Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kokerpiraat

Open World looks incomplete

More of a question really. What are the plans for open world? Often sailing feels like a bit of a dead practise. In Battle. You often see more guns on the deck, crew, flags. In open world this is all missing, and you can't see other players' stuff either. 

Future plans to implement this?

Well , basically the open world still serves the function of a travelling map. It's exactly because it's very good looking that it manages to conceal that :)

To be fair, it could look worse, I still remember those times when ports didn´t even have textures... And when AI ships sailed trough land. Those were the times...

• Like 4

To be fair, it could look worse, I still remember those times when ports didn´t even have textures... And when AI ships sailed trough land. Those were the times...

Back when you could find glitched spots where there 100+ nps fleets .

Boy I wish i was around when i  could have seen that 

Not to mention the flat lands, the stationary sails, ships underwater, random shallows...

Its a work in progress, if you have solid proposals, please post them in the designated threads.

• Like 2

The main problem with the OW is speed. Ships still move unrealistically fast, but your overall speed is too low, it takes ages to get somewhere. It's really time-consuming, I don't understand how nations with remote capitals (like the Dutch) are able to do sth in a sensible amount of time. I wish they could slow down animations and increase ships' speed or just decrease the size of the game's world.

Edited by Mighty_Alex

I've wished for a sailing era game without the top down speed boats of the past, forever..

I am happy with the size of the OW and time spent getting anywhere.  Appreciate this game is not targetted at mass market it is a niche game..  its not for everyone.

Think it took me a little over 2 hours to sail from east coast US to Bermuda, think the flight from Toronto is not much more than that irl :)

• Like 1

The main problem with the OW is speed. Ships still move unrealistically fast, but your overall speed is too low, it takes ages to get somewhere. It's really time-consuming, I don't understand how nations with remote capitals (like the Dutch) are able to do sth in a sensible amount of time. I wish they could slow down animations and increase ships' speed or just decrease the size of the game's world.

Dutch here. We just move to the front line everytime we expand or use teleport at the right time.

More content is coming:

Dev last post

• Content patches (ships and new features): Every 30 days
  • Tuning and bug fixing: Every 2 weeks (critical things every week).

Don't forget the pig cloud(s)!

• Like 4

We need yard control and spyglass in OW...been saying it for months...devs have other priorities I guess.

I'm more worried about the lack of variety in instances, no land yet, port battles isn't really port battles(where is the port?), etc. I feel they put this game too early on steam, boring instances can get this game slaugthered by the masses.... Im worried :mellow: .

I am pretty sure if you look at the development plan that is in the list.

• Like 1

I am pretty sure if you look at the development plan that is in the list.

I know it's coming, but I feel It should be implemented before it's released to the masses.... Fighting the same battle over and over and over again can get people bored(Im bored already) and not everyone picking it up at steam now knows the development plans, they just gonna judge the product as it is...

If every battle is the same for you, your clearly missing out on many features the game has to offer. The OW gives you the organic encounters that make the game great. Its the times your sailing between ports to get to new hunting grounds then heavu fog rolls in, suddenly an enemy player appears from the fog and targets you in his larger ship. The battle starts and you make a break for it, trying to out run them, but hes still gaining. You turn to go down fighting and as you begin the hopeless battle suddenly a captain from your nation stumbles across the battle (in that time and place in a huge game world) and joins to save the day. And the 2 of yoy reverse the tide and the hunter is now hunted....

And THAT ladies and gentlemen is exactly why NA is amazing. OW is a place where anything can happen and while it has a ways to go before being "complete", it is why this game is 100 times better then anytging like world of warships.

• Like 1

More of a question really. What are the plans for open world? Often sailing feels like a bit of a dead practise. In Battle. You often see more guns on the deck, crew, flags. In open world this is all missing, and you can't see other players' stuff either. 

Future plans to implement this?

I don't understand your post. The game is still in Alpha, are you expecting a finished product? Of course its going to be incomplete.

Congratulation on the early access release, it sems to go smooth and meet positive feedback thus far. I whish you all the best success.

That said, I'm very disappointed with it. I was simply astonished and so impressed with Naval Action a couple of years ago and how great the simulation and immersion was, truly unprecedented. Finally a well made serious realistic naval game!

I didn't really follow it's development last year, the early access arrived and what a huge blow it's been to my enthusiasm when I realized all these great things were not the actual game per se, but only the pvp/pve instance and that the base of the game was actually on a separate world map with gamey mechanics such as invisibility, invulnerability, combat icons, rocket speeding ships that turn on a dime and islands that can be crossed in seconds.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying it's bad, just not what I had hoped it could have become.

I had hope for a world map that had the same feel and immersion as when in combat, something that offers a great sense of presence and realism that would make for good navigating and attempt at giving us the same challenges that captains faced a few centuries ago when it came to identification of friend or foe when scanning the horizon along with speed management.

I totally agree that some system to prevent having to sail for hours on end to go anywhere has to be implemented, time compression of sorts, but I had hoped for something better than a « simple » world map ala pirate of the burning sea. I never quite liked Potbs for the same reason, that's not what I was after. Sadly Naval action with its world map and instanced combat zones is a glorified Potbs (again, nothing wrong with that), if that's what the devs where hoping then kudos to them, it seems they're right on target, I was hoping for something more immersive though and thought navigating the world would be of the same quality as the pve/pvp combat would.

Maybe it's because the open world map is so incomplete and ships behave like toys, but I just hate the idea of having every action locked behind UI and icons interaction. Maybe the reason is that the instanced combat are so realistic and immersive in comparison to the open world map that feels so much like your usual mmo game. I would have really liked a system like Silent Hunter that give us a real world to navigate, only coupled with a clever time compression system to manage the lengthy routes.

It's as if EuroTruck Simulator 2 would switch to an « Indiana Jones » traveling map view in between cities. It's as if Skyrim had to switch to a mount & blade travelling campaign map to travel in between cities. To me, Naval Action could have been the foundation for a whole new genre, become a classic in PC gaming that would be quoted and taken as an exemple for a decade. Being a glorified Potbs (maybe that's pushing it a bit) I hardly see any originality in it anymore and although the combat still feels incredible I can't see that being enough to  have Naval Action be seen as a master piece and reach the corresponding commercial success. (Hoping I'm wrong).

Edited by Vivoune
  • Like 1

rocket speeding ships that turn on a dime and continents that can be crossed in seconds.

You are either exaggerating, or confused, which both are fine. Ships can't turn on a dime unless they are stopped on the Open World. You can't travel continents in seconds. It takes hours and hours and hours to cross the map and it is only the Caribbean. Only 2 Continents are partially in the game. It takes 1-2 hours to go from Charleston, SC to Cuba.  If you complain about Naval Action's Open World system, I would like to see what you say about AC Black Flag, where you could travel the Caribbean in like 15 minutes, as opposed to several, several hours in Naval Action.

The reason for the instances are in battle every wave, every cannon ball, etc are tracked. Game Labs can't track more than 50 ships plus the waves plus every cannonball in a instance. Some ships have 140 guns, remember.  So battles have to be instanced.

that would make for good navigating

You can use navigation, and that is part of the point you dont have a "you are here marker."

and attempt at giving us the same challenges that captains faced a few centuries ago when it came to identification of friend or foe when scanning the horizon along with speed management.

Fully, 100% agree with this statement.

It's as if Skyrim had to switch to a mount & blade travelling campaign map to travel in between cities.

Naval Action and M&B are similar.  They are both small team indie games.  M&B's combat is better than Skyrim.  Just as Naval Action hits combat right on the head of the nail.  Though to compare the Open World to Mount and Blade's campaign map or PotBS's map is a little deceiving.  The visuals and quality is so much better than either of those map systems.  Though, in the end, they all do function similar.

You're right Yeoman, I didn't mean to say continents but rather whole Islands. I've corrected that before you posted but not after you could quote me. About the ships handling on the world map though I stand my ground, they behave like toys imho and can gain motion, stop and turn incredibly fast compared to the combat instances. Which in the end feels and look silly (for someone that was hoping for more realism that is).

I love M&B I played about a thousand hours of it since it entered Alpha :). I just never realized Naval Action was aiming for a similar system, I always thought, for some reason, that the great experience and mechanics we have in instanced combat was the basis of the game and that the rest of the experience would be built on it, not around it.

Edited by Vivoune
  • Like 1

You're right Yeoman, I didn't mean to say continents but rather whole Islands. I've corrected that before you posted but not after you could quote me. About the ships handling on the world map though I stand my ground, they behave like toys imho and can gain motion, stop and turn incredibly fast compared to the combat instances. Which in the end feels and look silly (for someone that was hoping for more realism that is).

I love M&B I played about a thousand hours of it since it entered Alpha :). I just never realized Naval Action was aiming for a similar system, I always thought, for some reason, that the great experience and mechanics we have in instanced combat was the basis of the game and that the rest of the experience would be built on it, not around it.

We can't have real world sailing because there are people with families and real life and for it to be realistic it would take a week to sail from one end of the map to the other if game labs were to set it to real life realism. Naval action is set to appeal both to the realistic player base and the causal gamers that dont have 8 hrs to spend in a game.  The current system is the medium between the two aka middle ground.