Game-Labs Forum

Pirate Mechanics Vote

985 members have voted

1. 1. Should Pirates be able to capture ports, and if not, should they be able to raid instead?

• Port Capture Only.
    • Raiding Only.
    • No Port Capture or Raids.
  2. 2. Should Pirate crafting exclude 1st Rates (Santisima, Le Océan etc)?

• Yes.
    • No.
  3. 3. Should Pirate crafting exclude 2nd Rates (Pavel etc)?

• Yes.
    • No.
  4. 4. Should Pirate crafting exclude 3rd Rates (Bellona etc)?

• Yes.
    • No.
  5. 5. Should Pirate crafting exclude 4th Rates (Ingermanland etc)?

• Yes.
    • No.
  6. 6. Should Pirate crafting exclude 5th Rates (Frigate, Belle Poule etc)?

• Yes.
    • No.

I'm all for the pirate restrictions if we get buffs to compensate, Special crafting, battle buffs, etc.

Currently, the pirates have buffs with no disadvantages.  If they are going to be a nation, the buffs need to be balanced out, and any debuffs need to be balanced out with advantages, or removed.

uncapturable pirate ports spread out across the map

no port capping only raiding

crafting everything that can be found in the port store

posibly pirate versions of ships like the pirate frigate

bam pirates just went from a nation to a unpredictable menace that could in theory strike from anywhere at any time

Give us teleport to any of those un-capturable ports with ships (could be the same ports as current Neutral ports) (same cooldown as current teleport), a raid event instead of port battle with unique mechanics

[fight though defender ships (if any) to reach a dock, start loot timer, grab stuff (player warehouses and dock stock) every X seconds like the boarding turns, survive and run away after looting as much as possible for example] 

and watch us roam the seas looking for easy targets and stealing your stuff instead of conquest.

Yar!!!

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

Give us teleport to any of those un-capturable ports with ships (could be the same ports as current Neutral ports) (same cooldown as current teleport), a raid event instead of port battle with unique mechanics

[fight though defender ships (if any) to reach a dock, start loot timer, grab stuff (player warehouses and dock stock) every X seconds like the boarding turns, survive and run away after looting as much as possible for example] 

and watch us roam the seas looking for easy targets and stealing your stuff instead of conquest.

Yar!!!

exactly as pirates should be

A pirate or group of pirates should be able to captrue any ship.  Should be able to only recaptrue ports they have lost, or only nutreals to give them a base in areas. I also thing ships of the line should be limited for all factions. That might help incurage people to capture ships of the line but all factions. One thing I would hate to see is every one sailing around in a 1st rate

The question really is , do you want to play in a Caribbean akin to the golden age of Piracy or one where the pirate have been hunted to the ends of the earth , like by the early 1800s where over 200 British ships alone patrolled those waters, Because if you dont want the pirates, just get rid of us from the game,, dont make it impossible to play  so you can claim some victory over the pirates,,

I don't support normal port capture rules for pirates. I would like to see pirates able to capture any ports contested within x period of RL days, this would encourage pirates to appear where nations are battling one another over ports. As a debuff they would not be able to capture any port besides those which fulfill that requirement or which were originally pirate ports. as a buff to them they have 2-3x timer on delivering flags to targets making them a more long range force. If a port was captured by pirates they have 2x time of time to recapture compared to a national contested port.

So in this example USA captures Matanzas from spain, contested starts, ends at downtime, for 4 days pirates may attack this port.

Pirates attack the port, but lose it next day. Pirates now have 8 days to reclaim that port.

nahh... think you need to read up on the game mate..  there is a reason "pirates" have (Very-Hard)  there has not been implantet anything nation stats..  all are equal atm, so they gonna change that.

Swedes starting with one port - Impossible

Pirates 6 or 7 ports - Very hard

Lets say Brits starts with tons of ports - Very Easy

Your starting window does not lie.

If pirates or Swedes managed to take more and more ports.. it means poor strategy for others thats all.

Quantity has a quality all its own. Strategy doesn't necessarily mean anything if you have the numbers to overpower smaller nations. Pirates are very near #1 population. And every time a nation is defeated, large amounts of players turn pirates. If pirates want a game in which everyone, or the majority of the people are pirates, continue with your current mindset, but it will mean the ruin of Naval Action.

• Like 4

Well i should ask 2 questions than Prater.

How come in PvP 2 server pirates have just a few ports.

And how would you propose to limit giant nations like USA and GB if we want balance?

I see your point about other nations turning to pirates eventually and i completely agree that this is wrong.

But maybe we shouldn't try to change pirate game play but change other nations instead? 

Change current system of port battle windows and how easy it can be abused just so we can protect one or another nation being wiped from the map?

Somehow i don't want to agree that all this is pirate fault.

So far pirates didn't wipe any nation.

I would almost be willing to suggest that Pirates be subscription-based only

Not that it would ever happen.

I would almost be willing to suggest that people with an orange "leninade" avatar image be required to pay double for the base game.

Both make the same amount of sense. 

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

No, I'm not saying that is the fault of the pirates. But it is still something that has to be fixed, and I am sure it can be done without it disadvantaging pirates.

I believe it was hundreds suggestions how they could change pirate game play without disadvantaging them.

So far none of them been accepted by admins.

Myself i would really like to see pirates raiding ports in small groups and small ships. I hate big fleets and line battles.

I could agree with pirates not crafting rates because they wouldn't need those. But than pirates must be the only ones who can capture ships, use  and/or  'refit' them.

I also agree that pirate always would have a chance turn back to ' legal ' life.

But i see these talks and the only response from admins that i can recall so far ( sorry it won't be exact words) : It is other nations that allowed to spread and grow for pirate NATION.

I could find this post if anyone would ask for it. 

So i think as long as Devs thinks that everything works fine nobody will change anything.

So i think as long as Devs thinks that everything works fine nobody will change anything.

How many of these threads are active in one form or another now?

That's a pretty good indication "something" should be done.  

Otherwise the devs should just re-name every nation to a color rather than country, and let it be a "Risk" like free for all. As colors instead of nations there would only be emotional attachment to events and your guild friends.  Whomever could then call themselves "Pirates of color X" and play like pirates or whatever.

There is a very good reason (population and popularity) that US,GB and pirates are the largest populations on all servers.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken
  • Like 1

I agree to BLACKIE and his suggestions.

Playing PIRATES is hugely frustrating as I personally feel "NERFED" in the sense that I cannot play as a true pirate.

How can the devs can create such an amazing battle machine and fail to launch a true game in the open world?

MY BEAUTIFULLY crafted PRIVATEER is of no use, and thats the reason the game is already "nerfed" for me....

I am reluctant to sail anything beyond Frigate, and right now the game forces me to GRIND only for a 3rd rate....

For me, the GAME is OVER, as simple as that.

And yes, replying to this guy ("I will deinstall the game if I cannot craft a 3rd rate", for sure, I deinstall the game if I CAN do so....)

The game will be taken over by the kids and, of course, kids WANT IT ALL and NOW and for everone.

The MARKET forces the devs to remain the game this way and they will introduce more bullshit to the game (as PREMIUM SHPIS later on).

Just imagining they introduce the Ingermanland (Russian) into the Carribean makes me .......uahaha.....

Well, there is no FEEL to the play as a Pirate as there is no FEEL to be British or Dutch in particualr.

Why not restrict the nations to their original ships?

And here is the answer....the market forces them to open up the game for ALL, anyone wants it all and unlimited at every time....thats the main reason why

there will be no sophisticated gaming experience.

It is just the area of sandbox and WoW-gaming and not of historical-realistic naval action.

It is a shame, but I personally found pleasure in watching all documentary films on Pirates and the age of sails while

brainlessly sailing for hours with no interaction or fear getting caught......

Despite, the 37 Euro was well spent for the odd experience (I did not know that the Danish and Swedish had colonies !),

I put the game to bed and will have a look at it in 1 years time.....

• Like 3

I agree to BLACKIE and his suggestions.

Playing PIRATES is hugely frustrating as I personally feel "NERFED" in the sense that I cannot play as a true pirate.

How can the devs can create such an amazing battle machine and fail to launch a true game in the open world?

MY BEAUTIFULLY crafted PRIVATEER is of no use, and thats the reason the game is already "nerfed" for me....

I am reluctant to sail anything beyond Frigate, and right now the game forces me to GRIND only for a 3rd rate....

For me, the GAME is OVER, as simple as that.

And yes, replying to this guy ("I will deinstall the game if I cannot craft a 3rd rate", for sure, I deinstall the game if I CAN do so....)

The game will be taken over by the kids and, of course, kids WANT IT ALL and NOW and for everone.

The MARKET forces the devs to remain the game this way and they will introduce more bullshit to the game (as PREMIUM SHPIS later on).

Just imagining they introduce the Ingermanland (Russian) into the Carribean makes me .......uahaha.....

Well, there is no FEEL to the play as a Pirate as there is no FEEL to be British or Dutch in particualr.

Why not restrict the nations to their original ships?

And here is the answer....the market forces them to open up the game for ALL, anyone wants it all and unlimited at every time....thats the main reason why

there will be no sophisticated gaming experience.

It is just the area of sandbox and WoW-gaming and not of historical-realistic naval action.

It is a shame, but I personally found pleasure in watching all documentary films on Pirates and the age of sails while

brainlessly sailing for hours with no interaction or fear getting caught......

Despite, the 37 Euro was well spent for the odd experience (I did not know that the Danish and Swedish had colonies !),

I put the game to bed and will have a look at it in 1 years time.....

It is a shame that you are going to leave now mate.

But if you will read this tomorrow (which i doubt seeing you have just 5 posts and just 2 days old in forums) i must say that we have all tools to play pirates as you like.

Nobody and i really mean nobody can make you sail 3rd rate. You don't have to take part in any politics or port battles.

You can sail solo or in small pirate group and attack even bigger ships then yours and succeed ( if anyone will want i can show the proof of it :) )

Your group can be hired to stop progressing one or another clan/nation/captain. Shame this has to be done by just trusting each other .. hope it will be implemented in game later.

So you can play how ever you want and enjoy this game.

All i can say for those who keeps saying that this game sucks because there is no pirating .. IT IS ALL UP TO YOU.

Well, sounds nice....

But, honestly. Having listened to 2 big German clans in the "pirate nation" and joined one...it is all about XP fleeting and grinding

and getting stronger for Port Battles.

This "grind" is the driving force and motivation of all players. Nothing wrong about that...

The PRIVATEER is a fantastic pirate ship, but do you honestly believe anyone would join me to go to BRITISH waters

to get sunk by gangbanging Frigates?

Nope. Not being able to master the Privateer/Snow and small group fighting in these ships, all are driven to get BIG and strong in RANK.

It is a shame, but why should I craft another exceptional Privateer to get speed instead of stiffness, as it is of no use?

Remembering, the clan leader was laughing at me when I said, I am going to hunt Danish Trade ships in my Privateer,

as truly only size 3rd rate count in this game.

I am relucant to join the grind and even the TRINC is far too big for my Pirate feel.

I just dont like it.

And another downside of having launched Pirates as a nation whilst allowing them to attack each other is that you get abused

and hunted down by the big clans if you do so.

(comment: There are always "a***" who dont play for the common cause, the Pirate nation...")

No, I cannot play the game I want to.

I´d mean every time I left Mortimer town, KOTO and others would kill me.

Having experienced that, I stopped looking for other Pirates.

Okay, then get an outpost in Dutch waters. Ah, someone want to join me? Nope.

Having done that, how long will you make it before they hunt you down?

Okay, we need 10 Privateers and some Snow.

Never ever would I be able to get a group of players doing such business.

Let´see, if they manage to make a GAME out of this.

Honestly, I do believe It is too late to turn the wheel back.

You simply cannot take away the big toy from the kids.

The grind needs to be there and this can only be fed in the future with adding more ships players want to have...

At least it will take a year to have a game.

I remain sceptical.

W.

• Like 1

They say youth is wasted on the young. I might add that history is also wasted on the young who for the most part have no real sense of history any more because it is no longer taught in schools. All you get is what your government wants you to hear, and that for the most part is scary or boring. You never learn actual history that has much to teach. For those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat.

As it stands now, this game is an accurate historical sailing simulation with Disney game play, which has been pointed out by others. World of Tanks and World of Warships and World of Warplanes are all perfect examples. Successful because they pander to the lowest common denominator, those who don't know history and don't care. Just give me the big guns and watch me blow stuff up. The only thing to learn here is the biggest ship wins. The largest clan wins. Power is everything. Which of course isn't true at all.

The only way many of the naval officers and pirates can play is in PvP battles or single player. And it's a shame really because a true historical simulation could be enjoyed by all, and we would all learn something that can be carried over into real life. The truth is losing teaches far more lessons than winning. But there are so many other factors involved. Like bravery, comradery, brothers in arms, teamwork, tactics, strategy, and never giving up.

A battle is never the end all to any war. You have to have a reason to fight. If it's just give me the biggest ship and the biggest guns and let's see who's the best, that gets boring real fast. Why have a huge open world game where you can go anywhere and do anything in an RPG environment, and all you do is look for weaker players to destroy? What's the point? What have you accomplished? To be the biggest dog in the yard for an hour?

Wouldn't it be far more fun to have nations in the game with historically accurate ships, unique abilities, and played completely different than other nations with different goals and interests? Wouldn't be far more fun to feel like you belonged to that nation and roleplay a captain living as they did in the age of sail with the same concerns, worries, and missions? And to be able to play as different nations to have a completely different game experience? Why not add treasure hunting, expand trading, introduce exploration and discoveries, include a whole variety of faction specific missions, and create character development to advance in naval ranks with perks and rewards. There is so much that can be done to enhance gameplay in an historically accurate simulation that is far and away better than any power makes right, biggest gun wins arcade game.

If you just want to feel like you are superman you can always play in the quick battles using the biggest ships any time you want. Why completely turn this game into a World of Warships grind just for the sake of low expectations. Come on people. Expand your minds, expand your horizons. Grow up for heaven's sake.

• Like 3

Wouldn't it be far more fun to have nations in the game with historically accurate ships, unique abilities, and played completely different than other nations with different goals and interests? Wouldn't be far more fun to feel like you belonged to that nation and roleplay a captain living as they did in the age of sail with the same concerns, worries, and missions? 

No, and no.

On item one. Do you have any clue just how much effort ($$$$) it would take take to have 9 different nations accurately portrayed?  I mean they can't even work on raid mechanics or changes to port capture for at least a year according to Admin, and ships don't enter the game every day either, and now you want them to make and restrict players to, essentially 9 different groups?  Sorry, but I'm old enough and have enough development experience to know that game would never get finished unless they had funding like Star Citizen has.

On item two.  Who makes these missions, or decides the course of that national agenda?  Another player? What makes him/her so special as to be elevated to such a lofty role as to dictate the direction of national interest?

A game with an agenda like that needs to be single player, with some friend Co-Op.  Now if NA allowed someone to pay for and host a server, and that person developed a story line and such for, and players decided for themselves if they wanted to play part in a story someone else controlled, that would be one thing, but to force that on everyone else who is expecting a sand box, not gonna happen, because if it did the game would be too niche, and simply die.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

[Too long to repeat]

I'm not talking about extensive storytelling, mission development, or detailed events requiring thousands of hours of labor. And I don't mean forcing people to play according to some agenda some dictator creates. I'm talking about historical context. I'm not advocating for some one to manufacture an agenda, but to use the real historical situations of each nation to set unique abilities, missions, ships, and interesting things to do. An open world historical wooden ship game set in the Caribbean should have only those nations who actually had interests there. And those interests varied from nation to nation. What you have now is a huge game world with nothing to do except fight battles. There are no differences between nations, the missions are so generic that they get boring real fast, and it really doesn't matter which faction you play for. The only thing that matters at this point is who has the most players and who has the biggest ships and the biggest guns. This can hardly be called a sandbox. There is literally no variety, no depth, no immersion, no roleplaying, no fun.

In fact the only real setting you have is the Caribbean with a few historical nations and some added non-historical nations who never had any presence there. And there certainly was no pirate nation. This is a fantasy game with everyone grinding along to build first rates for bragging rights. This is as bad as any arcade game ever made. You might as well play Pong. It's the same game. Shoot at one another until someone wins. Doesn't prove anything. Doesn't make any difference in who you are as a person.

This is an arcade game which only appeals to kids who thinks it's cool to blow stuff up. The game of the week crowd who will be bored to death as soon as the next big arcade game is released and they will disappear. Because these type of World of Tank games don't hold their customers' interests for long. They end up holding one special event after another just to keep people coming back. Which only works for so long and then they die out.

As far as the niche games comment, Total War games are hardly niche games. They are wildly successful because they are historical and provide true roleplaying and war gaming depth. There are numerous other games as well set in history or near historical settings like Mount & Blade games, various Medieval games, and others. Why spend countless hours creating a fantasy game when it's far easier to just apply a little history and make something really special? The devs here have done their research in order to reproduce the ships and the Caribbean in as much detail as possible. And yet they stop short of a true historical simulation and give us sailing ship deathmatches. O' Boy, another multiplayer run and gun game for the short attention span generation. Just what we need.

• Like 2

>>Wouldn't it be far more fun to have nations in the game with historically accurate ships, unique abilities, and played completely different than other nations with different goals and interests? Wouldn't be far >>more fun to feel like you belonged to that nation and roleplay a captain living as they did in the age of sail with the same concerns, worries, and missions? And to be able to play as different nations to >>have a completely different game experience?

Yeah, Blackie my man !

But...maybe we need just accept what the market for PC games gives you. They need to follow this way as they need to penetrate the market. The ideal situation....

1. a real game in the Golden Age of Pirates

would exclude Russians and also Americans. No Ingermanland 3rd rate or St. Pavel and no American Constitution.

Of course, living in an ideal world, the Devs could have 3 games

1. real Golden Age of Pirates (with Spanish Galleons and so on)

2. later Carribean setting (covering US market)

3. North-Sea Baltic encounter (covering German/Russian/Scand./UK market)

As far as I know, they were thinking of...

I can remember when they launched Total War Arena, I was hugely dissapointed to see Leonidas fight next with Ceasr in one battle group.

Later on, Arminius alongside the Romans....ah ! Imagine, a TW title !

Basically, the majority of players don´t care about history, as long as it´s fun.

The RvR concept never really lasted for long as far as I know (Dark Age of Camelot, Warhammer...), it is repetitive and can basically only be kept alive with further

loot incentives (or rewards like titles...).

Also the subscription model failed.

So, there will be either Premium ships or a cash shop providing the much wanted costumizing features for the guilds/clans.

As far as learned from the posts, the majority of sailors are quite happy with "new" ships,

no matter if they fit into the game historically. As long as they are special...

It is as it is and you cannot change it. What I learned from over 20 years of PC-gaming is....stay away from any kind of MMO games,

you will either end up being braindead or....well.

Having said this, I am tired of being insulted by players over the chat (I cannot mute), sailing off with my nearly dead Frigate to a Trinc ("coward"')

or players find pleasure in trolling of any kind. Just wasting my time....cannot remember when I last had an even PvP-battle....

Basically, the most seem to find great pleasure in humiliationg others and pretend to be a great Admiral.

Those "armchair-generals" are the majority of player I suppose.

Just think of the grind for being able to attend Port Battles. 3rds and upwards.

Rest stay outside and do something for a so called "pirate nation".

Those hugely addicted armchair-generals spend 12+ hours in the game every day or played it since 1 year to give them the

advantage to lead the clans.

The only thing I am interested in is, when will this kind of grind come to an end?

All on Santissimas/Victories and then?

Dont expect any sort of "content" in an MMO.

If you want content design your own boardgame or play an existing one.

Just only the amount of time you put into this game to sail from A to B is...I tested it today....just went my odd trading route to pick up demanded goods,

all the way back. 2,5 hours. And I did it over the last 2 weeks, every day.

Actually, there is nothing else to do in the game, as I am reluctant to keep grinding XP (so called XP fleeten) for the next higher ship.

It is the USS Constitution and here my Pirate career must stop. Size and the late construction time of this ship simply does not fit into

my head. Not working with a Pirate life. Fantasy.

So, what else to do? Collect millions over trading? Hm...what for? Repetitive, boring...

No, put the game to bed and lets see what they bring in over the next couple of years....

In the meantime, I bought Sid Meiers Pirates over Steam, and yes, it is a good game.

I played it as a school boy.

Good game, which gives me some Pirate feel I am missing here. Worth every penny...

there it makes sense to stick to the sloop/Brige-Pirate ship, less Crew, less Gold to share

with as a captain.

In Naval Action, I am about to own production buildings, ups??

I want a tavern...and renegades...

Cheers.

Edited by Wilson09
  • Like 1

I think Pirates should be exactly that, rats, a pain in the back side of the nations, railing and plundering, yarring etc. They should have safe havens, secret until discovered certainly not visible to the nations to begin with. They should be able to raid a port and leave with the loot, craft, perhaps more agile, larger crew and specialist ships to suit their purpose.

They shouldn't have the resources available to craft 1/2 rates, nor the inclination to do so but capturing and enhancing capped ships would be an option. 

Right now they are a nation with a navy. I see no difference in being a pirate over the other nations other than to adopt one of the popular pirate names with a number after it.

Aye Albert

Edited by Albert
  • Like 1

In case y'all missed this from the other thread.  (Only posting because the topic keeps driving around in circles, with the "pirates shouldn't build big boats" or "Pirates shouldn't capture ports") 

We focus on important things and important things are determined by the community. 

Current priorities list (voted by players) will not let us focus on anything related to pirates for quite some time. 

Shouting about lack of attention to this topic is wrong and will only lead to ruined relationships of the dev team with those players.

Some are even threatening to leave the game which for us means complete lack of understanding of what this community voted for to be done first (+ also means that pirates won  ;))

Regarding pirates

First will address the port capture

Lack of port capture is not going to make pirate gameplay interesting. Henry Morgan captured a lot of towns using his own forces (at some point he had 1400 infantry under his command - all buccaneers), if henry morgan could do it (he had funds and could hire people on the promise of riches) then any JackSparrow111 could do it too if he has enough funds and friends. But you can try to persuade us to the contrary.

Current mechanics were explained in detail to mods and those who asked.

The difference with the pirate mental model is strong for several reasons. 

Reason 1: Current war mechanics.

• Pirates can attack each other.
  • But everyone else can also attack each other.
  • Because you can attack anyone anyway -
  • pirate is no different from the dutch because he can freely engage anyone
  • Because of this the line between nations (who can be at peace) and pirates (who are always attackable) is blurred from the national player point of view
  • But you miss one thing - pirate is not safe from his friends (explained in detail in reason 4.)

Reason 2: Sandbox goals

In a sandbox everyone has access to same tools and can use them the way they want.

Some players want pirates to have to extremely limited tools hoping their gameplay will become a lot more interesting as a result. For some reason many of those players are not pirates. Two proposals are common: lack of port capture (in reality pirates did capture towns) and lack of ability to sail first rates (in reality pirates did not need first rates because their goal was to steal enough money to retire)

In the sandbox getting enough money is easy and if you don't want to retire you create new goals for yourself and retiring is not one of them. Because its a sandbox you cannot really control those goals.

Reason 3. No war/peace cycle

If peace/war could cycle could happen between nations then pirates would be a main target (because criminals) during peace times - or used as harassing force against nations you are at peace with. Original thought was this - players who are interested lots of pvp opportunities join pirates because they attack each other (lots of PvP). But player base use the tools provided the way they want. And pirates decided to unite. 

Reason 4. Unity

Those who comment on the lack of difference do not understand the strong unity that exist in the pirate nation. You can attack and sink ANY Pirate with no consequence. You see a beautiful ship you don't have; you attack it and take it. Pirate towns are not safe (unlike british coasts). Pirates can sink you if you are a pirate and steal everything. But Pirates DONT attack each other because of the unity, because thats what they chose to believe. 

Reason 5. Disney and books

It is tied to goals players set for themselves. But disney/historical pirates are very hard to replicate in a sandbox environment. Because

Disney pirate - robs 3 player snows filled with gold and retires.

Sandbox pirate - robs 3 player snows filled with gold and buys a 3rd rate.

Rob enough players and you have a fleet of 25 third rates. 

In summary

Players proposing "I was hoping pirates were interesting" should offer things that will make pirates interesting. 

People play historical sandboxes because they want to change history, because they want to conquer the world as Albania in EU4 or conquer germany as poland 1938 in Hearts of Iron. But because its multiplayer you can stop them.

Pushing the game from sandbox into themepark will affect nations more than pirates.

This I think is the most salient line in the post.

"In a sandbox everyone has access to same tools and can use them the way they want."

If we want pirates to be more pirate like, we need mechanics that CAN be used by any nation, but WILL be more favored by those who want to be pirates.

I don't think stripping any ability or access is on the table.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken