Game-Labs Forum

Pirate Mechanics Vote

985 members have voted

1. 1. Should Pirates be able to capture ports, and if not, should they be able to raid instead?

• Port Capture Only.
    • Raiding Only.
    • No Port Capture or Raids.
  2. 2. Should Pirate crafting exclude 1st Rates (Santisima, Le Océan etc)?

• Yes.
    • No.
  3. 3. Should Pirate crafting exclude 2nd Rates (Pavel etc)?

• Yes.
    • No.
  4. 4. Should Pirate crafting exclude 3rd Rates (Bellona etc)?

• Yes.
    • No.
  5. 5. Should Pirate crafting exclude 4th Rates (Ingermanland etc)?

• Yes.
    • No.
  6. 6. Should Pirate crafting exclude 5th Rates (Frigate, Belle Poule etc)?

• Yes.
    • No.

In one of the posts you proposed to make Santisima a purely spanish ship for example. It is impossible in game because it increases the required amount of content 8x which is extremely expensive and time consuming. Most players are fine with the fact that they can sail this ship and many other vessels, they don't care what you think.

​Could you at least add customization for ships? This will fix all this crying. Let people change their ship and sail colors and you will kill 2 rabbits in one shot. Everyone will pick the color they like and by doing so we will see many different ships in the game (same but different). 

A wonderful suggestion, on PVP1 I have often dreamed of finally putting the word "CABBAGE" on the back of my ship instead of whatever I may be sailing (currently it's a Constitution) 

While this would take away from some amount of realism on ships that were one of a kind or one in a small bunch, it will add to the overall immersion of the game. People LOVE to customize things and a system of customization would be a refreshing step forward. 

Its not misleading at all. Its about age of sail and current prototype is based on the Caribbean map.

Age of sail sandbox is based on what players do with it whether you like it or not.

Also

Don't insult the community - you just called a bunch of grown up men kids. Some would take it as a complement though

You have your own vision in your head we have ours. There are a lot of people who want krakens and magic this game is not for them. Its a realistic age of sail sandbox and we deliver what we promised - beautiful ships and excellent combat and dramatic conquest for map domination where you can even force enemy to retirement. Caribbean is just a map, it could have been another area. If people like you stop whining and start working on making the game better with us, North sea and Mediterranean could happen too tying it all together.

In one of the posts you proposed to make Santisima a purely spanish ship for example. It is impossible in game because it increases the required amount of content 8x which is extremely expensive and time consuming. Most players are fine with the fact that they can sail this ship and many other vessels, they don't care what you think.

We focus on making happy players happier - if player likes what he sees we will improve features for him and he will be happier. We are not interested in converting those who are unhappy with the basic things. Based on what you post here it just seems that your game of the dream is in another castle. 

Your concept of a sandbox game is completely different from most gamers. But that's fine. Your game, your rules. Don't expect everyone who believed your historical claims to accept this betrayal. I'm done. Go on and make your happy players happier. Forget about the many unhappy players who took you at your word from the beginning. I want my money back. Please post procedure for repayment. I have only played for a total of 16 hours in small battles, so don't tell me I have gotten my money's worth. There's nothing here worth playing.

Its not misleading at all. Its about age of sail and current prototype is based on the Caribbean map.

Age of sail sandbox is based on what players do with it whether you like it or not.

Also

Don't insult the community - you just called a bunch of grown up men kids. Some would take it as a complement though

dWWd7RV.jpg

You have your own vision in your head we have ours. There are a lot of people who want krakens and magic this game is not for them. Its a realistic age of sail sandbox and we deliver what we promised - beautiful ships and excellent combat and dramatic conquest for map domination where you can even force enemy to retirement. Caribbean is just a map, it could have been another area. If people like you stop whining and start working on making the game better with us, North sea and Mediterranean could happen too tying it all together.

We focus on making happy players happier - if player likes what he sees we will improve features for him and he will be happier. We are not interested in converting those who are unhappy with the basic things. Based on what you post here it just seems that your game of the dream is in another castle. 

Best Dev Ever.

So many games that could have been majestic and visceral have been turned into mediocre poo by the devs altering the vision to accommodate the entitlement minded.

EVE. POTBS. ULTIMA ONLINE. I could list dozens.

Do not ruin the masterpiece chasing the currency. Create the masterpiece and the currency will chase you.

Edited by Sea Nettle
  • Like 1

I find the option to raid or capture a port should be up to the conquest flag buyer. Hence, buy conquest or raid flag. The question is in which way a raid would benefit individual participants and the nation itself? If you raid a port all goods could be transferred to the shop of the victors' capital and depending on your level of participation during the raid you would get better prices than players which weren't part of the attack? 

Pirates should be able to conquer ports if they're capable of it but making them work exactly like the royal navy or the nation of France is a bit weird IMHO. I'm sure you guys will come up with something smart xD

Edited by ValoWay

Lets put the pirate discussion aside for a second. Because if pirates become outlaws and are limited by certain rules they will just reroll to other nations. Assuming there are no pirates at all, your concerns will still remain. 

Currently it is a Grand Wargame with no limitations - pure sandbox. 

The problem with sandboxes is that there are only one Hero, the rest eventually become his vassals until he dies (leaves the game bored). Then his empire is broken into pieces by others. You are experiencing the rise of the large empire, which depend only on player desire and willingness to fight.

Of course there might be some mechanics that are not working properly or are not finished (port battles BR and quick wins etc) but even if they are fixed the problem with sandbox will still remain - there will be a group of people who will want to rule the world (in our case Caribbean) and will use their resources to dominate others. People will join this group because they want to be a hero as well. 

PS. regarding frigates. frigates are awesome in small group pvp and i know a lot of people who sail them exclusively. They don't care about SOLs.

It is not pure grand wargame sandbox because you have put nations in, but given one nation perks (fight eachother) and strategic advantages (easily switch to pirate nation without losing anything, save resource production buildings).  Make all nations equal and we can have this pure sandbox.

Just make pirates exactly like every nation and let's end this debate already.  Otherwise, long term, we will eventually be all pirates and the game will be ruined.

they are already like other nations just with a few advantages that the actual nations do not have, the pirates should be hard to play, not as easy as it is.

Just make pirates exactly like every nation and let's end this debate already. Otherwise, long term, we will eventually be all pirates and the game will be ruined.

Or remove the pirates as a nation altogether. God forbid they be exactly like every other nation. That option just makes my skin crawl.

Also

dWWd7RV.jpg

perhaps just a little Kraken? now and then? 

pllllleeeesese!

It could be a great way to punish exploiters who don't report the exploit

vqkUg8j.jpg

Edited by mouse of war
  • Like 1

Everybody pissed off about pirates what did you vote for when they prioritized development? There's not even an ecosystem for historical pirates to have a role in right now since most traders are teleporting their goods or sending them through deliveries and if you got hanged upon capture (permadeath) how many would try their hand in it besides me?

Since it is open development and community voting based prioritization then we maybe get pirates after developers are done with adding spyglasses and beautiful dolphins and other immersion elements on OW that seem to be more important and popular demands.

• Like 1

This is my last statement on the "pirate issue".

It has been mentioned by the ADMIN and others that PIRATES decided to unite

and be a NATION, i.e. not attacking each other (which is supported by the system),

instead of fighting it out and therby (somehow) weakening the "nation".

Also, it has been mentioned several times, that the devs+admin did not expect this to happen...

Being a pirate for some time and having followed the Pirate chat

for some time I can witness:

- many, many "fresh" Pirates start playing the way they think it is natural, they instantly attack everything...

(so did I)

- instantly you get "blacklisteded" by big clans, you get bullied (we know your name!), you get trolled

(it took me some effort to get of this list) and you get insulted like...."you should have read the FORUMS

before you chose to be a pirate, then you had known that Pirates are a nation and don´t attack each other...")

Basically, everyone is forced into the playstyle it was preferred by guys who had been here first

and enforced using brutal force. The argument goes always like this..."Do you want all Ports being lost

to the British"? Answer: "I don´t care...", Reply: "Then don´t complain, we kill you, always when we see you..."

Many "newbies" are put off this way, you don´t have any other chance then play by their rules,

otherwise you would not be allowed to do anything as you get instantly attacked moving out

of Mortimer Town, even on a basic cutter.

Why do you choose being a Pirate? You don´t want to imagine being a naval officer,

to follow rules, to sail "in lines" for big battles, to attend "training camps" for PortBattles

being setup by the big clans....you want to sail around and attack players if you feel like it...

anyone. You want to be independent, choosing a risky, short-lived, adventurous life instead

of the "safety" provided by a Naval Officer career. Yes, your life as a true pirate is very short-lived,

as you don´t have any at all...being permanently "tagged" by KOTO leaving Mortimer is simply no fun...

The clan "mafia" (yes, I call it this way) decided to UNITE and not the player base....

Therefore, I conclude, you simply cannot claim that the "Pirates" decided to unite.

(nor did the people of south Italy vote to live under the command of the Italian mafia)

This is my last statement on this issue.

Edited by Wilson09
  • Like 2

I always suggest the madmax 2 concept as being the best way to describe what i want pirates to be in a PVP sense......

Pirates however should get their own version of crafting UPGRADES which only they can use....ie captain nationality locked......this would be things like better grappling lines and better barricades.    also pirates should get a sailor combat stats = marines.  this way they are able to punch above their weight but are encouraged to capture and risk close range combat.

They should also have an assortment of pirate havens  on small islands in areas......they can only recrew in that location.....trade paths should have to cross this area and have some sort of mechanic that encourages pirates to band in small groups and fleet raid the 3rd rate AI trade ships crossing their Haven locations.

have bounties on them too...count the number of ships they capture and times it by 1000g or something.

if non pirates capture a pirate ship we get a bounty but no resources or Upgrades.  this encourages us to capture them and take the risk on a boarding but also encourgaes the use of chain and grape which are sadly under utilised in AI combat.

Edited by Fastidius
  • Like 1

This is my last statement on the "pirate issue".

It has been mentioned by the ADMIN and others that PIRATES decided to unite

and be a NATION, i.e. not attacking each other (which is supported by the system),

instead of fighting it out and therby (somehow) weakening the "nation".

Also, it has been mentioned several times, that the devs+admin did not expect this to happen...

Being a pirate for some time and having followed the Pirate chat

for some time I can witness:

- many, many "fresh" Pirates start playing the way they think it is natural, they instantly attack everything...

(so did I)

- instantly you get "blacklisteded" by big clans, you get bullied (we know your name!), you get trolled

(it took me some effort to get of this list) and you get insulted like...."you should have read the FORUMS

before you chose to be a pirate, then you had known that Pirates are a nation and don´t attack each other...")

Basically, everyone is forced into the playstyle it was preferred by guys who had been here first

and enforced using brutal force. The argument goes always like this..."Do you want all Ports being lost

to the British"? Answer: "I don´t care...", Reply: "Then don´t complain, we kill you, always when we see you..."

Many "newbies" are put off this way, you don´t have any other chance then play by their rules,

otherwise you would not be allowed to do anything as you get instantly attacked moving out

Why do you choose being a Pirate? You don´t want to imagine being a naval officer,

to follow rules, to sail "in lines" for big battles, to attend "training camps" for PortBattles

being setup by the big clans....you want to sail around and attack players if you feel like it...

anyone. You want to be independent, choosing a risky, short-lived, adventurous life instead

of the "safety" provided by a Naval Officer career. Yes, your life as a true pirate is very short-lived,

as you don´t have any at all...being permanently "tagged" by KOTO leaving Mortimer is simply no fun...

The clan "mafia" (yes, I call it this way) decided to UNITE and not the player base....

Therefore, I conclude, you simply cannot claim that the "Pirates" decided to unite.

(nor did the people of south Italy vote to live under the command of the Italian mafia)

This is my last statement on this issue.

shrug Green on Green is mostly irrelevant.  what we are asking for is a different gameplay style.

What? Naval ships captured enemies all the time. In fact, surrendering rather than sinking was the norm.

Or do you mean Nats shouldn't be able to sail ships they capture? That could work if there were a robust Admiralty/TradeCompany function.

Edited by GrapeShot

(so did I)

So...

You started out the game and decided to attack everyone, that's cool i can respect that.

but when you get attacked back because some guys who have made friends black list you because you attack them, so everyone in their friendship group know that you are an aggressive person, you get super upset and consider it not cool?

You cant have it both ways mate, if you murder everyone don't get upset if people murder you back.

• Like 1

Just want to say you need to change the poll for your first question about ports/raiding:

Should Pirates be able to capture ports, and if not, should they be able to raid instead?
  1.  Port Capture Only.
  2.  Raiding Only.
  3.  No Port Capture or Raids.

Where is the option to vote for both port capture and raiding?

As for the other stuff about crafting. If you want to take away the ability of  a nation/faction, what ever you want to call pirates, to craft ships that every other nation can craft and so be able to compete with those other nations, you have to suggest an alternative way for them to do so. Otherwise your just looking for an unfair advantage.

As it is this whole post smacks of sour grapes and "nerf pirates" even though they are fighting by the same rules/mechanics as everyone else. Purely because certain other nations aren't beating them as easy as they would like.

So what if Pirates team up to fight another nation and aren't just fighting amongst themselves? ( though this is not always the case) So what if this isn't "historical". Naval Action is a game not a history book. If players decide to work together to fight a common enemy instead of each other, then that is the players choice and they are doing it, because it's how they want to play and enjoy the game. Trying to get rid of this play style because it makes fighting them harder by removing their ability to match you in a fair fight is not right.

Now that we have production buildings in place we just need to have the Pirates have only SHIPYARD LEVEL 2.

Must capture lager ships.

Cancel Pirate V Pirate gameplay as it gets exploited.

Gold & EXP farming and OW combat avoidance exploit.

Only raid ports 1/week.

Result, Pirates can get Gold & Drops as per normal.

Port production is halted for 48 hrs.

Have ports scattered for pirates, minimal amount. Man made Sanctuaries strategic placed around the map 6, plus one Capital.

Let Pirates have letter of Marquee(LoM) from a nation at creation.

or pay large amount(1 Million) to change, but only once per month.

Also nations players should have LoM as well, but violation will turn into a Pirate and lose 2 Levels.

Having a LoM will allow you to trade and Port into that nation.

Edited by Aussie Pastor
  • Like 1