902 members have voted

1. 1. How many characters

• 1 character per account
    • 3 characters as before
  2. 2. Neutrals

• Keep neutrals
    • Remove neutrals

You may as well allow multiple characters per account

Although I can't be certain, it seems that multiple characters are currently allowed per account. I've PM'd the Admin but not received a reply. A moderator has offered that I should be fine deleting an alternate character. It seems that we may be able to have alternate characters on the same account provided they are on different servers. But don't take my word for it. I'm not sure.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/11181-does-pve-and-pvp-carry-over-between/

Although I can't be certain, it seems that multiple characters are currently allowed per account. I've PM'd the Admin but not received a reply. A moderator has offered that I should be fine deleting an alternate character. It seems that we may be able to have alternate characters on the same account provided they are on different servers. But don't take my word for it. I'm not sure.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/11181-does-pve-and-pvp-carry-over-between/

We are allowed multiple characters so long as different servers i think, but thats not the point, anyone can have multiple characters on the same server currently just by using Steam's functionality.  if devs can't prevent people sharing their library then may as well allow multiple characters per account in game.  Alts already exist, and at no cost.

One Steam account one character for a single nation.

If people need to turn the game into EVE, let them pay for it.

I would love to see if a "Spy" is caught, that a harsh punishment is able to be done.

I would love to see The Main Account plus the others deleted.

For right NOW, the game is still in development, and if playing styles about absolute domination by any means possible, well then does the NA community really won't that type of player?

• 2 weeks later...

Why the hell does this thread keep getting bumped when no new comments are made?  I see this thread get bolded at least twice a day, with no changes.

was just going to say this post is old and probably outdated now....keep it in the grave where it belongs...lol

was just going to say this post is old and probably outdated now....keep it in the grave where it belongs...lol

Look at the comment before mine, dated 12 days ago.  Something else is pulling it to the top of the pile.

Does "liking" a comment bump a thread?  If it does that should be changed if possible, or else thread necro trolling is just way too easy.

If one character per account, there should (in my view) be some way of starting all-over-again. I see this game as occupying time for some years, especially if it keeps improving as it seems to be at the moment. Great fun; immersive; realistic. 

People say PotBS died because of multi-account spying, meanwhile EVE Online continues to thrive with multiple accounts and characters per person; there was even that famous incident where a spy managed to bankrupt a rival corporation or something, and the developers CCP ruled it was fair game for that to happen and EVE is still going strong. The question is this: what was the difference between those two games? I don't know. I'm inclined to think EVE's clan management, ranking and permissions system makes its corps a little more resilient, but it could be something else. Whatever it is, Game-Labs should find out.

Restricting the number of characters isn't going to solve spying.  That's short-sighted wishful thinking. Once the game goes gold and the stakes get higher, having one character per account just means we get a pay-to-spy paradigm. Any clan leader that wants his clan to matter is going to have to buy second accounts for himself or his friends to spy with, because any clan or nation that doesn't have spies will have a severe disadvantage.  Trying to fight that is going to mean IP tracking and other paranoia, possibly even DRM, which is going to cause even more grief for families and multi-user residences.

How does CCP make EVE stay successful despite the spying? What tools do they give the player base to help deal with it? There are useful answers there.  Send an email to CCP guys. They've been running a pvp sandbox for years and they seem like a nice bunch.

potbs had similar system and it did not work, people abused it and killed the game. 

it wasnt the xteaming the thing that killed the game. and i was one of those that in 2012 could play in 3 nations in pvp in the same afternoon.

There are a lot of reasons to say why potbs fall down to the undersea, but that is not in the top

People say PotBS died because of multi-account spying, meanwhile EVE Online continues to thrive with multiple accounts and characters per person; there was even that famous incident where a spy managed to bankrupt a rival corporation or something, and the developers CCP ruled it was fair game for that to happen and EVE is still going strong. The question is this: what was the difference between those two games? I don't know. I'm inclined to think EVE's clan management, ranking and permissions system makes its corps a little more resilient, but it could be something else. Whatever it is, Game-Labs should find out.

Restricting the number of characters isn't going to solve spying.  That's short-sighted wishful thinking. Once the game goes gold and the stakes get higher, having one character per account just means we get a pay-to-spy paradigm. Any clan leader that wants his clan to matter is going to have to buy second accounts for himself or his friends to spy with, because any clan or nation that doesn't have spies will have a severe disadvantage.  Trying to fight that is going to mean IP tracking and other paranoia, possibly even DRM, which is going to cause even more grief for families and multi-user residences.

How does CCP make EVE stay successful despite the spying? What tools do they give the player base to help deal with it? There are useful answers there.  Send an email to CCP guys. They've been running a pvp sandbox for years and they seem like a nice bunch.

as i said, xteaming didnt kill the game. And as i didnt say, i used to xteam but only for pvp not for spying.

I dont care about whats going on in other sides, playing with an advantage. and in time you can know the "important" people of other nations, if you dont know yet. and as you say, you can buy another acc to spy. I dont think many people will try to spy. and you can still go to the other nation TS or something. Even an old friend playing in other nation can tell you things on steam about his nation, and comming a lot from potbs is no that hard.

Trying to put walls to the game that wont be usefull is a development waste of time. You can put a chat of CONQUEST that for example you cant read before reach lvl 5. but even in that case i am sure that someone that needs an advantage will lvl up to spy.

1 character is a bit too limiting and prevents dynamic team changing if your team becomes unfun.

However with multiple characters, there needs to be a serious restriction/cooldown on how often you can switch between them.  I think 24-48 hours should be absolute minimum, but would prefer to see something closer to a week

• 2 weeks later...

i had an incident the other day where an alternate accound was abused. i got into a pvp battle that had a Bellona and during the battle i mananged to grape alot of crew down. eventually i got him to the side and finished graping and capturing him. oddly there was a friendly ship that kept shooting ball into him even though it was obvious i was trying to capture, i was worried he would start a fire.

anyway, i managed to capture the bellona and as i started sailng away from it (the battle was not over) , the friendly ship that was shooting  sailed up,rammed the captured ship, and despawned. then he came on chat and said " your new ship will sink now ".

his mistake was not waiting untill i was farther away as i was easily able to turn around and go back and repair it. but had I been away I would have lost it to an alternate account greifer.

so I say 1 character per account, make it expensive to maintain an alternate.

Please bring back the Neutral faction - but do it properly.  A neutral faction is clearly not going to remain neutral if it is attacked by anyone other than Pirates.  That means that Free Towns and Neutral Towns are ass-backwards.  It's the Neutral towns that should not be able to be captured by anybody, and the Free Towns that should be freely capturable.  Neutral towns should be rare and Free Town plentiful (same ratio that exists now, but reversed).  To avoid messy port recapture and unassailable empire building complications, I'd strongly advise that you do not allow Pirates to capture Neutral ports, nor allow the Neutral faction to capture any ports, even though those actions may be conceptually permissible.

Ideally, I would actually prefer to see player free-trading implemented via a "rules of engagement" mechanism rather than a "Neutral faction".  That is, have a different set of rules for trader vessels versus military ones vis-a-vis inter-faction diplomacy, i.e. not just how your faction feels about foreign faction X, but how your faction feels about traders from nation X (free trade/letters of marque/total war) and also how it feels about military ships from nation X; generally (but not necessarily) you would expect more tolerance for the former than the latter.  But of course you really need a diplomacy system first!

While the neutral faction does exist, you must not allow multiple characters per server, because it leads to the situation where everyone has a neutral alt, who exists for the sole purposes of spying and siphoning resources from foreign ports to their primary.

• 2 weeks later...

1 or 3 characters per account doesn't really matter too much.

How many accounts per player? Different nations through multiple accounts?

Those are the key questions. POBS died for a number of reasons,  and if crossteaming becomes so toxic that people just give up and leave, it definitely is a factor. Imagine you actually get your fleet tagged _over and over and over_ as you attempt to RVR by a member of your own nation that keeps hitting AI ships while in the middle of your fleet, making it utterly impossible for you to move even from Jamaica to Cuba within 2 hours.

You'd stop logging in if this became a regular thing, because you have no recourse and the game stops being fun.

This may be an old thread, but it's a current issue.

Also, voting bumps threads.

Edited by Quineloe

• 4 weeks later...