Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
maturin

Please don't fix the OW missions

Dude yourself.

Who asked for a PVE server ? Not me. Who says that most people like PVP all day long ??

Why some people says some are hiding in missions ? Why don't you have fun with other PVP-ers since there are a lot on the server ?

Real PVP-ers will not do missions. Since you want to play PVP, stop chaising there.

Who asked for a PVE server ? I do not know if you asked for this, but I'm pretty sure some did. If not, why they did put one more shard (with more maintenance costs) if there is no demand of it?

Who says that most people like PVP all day long ?? The stats say that. In the pre-alpha there were a population of 300 during the day (more or less) in the PvP shard. In the PvE shard were 30. Yesterday there were during the day a population of 700-800. In the PvE shard were 70-80 (I checked). It seems that the PvE community in this game is 10% of the PvP community.

Why some people says some are hiding in missions ? Why don't you have fun with other PVP-ers since there are a lot on the server ?

Real PVP-ers will not do missions. Since you want to play PVP, stop chaising there.

We like PvP in all the ways. I can understand you do not want to be killed or helped by other player and play in a restrictive way, but you can do that in PvE. So, why you do not let the PvPers plays our way?

Edited by Celonius

Who asked for a PVE server ? I do not know if you asked for this, but I'm pretty sure some did. If not, why they did put one more shard (with more maintenance costs) if there is no demand of it?

Who says that most people like PVP all day long ?? The stats say. In the pre-alpha there were a population of 300 during the day (more or less) in the PvP shard. In the PvE shard were 30. Yesterday there were during the day a population of 700-800. In the PvE shard where 70-80 (I checked). It seems that the PvE community in this game is 10% of the PvP community.

We like PvP in all the ways. I can understand you do not want to be killed or helped by other player and play in a restrictive way, but you can do that in PvE. So, why you do not let the PvPers plays our way?

Perhaps devs thought it would be a solution.

Isn't the server not big enough for everybody ?

A lot of the players in PVP server, play PVE and PVP..

Why do you want to attack players doing their mission ? Because some are hiding there ?

I proposed other solutions, other players enter during 15 secs after first player. After this time mission has started.

There would be no missions available in ports known as PVP ports. Although I do not know what a PVP port is.

Yes, I play a lot in group, when the group is there. When the group is not there or doing crafting or trading or just sailing around or doing PVP in another part of the world, I do missions.

• Like 1

Did a mission off Port Morant, had 5 other clippers join in. Utterly ridiculous. I love good PvP, but I should not be competing for XP and gold in my own mission instances. 

• Like 1

Perhaps devs thought it would be a solution.

Isn't the server not big enough for everybody ?

A lot of the players in PVP server, play PVE and PVP..

Why do you want to attack players doing their mission ? Because some are hiding there ?

I proposed other solutions, other players enter during 15 secs after first player. After this time mission has started.

There would be no missions available in ports known as PVP ports. Although I do not know what a PVP port is.

Yes, I play a lot in group, when the group is there. When the group is not there or doing crafting or trading or just sailing around or doing PVP in another part of the world, I do missions.

Isn't the server not big enough for everybody ? The point is, I think that before the devs created a PvE shard. Im not a fan of divide the population in both servers, I like the idea of having one unique server. If it was that way, Im agree of having some PvE zones where you can do missions withouth the risk of being ganked. And then put PvP ports and PvP areas. Like in EVE Online where you have high security, mid security and low security. But since the moment they created two shard there is no need of having PvE mechanics in a PvP shard because that mechanics belong only to PvE shard.  Is like if Im going to PvE shard and I ask for PvP zones in that server. 

I do not want to attack players doing missions, I do not do that kind of PvP, but I'm agree with the lore of that kind of playing. Is like in the Caribbean, no safe place. I like that envronment.

Edited by Celonius

The problem is that there is a mismatch in scale between OW and the battle environment.

In OW you can see a battle that's 40 miles away, tell who the combatants are, and be there in 60 seconds.

Meanwhile the battle runs at real time and you lose sight of a ship in the mist that is 2 miles away.

• Like 2

I don't have the game yet, but I'll add my opinion anyway. Most of players play on the PvP server because they can do both, its essentially PvPvE. You have a choice to a certain degree. Once you join the PvE server, that's it, you will be PvE for the life of the character (unless they have character transfers, but that sounds like a really bad idea). Reading through the comments here, it seems pretty 50/50 for and against open missions, so a compromise should happen (whether it will or not is up to the devs). The 1 minute timer sounds like the best idea, then that timer can be adjusted later to find the sweet spot. A mission is then not an escape point, but you will be able to run missions in relative peace as long as you check your surroundings before entering.

Seigfried made a good point earlier, once you are in the mission, you have no awareness of your surroundings on the OW. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't see people joining your mission coming from the horizon? At least in Eve you had you D-scanner, so you had some perception of what was happening around you outside of the mission area. 

I admittedly don't know enough about this awesome looking game to make an 100% accurate argument one way or the other, but surely a compromise is the best solution here.

When EA hits it is very possible that there could be 20k ppl playing this game during the first week.  Devs stated they can only hold about 3000 players on a single shard.  We don't know exactly how the infrastructure is going to work, but I would expect to see multiple shards and the community somewhat split will most likely be the reality.

As far as the 'risk free OW engagements' go...it is of my opinion on the PvP shard, the second you thit that SAIL button from port you should expect to be open game for anyone.  The devs have already made it ridiculously easy to run with OW counter tagging, large starting distances in combat instances, non-damaging shot that hit do not counting as a tag, sail repairs, being able to hide in the post battle results window, etc.  If someone joins your instance you can run from battle and go back into the safety of a nearest port.  There were no magic instances in real life Age of Sail that you could run to in the middle of the ocean as a safe haven (I am okay for now with the 5 timer being the limit).

As far as the problem of 'allies jumping into my pvp instance and stealing my kill' problem, I have been asking the devs to make it so when anyone not in the original combat instance tries to join, that the person inside gets some kind of pop up 'player x from y nation sailing on z ship wants to join your team.  Do you accept?'  Unfortunately they have not seemed to agree with me in the past of letting players choose if they want to have help or not and just be left alone :(

I don't have the game yet, but I'll add my opinion anyway. Most of players play on the PvP server because they can do both, its essentially PvPvE. You have a choice to a certain degree. Once you join the PvE server, that's it, you will be PvE for the life of the character (unless they have character transfers, but that sounds like a really bad idea). Reading through the comments here, it seems pretty 50/50 for and against open missions, so a compromise should happen (whether it will or not is up to the devs). The 1 minute timer sounds like the best idea, then that timer can be adjusted later to find the sweet spot. A mission is then not an escape point, but you will be able to run missions in relative peace as long as you check your surroundings before entering.

Seigfried made a good point earlier, once you are in the mission, you have no awareness of your surroundings on the OW. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't see people joining your mission coming from the horizon? At least in Eve you had you D-scanner, so you had some perception of what was happening around you outside of the mission area. 

I admittedly don't know enough about this awesome looking game to make an 100% accurate argument one way or the other, but surely a compromise is the best solution here.

Uzi it is the very reason, most players complained about the single shard which was essentially a PvPvE shard, the devs kept trying to limit BR and provide AI fleets and all this stuff to try and protect players from PvP but it really didn't work.  We wanted the servers explicitly split up into clearly defined and separate PvP and PvE servers with a separate ruleset that catered to each sides so everyone could play the game.  It was really not working having both sides on the same server...some ppl want 90-100% protection from non consensual pvp (basically they want either a single player or co-op OW environment like Fallout (can't remember if that has co-op lol).

I think the numbers back it up...90% of the population chose the PvP realm...you cannot have magical safety net (unless at your capital, which isn't really magical).  It will piss off too much of the community.

Edited by Booyaah

I, as many others, never asked for a PvE shard, I only play in the main shard, PvP or PvE or Player vs Skynet or the name you want give it. I know some day is very possible that PvE server be closed and then I want to have my stuff in the main. This is not a conspiration, is only the most probable future scenario.

And this offtopic is for Celonius:

Your hyper high activity against PvE shard in forum and game chat is a lobby antiPvE shard and you are the only person I know doing that. Have you even customized a picture to try to ridicule me? Really? Why so much interest in that? How many post you write every day with the same "cantinela"? Y después hablas del perro del hortelano... en fin. Eres tu quien quiere quitar de comer a los demás pidiendo que cierren un server en el que ni siquiera juegas.

This is the second time that you tell me how or where I must to play this game and I remember you that I have Tester and Chart maker tag. I have more of 1 year in the game and more of 1300 hours played. And I bet that your clan use the map I am making too, since before you came here. So, I will play where I want, thanks.

If you can connect both shard with the same characters, it keeps the xp points (Im not agree with that). The only thing you do not keep is resources, money and ship.

Well, returning the topic.

Here all people say about people scaping in black holes, but nobody speak about people who get missions near of port and when they enter, others, invisible jump for him. And the guy inside can not be aware from that. When you pick a mission, you can not choose where it is.

I propose:

- 60 or less seconds to close battle.

- Not instantly enter in battle. Make it as normal battles with 20 seconds and if you are tagged before the counter reach 0, the mission entry counter is canceled and a normal battle begins with the attacker.

- Make a circle like normal battles when you enter in mission and other ships inside will enter with you. Other people can see the circle but not the mission icon.

- And for avoid someone enter in your mission without their will, put missions far from free and neutral towns. And no very close to own faction ports.

I, as many others, never asked for a PvE shard, I only play in the main shard, PvP or PvE or Player vs Skynet or the name you want give it. I know some day is very possible that PvE server be closed and then I want to have my stuff in the main. This is not a conspiration, is only the most probable future scenario.

And this offtopic is for Celonius:

Your hyper high activity against PvE shard in forum and game chat is a lobby antiPvE shard and you are the only person I know doing that. Have you even customized a picture to try to ridicule me? Really? Why so much interest in that? How many post you write every day with the same "cantinela"? Y después hablas del perro del hortelano... en fin. Eres tu quien quiere quitar de comer a los demás pidiendo que cierren un server en el que ni siquiera juegas.

This is the second time that you tell me how or where I must to play this game and I remember you that I have Tester and Chart maker tag. I have more of 1 year in the game and more of 1300 hours played. And I bet that your clan use the map I am making too, since before you came here. So, I will play where I want, thanks.

Hey, relax buddy.

I think that you are a little bit paranoid about this. I just expressed my opinion about PvE shard, but it seems that radical people tends to think that those one who do not think like them create lobbys and dark conspiracies agains them.

And not, Im not the only one who is against the PvE shard. Most of us prefer a mixt between PvE and PvP as I said some posts before. 

I do not want to ridiculize you, it was just a joke mate. As I said: Relax. You were putting more images and making ironies about other of my post and I did not take it as a something personal.

I can write whatever I can, if you do not like my opinion maybe you do not like the freedom of expressión.

Yo no dije que cierren nada porque sí, simplemente dije que si ese servidor iba a tener unos altos costes en comparación con los 4 gatos que juegan y que pocos beneficios pueden reportar a la empresa, que problema hay? Lo hacen todas las desarrolladoras. Aquí los únicos insatisfechos son los de siempre, los carebears, no tienen suficiente con su server PvE sino que encima ahora quieren meter más mecánicas PvE en el de PvP. Les digo lo que a ti, si quieres hacer misiones tranquilos hacedlas en el PvE, total se os guarda la exp para el de PvP.

I do not tell you what to do or what not to do, Im just doing my advise: If you do not want to be ganked, then play PvE server. Thats all :).

"I remember you that I have Tester and Chart maker tag. I have more of 1 year in the game and more of 1300 hours played. And I bet that your clan use the map I am making too, since before you came here. "

Do you think because you are here since more than 1 year, you have played a lot of hours and you have created a map that my clan use, by that, do you think that you have more rights than me? Well, Im going to answer tha tquestion: No. I will continue to express my opinion, so stop saying that thing of you are here over a year, because there is no hierarchy of seniority about this. You've already repeated on more than one occasion.

And please, keep my clan away of this, Im not speaking by my clan, I'm speaking by myself. And? You know what? I do not use your map, that is quite nice, but nope, I use the game map.

Cheers  B) 

Edited by Celonius

Considering it is a mission to "seek and destroy" enemy targets near a certain location, it should include some sailing and searching for your targets certainly away from your port.

I have yet to get a mission that was that close to port. I usually have to sail a few minutes to find the marker and now it is harder with markers all over the place!

• Like 1

Considering it is a mission to "seek and destroy" enemy targets near a certain location, it should include some sailing and searching for your targets certainly away from your port.

I have yet to get a mission that was that close to port. I usually have to sail a few minutes to find the marker and now it is harder with markers all over the place!

Some ports give missions that spawn right on top of the port entry.  I'm guessing there is a lot of work still to do on the mission spawns.

• Like 1

None of my many missions were in front of port in Habana area. Always in 5 minutes sailing or more. Sometimes in the south coast of the island.

But I remember one day someone said in chat: "Hey guys, in xxxxxxxx port, all missions spawn in front of the port, you can save the travel and grind faster" or something like that.

Is only an issue in some ports and the people know about it and concentrate in that spots. Maybe is a intend mechanic for create PvP hotspots.

Did a mission off Port Morant, had 5 other clippers join in. Utterly ridiculous. I love good PvP, but I should not be competing for XP and gold in my own mission instances. 

You aren't competing as effectively the other p[layers are finishing off YOUR mission for you, for which only YOU get the XP and money. Sure the targets xp etc get shared but you get to quickly finish the mission and move on.

You aren't competing as effectively the other p[layers are finishing off YOUR mission for you, for which only YOU get the XP and money. Sure the targets xp etc get shared but you get to quickly finish the mission and move on.

Ummmm, interesting way to think... maybe you are right.

As far as the problem of 'allies jumping into my pvp instance and stealing my kill' problem, I have been asking the devs to make it so when anyone not in the original combat instance tries to join, that the person inside gets some kind of pop up 'player x from y nation sailing on z ship wants to join your team.  Do you accept?'  Unfortunately they have not seemed to agree with me in the past of letting players choose if they want to have help or not and just be left alone  :(

Uzi it is the very reason, most players complained about the single shard which was essentially a PvPvE shard, the devs kept trying to limit BR and provide AI fleets and all this stuff to try and protect players from PvP but it really didn't work.  We wanted the servers explicitly split up into clearly defined and separate PvP and PvE servers with a separate ruleset that catered to each sides so everyone could play the game.  It was really not working having both sides on the same server...some ppl want 90-100% protection from non consensual pvp (basically they want either a single player or co-op OW environment like Fallout (can't remember if that has co-op lol).

I think the numbers back it up...90% of the population chose the PvP realm...you cannot have magical safety net (unless at your capital, which isn't really magical).  It will piss off too much of the community.

But still the problem is most people want both PvP and PvE, you can't get that in the PvE server. It's 90% of the player base because they want that option. I wouldn't mind getting ganked once in a while, because sooner or later you become the ganker instead. For me it's the lack of awareness around your mission instance in the OW.

What you proposed about having a warning before a player joins is a great idea. To refine it slightly, have it where the joiner(player-A) can choose whether to help or oppose the player-B inside. Once he decides, player-B inside the combat then gets either "Do you accept help from 'player-A'?" or "'player-A' is joining combat in 30 seconds, make ready!". At least then random people could help each other, and the guy inside the mission will at least know someone(possibly an enemy) is entering and make preparations accordingly.

If you can connect both shard with the same characters, it keeps the xp points (Im not agree with that). The only thing you do not keep is resources, money and ship.

That's quite an interesting way of doing it, and I'm not sure what I think of it. I guess it means you can at least level up from the rookie ships in comfort and safety, then if you want an element of PvP you can switch over, but you'll have to earn your next ships from scratch. Sounds good on paper, but I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see for myself. Damn, I cannot wait any longer....

Do you have to survive the mission to get the reward (or be there at the end) ?  if not and people pile in.. just go to the next mission and let them get you your exp and gold from the first one while you work on the next?   (assuming you have multiples stacked up)

M

• Like 1

I was wrong, leave missions open for anyone to join, it's so much more dynamic. Maybe a notification, but without it, it does mean you have to keep an eye around you, which is much more interesting.

I had a couple of players join in a mission yesterday. They stayed at a distance and kited a bit then closed in and one boarded the AI, but by that time it was sinking anyway. I got the kill and mission rewards so meh no big problem.

Now if the late joiners on missions also got the mission rewards that would be a bug to squash!

I appreciate some of the points and the fact that we want the game to be focused on PvP.  The problem arises with griefing which is not fun PvP.  As long as players risking NOTHING can interfere with players risking SOMETHING then you will have a problem.  If it becomes standard for players in basic cutters to enter high level missions from opposing nations which are using ships that actually cost to repair then you will see paying customers leave the game and soon there will be nobody left to grief.  Just a bunch of game wrecking griefers driving basic cutters and not really progressing in the game.  

I have already seen this happen and I am amazed at how effective a couple of basic cutters can be when aided by the typically strong NPC ships that come in missions. The griefer wins no matter what, he loses nothing even if the enemy players can chase him down and kill him.  He still gains exp and gold.  He also has wasted the time of the mission runners and possibly even spoiled their ability to complete the mission.  These one sided situations will break the game... 

I feel that something far more sophisticated must be implemented.  Some restriction on letting players with free ships join in battles against players with ships they have to pay for.  Or some form of BR matching.  I just know that leaving it as is runs a huge risk of driving off players with griefers.  

Jern

www.sturmgrenadier.org

Hell no, I have had nothing but idiots "join" my battles. Those are my missions and all I get are window lickers who come in and get between me and the ship I am attacking and cause me to lose XP. This at the very least needs to be an option you can toggle on and off. 

I kinda like the new (bug) system too. Had some funny meetings and engagements with them already. And common, how big are the chances of someone joining actually? Even with 1500 Players Online this evening i had it only 2 times happening in about 20 Missions or so. And one of the 2 was just a confused newbie, i had a nice chat about european beer with him.

Edited by Xoosch

This needs to be fixed.  I'm tired of US players jumping in my missions stealing my ships.

• Like 4