Game-Labs Forum

Question to the devs, about the aesthetics of the game.

I've always loved history, but for some reason my focuses always seemed to by pass this era of the 1800's. This game really got me into the naval aspect of this early time era, and in doing so I watched some live cannon mock battles where they shot cannons at properly proportioned to scale sides of historical ships, etc. showing off just how much destruction cannons could really have. It truly was an eye opener.

Today I was reminded of a movie I'm sure most here have seen. Master and Commander. While watching it, and remembering the live fire re enactments of other history channel etc. shows, I was noticing things compared to the game.

Please note, that the reason I ask these things, and bring them up is because Naval Action is an absolutely astounding game already, and I know it's still in early development, which only makes me excited for future updates.

My only real question that nobody seems to be asking is. Do the developers have plans for updated Aesthetics of the game?

One of the glaring "situations". (Avoiding calling it a "problem). Is the scale of ships. It seems as though the higher tier the ship gets, the more "scaled down" it feels. A 3 story monster feels like a smushed version of a 2 story, and the yacht next to a larger vessel feels like its been morphed larger than it should be. The "sizes" of ships do not seem to fit historical, or realistic sizes compared to each other. The most notable reason of this, is the simple size of the cannons, crew, and "holes" for the cannons.

Taking a Snow, or even a Cutter next to a double or even triple decker ship in the game, you can see the sizes of the  men do not fit, and even the cannons seem to have shrunk, when in reality they should be bigger.

---------------

Another notable instance is simply a graphical one. I love the way wood splinters off, and flies everywhere. In one of the live test videos I saw, wood that had splintered off from inside the ship was found 30 feet away from the ejection force after the ball had punched through the wood.

In the game though, most of these splinters are nearly the size of the crew members in general, which seems to be another aesthetic "scaling" situation that's "off" from being realistic.

--------------

I am wondering if the developers are aware, or have plans for updates on these, and or have plans for more "aesthetic" updates, changes, additions in the future.