA, I've been playing on the only pvp server so far, pvp one, and plan to stay on that server as that is where my guild is.

You got it. That's an European conspiracy !!! :D

This would be akin to opening up a UK PvP server tomorrow.  You think that would be received well by Brits?

Although, we didn't quite answer the guys question, what's the difference between pvp and pve?

On the pvp servers, anyone, even players, not of your nation can attack you.

On the pve server you can only be attacked by npcs (ai ships).

Am I correct?

Edited by Anneinedu
  • Like 1

This would be akin to opening up a UK PvP server tomorrow.  You think that would be received well by Brits?

But it wont, the only reason they opened up a PvP2 (based in US) is that they had one there already. You can still play on the EU or you can play the US, not a single person will force you to play on PvP one or two, thats up to you.

• Like 1

The idea is simple. 

The problem is not adding more server, I understand that if they can hold more players in one server they need to open more. Although, I think the normal is to wait how many people buys the game, because it seems they are too optimistic and maybe we dont even fill the first server. The problem is open REGIONAL servers. Players choose their own nation. That's simple: Im from Spain, I like all my clan chosen spanish nation. In the nation channel the 95% of the people are speaking in spanisn, only 3-4 speak in english. And the same happen with other nations. The only faction who is neutral in that way is the Pirate faction, where can hold players of all the countries.

This brokes the balance of the game. 

Edited by Celonius

It is not USA server for US players, the name of that server is "PvP 2". Location USA is only informative for people know where is.

Seeing the overreactions, I recomend to Devs quit the location of the server in the info avoid strange overreactions.

• Like 1

Although, we didn't quite answer the guys question. What's the difference between pvp and pve.

On the pvp servers, anyone, even players, not of your nation can attack you.

On the pve server you can only be attacked by npcs (ai ships).

Am I correct?

PvP = Player versues Player so that is against players but also bots.

PvE = Player versues Environment that is you fight against bots and never players.

Lots of us Americans (and Canadians) in the Brit fleet, I'm staying on the EU server. A shard would be fine, but splitting up isn't in the cards for me.

• Like 2

Demerzel you were reported for bad language in game towards us. Please don't do it because all decisions we make are for the benefit of the players, not just one nation.

Several servers are absolutely needed and we have one more reserve one coming. Game availability is more important at launch than even distribution of nations. With 1 server there is a good chance no-one will be able to play. Reserve servers solve this problem.

Feel free to post here and on steam forums which server you would advise players to go

• Like 5

People must understand that 1 server has limits. 3000 people I think.

If only 3000 people can enter the first day, the rest of people that pay for the game would be outside without play... you can imagine the end of history. Steam rants, steam very bad votes, refunds...

Perhaps you could name the servers ala Potbs, the location would then be incidental.

1: Broadside PvP [EU]

2: Chaser PvP [uS]

3: Trader PvE [uS]

Admirals names or famous ships... the choice is huge. ;)

• Like 1

Perhaps you could name the servers ala Potbs, the location would then be incidental.

1: Broadside PvP [EU]

2: Chaser PvP [uS]

3: Trader PvE [uS]

Admirals names or famous ships... the choice is huge. ;)

Or woman's names:

1. Margarita PvP (EU)

2. Monica Lewinsky PvE (USA)

2. Alice PvP (San Petersburg)

• Like 1

We thought of giving the servers unique names.

We just did not want to rename servers just before launch to avoid confusion

• Like 2

Demerzel you were reported for bad language in game towards us. Please don't do it because all decisions we make are for the benefit of the players, not just one nation.

Several servers are absolutely needed and we have one more reserve one coming. Game availability is more important at launch than even distribution of nations. With 1 server there is a good chance no-one will be able to play. Reserve servers solve this problem.

Feel free to post here and on steam forums which server you would advise players to go

I think that none of us thinks that you want to benefit one nation, the point is maybe your decisition can be wrong. Or you always do the right decistion? Just asking.

Anyway, why do you think that you will need sooo many servers? The steam sales are not open yet, so you do not know how many players will be in the game. I listened that the max player per server are 3000, is that correct? So, if finally you open 4 servers, it will spect a population of 10.000 players online (more or less) in all the game? Do you think that this game since the beginning of Early Acces on stem will have an increase of 300 players online in pre-alpha to 10.000 after EA on Steam? 

The normal will be wait until now how many players will be have this game, and if there are more than 3000 online, then, you open another shard.

Edited by Celonius