Game-Labs Forum

Pirate Mechanics Vote

985 members have voted

1. 1. Should Pirates be able to capture ports, and if not, should they be able to raid instead?

• Port Capture Only.
    • Raiding Only.
    • No Port Capture or Raids.
  2. 2. Should Pirate crafting exclude 1st Rates (Santisima, Le Océan etc)?

• Yes.
    • No.
  3. 3. Should Pirate crafting exclude 2nd Rates (Pavel etc)?

• Yes.
    • No.
  4. 4. Should Pirate crafting exclude 3rd Rates (Bellona etc)?

• Yes.
    • No.
  5. 5. Should Pirate crafting exclude 4th Rates (Ingermanland etc)?

• Yes.
    • No.
  6. 6. Should Pirate crafting exclude 5th Rates (Frigate, Belle Poule etc)?

• Yes.
    • No.

Pure and simply, pirate mechanics need a hard "nerf". On PvP2 (NA), there are far too many pirates and it's nearly futile to fight them. Just lost another entire clan to pirates, and it won't surprise me if the pirates slowly take over the entire map from here. 

Why do you ask such a thing?  

They will bring up the "pirates can attack each other to avoid combat" and the "Green on green turns you pirate without asset loss".

Those are not nearly as powerful as they make out, but trying to address the real culture issues of, "I want to be Jack Sparrow, Yar!" and "Lets join the winning team because winning is fun" is harder than simply blaming, finger pointing and making rather childish comments about capital punishment for wanting to play a game.

But what can you expect from someone who's angry that they are losing, when the game is supposed to be about winning and losing to begin with?

EDIT: BTW, I would be fine if pirates were incorporated into other nations as a mechanic and play style available to any nation.  I enjoy attacking trader ships, both AI and player, so as long as I can disrupt somebody I'm happy.

Pure and simply, pirate mechanics need a hard "nerf". On PvP2 (NA), there are far too many pirates and it's nearly futile to fight them. Just lost another entire clan to pirates, and it won't surprise me if the pirates slowly take over the entire map from here.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/14574-curing-the-black-plague-bug/

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/15472-pirate-pirate-free-for-all-battles/

We actually found two things. ;)

As for joining the winning team, embrace it and see what happens.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/15638-development-plans-for-conquest-mechanics-rvr/?p=292937

The lets-abandon-ship while it is sinking is entrained deeply within us I'm afraid. :P

With all the defectors to Pirate now they shouldn't be able to make any thing above 3rd rate at all. Third rate is iffy as they wouldn't have these ships in fact they should just be banned from a shipyard higher then rank 2. They can steal anything bigger easy. But right now I saw guys who were well established rank and shipbuilding wise pick up and move mass amounts of goods to a free city then go pirate able to make some impressive ships for their now pirate clan. Day after they did that there was first rate and many other high end ships camping there formal capital. They don't even need the mats you just do well in your first nation stock pile then move them and bam they got the coin and mats to make high end ships on demand for their fleet to camp capitals and do deep water port battles. It's crazy I get the idea of them owning shallow it make sense, but deep water shouldn't even be attack-able by pirates. And those patrols should attack them so they actually back off they can drive right into capital regions and wave to the patrols as they pass them.

Their needs to be some kind of penalty because right now you high rank and bored you can just take a day off on the weekdays and move all your goods to a neutral port, defect then set up your business in pirate territory if you even need to get resources anymore at all. Mean while I am not mid level can barely use a cerb as of last night, and I can't even run missions now, I could try to move away from the capital but it use to be heavy traffic hub and suicide to camp because there was a lot of big clans moving around it, now its just lowbies hanging out there ever one else moved away, or defected. I invested all my coin into what I thought would be a safe area so I could save up then move out, but now ctown is the mos unsafe place on the map. And they don't lose nothing really I spend all my coin and labor building one ship and get sunk 2 times in a single day make almost no money, and its just aggravating by time I make more coin I have to build a new ship, and I can't even haul goods to build a new one, not because they will steal it they don't need it at all, at least that is what they boasted few times i was attacked and they tried to sink not board me. Its just aggravating I got dismantle every thing and move or go pirate, because pirate defectors got huge thing for camping their former nation and non high levels.

I mean come people compared this to eve and what not, but in even I can retreat back to high sec till I am ready for the no holds bar pvp, but in this I just roll the dice and see if the pirates are bored enough to camp today, then do another roll see if the people in my own nation will come out to defend their capital with out being payed to..

Edited by Zalzany

Judging by the comments in this thread, and elsewhere on forums and the results of the poll its a safe bet there's a lot of players who just want an easy leg up in PVP and have gotten ganked/are upset about it

Pirates tend to be the PVP faction...nationals on both  pvp servers are constantly "trading" ports to one another and it gets boring and annoying very quickly. While pirates tend to be more aggressive lot.

There's no legitimate reason to make pirates unable to craft X-rate of ships after they level their crafting up like everyone else has to. And please don't try and bring up "its historical" if you want to make that argument then nationals should only be allowed to have a very low number of 1st and 2nd rates in their fleets as well. The Royal Navy for example in all its iterations from  1660's to 1840s and on only had  roughly ~8 1st rate ships total in its fleet and roughly another ~8 2nd rates at any given time. 

With all the defectors to Pirate now they shouldn't be able to make any thing above 3rd rate at all. Third rate is iffy as they wouldn't have these ships in fact they should just be banned from a shipyard higher then rank 2. They can steal anything bigger easy. But right now I saw guys who were well established rank and shipbuilding wise pick up and move mass amounts of goods to a free city then go pirate able to make some impressive ships for their now pirate clan. Day after they did that there was first rate and many other high end ships camping there formal capital. They don't even need the mats you just do well in your first nation stock pile then move them and bam they got the coin and mats to make high end ships on demand for their fleet to camp capitals and do deep water port battles. It's crazy I get the idea of them owning shallow it make sense, but deep water shouldn't even be attack-able by pirates. And those patrols should attack them so they actually back off they can drive right into capital regions and wave to the patrols as they pass them.

Their needs to be some kind of penalty because right now you high rank and bored you can just take a day off on the weekdays and move all your goods to a neutral port, defect then set up your business in pirate territory if you even need to get resources anymore at all. Mean while I am not mid level can barely use a cerb as of last night, and I can't even run missions now, I could try to move away from the capital but it use to be heavy traffic hub and suicide to camp because there was a lot of big clans moving around it, now its just lowbies hanging out there ever one else moved away, or defected. I invested all my coin into what I thought would be a safe area so I could save up then move out, but now ctown is the mos unsafe place on the map. And they don't lose nothing really I spend all my coin and labor building one ship and get sunk 2 times in a single day make almost no money, and its just aggravating by time I make more coin I have to build a new ship, and I can't even haul goods to build a new one, not because they will steal it they don't need it at all, at least that is what they boasted few times i was attacked and they tried to sink not board me. Its just aggravating I got dismantle every thing and move or go pirate, because pirate defectors got huge thing for camping their former nation and non high levels.

I mean come people compared this to eve and what not, but in even I can retreat back to high sec till I am ready for the no holds bar pvp, but in this I just roll the dice and see if the pirates are bored enough to camp today, then do another roll see if the people in my own nation will come out to defend their capital with out being payed to..

TLDR "I got ganked some and now I want pirates nerf'd please"

Switching from nat to pirate cost me roughly 6 million gold moving everything, setting up new outposts, making new buildings and in ships lost so unless blowing a ton of money isnt a penalty then IDK what else would be. Also its not the pirates fault your nationals are too lazy to defend their own capital from being camped. 

Edited by Sickerthansars
  • Like 1

Seeing as I play on pvp2...the USA has the overwhelming majority of the players on that server. The reason you guys lose ports all the time is because 1st of all, you hardly ever show up, pirates took 5 ports last night almost 200 ppl on, only 1 of those ports was even defended and even then only 4 USA players showed up. The pirates were capping ports with 3 people...however there were enough people on to get 12 people waiting to attack a pirate group sailing around sunbury...

All the while USA national chat was "Don't worry about it its just the bahamas" and "Its no where near us so who cares"

2ndly when USA on pvp2 DOES actually show up. Your guys strategy in a port battle is to huddle near a mortar brig at the deployment zone of battle, and hope it takes out a tower...then when it got sunk half your fleet escaped battle before the pirates even engaged them. 

Dont come here crying that pirates need a nerf etc etc when stuff like the above is going on/making you lose.

Edited by Sickerthansars

Kind of fun to see the nationals still not interested in Balance bit in nerfing the pirates to death. The most ideas will leid to noone is playing rat anymore cause the nation players got a i win Button.

If you want to make pirates different you have make them unbeatable in some points like OS and battle speed, but all u guys are looking for cheap targets. This is rediculous.

• Like 1

Kind of fun to see the nationals still not interested in Balance bit in nerfing the pirates to death. The most ideas will leid to noone is playing rat anymore cause the nation players got a i win Button.

If you want to make pirates different you have make them unbeatable in some points like OS and battle speed, but all u guys are looking for cheap targets. This is rediculous.

And this is exactly the type of response people make when they haven't read through even the first page, let alone the thread.

For your reference, a post made by the OP that got lost in a dodgy thread merger...

The post I made was intentionally done in such a way that it did not include mechanics in the original post, as the mechanics are something that could be discussed until the cows come home. With that said, a reasonable "positive" to the so called "negative" would be that when a pirate captures a ship they can "overhaul" it using crafting to make a pirate like vessel (such as an increase in speed, crew, different cannons, perhaps even a boarding bonus). In addition, let's say a Pirate captures a 3rd rate. With the overhaul it would turn the 1 durability captured 3rd rate in to a 3 durability crafted pirate 3rd rate. Why this process? It adds a new element to the game. Pirates would have to capture the larger ships, while retaining the ability to craft say up to a Frigate. Yes, they may still be at a disadvantage, however combined with the inability to capture ports, only raid, it gives them a constant assurance that the ports they use can never be captured or overturned (being free towns).

Pirates and Neutrals should be the unique classes of the game, more difficult to play than the others, as they are not part of a nation. I would say that "Pirate Rigged" ships would certainly close that gap while retaining a balance.

And this is exactly the type of response people make when they haven't read through even the first page, let alone the thread.

For your reference, a post made by the OP that got lost in a dodgy thread merger...

again, there's no legitamte reason to limit pirate ship availability apart from people who got ganked being sore about it and wanting a leg up. The posts by nat players in this thread only serve to confirm this.

How should a pirate maintain a SOL? He would have to capture a spanish treasure ship every month. Yeah that sounds reasonable. A pirate/privateer life is all about profit. And there is no profit in maintaining a SOL.

How should a pirate maintain a SOL? He would have to capture a spanish treasure ship every month. Yeah that sounds reasonable. A pirate/privateer life is all about profit. And there is no profit in maintaining a SOL.

So you're going to continue with the "historical accuracy argument" despite how dumb it is Ill humor it because im hopefull you might actually see how stupid this idea really is.

By your same argument, USA will only be able to have 4 1st rates total , UK 8-10 France will have ~4-6 and Spain the same as France and everyone else will have roughly 2-3 since thats all those countries could ever afford to field at one time. The majority of you will have to play in 5th rates or lower since youll only get about 20 or so 2nd,3rd and 4th rates if your in the royal navy, while Spain and France will get about 10-13 each Enjoy figuring out who gets the privilege of sailing the big boats while the rest of you are stuck in frigates with your lvl 50 crafting.

Edited by Sickerthansars

When Open World was introduced I chose to play as pirate. I played as pirate up to the last major wipe and then decided to try another nation. It was then that I realized that the only difference between pirate and any other nation was the flag that was flown. 

For the life of me I don't understand why any Naval Action player wouldn't want pirate gameplay to be a truly unique gaming experience from playing as any other nation, especially since all players have the choice to play as a member any of the other nation's. and the benefits that come with that choice.

There have been some great ideas presented here; Giving pirates multiple outposts around the map that can't be captured; Giving them the ability to refit captured ships of all rates to pirate standards plus giving the captured ship multiple dura. The trade off being that they are limited to 5th or 4th rate ship production.

In my opinion the game would be stronger with one and only one truly outlaw faction. Not different in every way but different enough to make them fun and challenging apart from every other nation. And keep in mind that it's each players individual choice to play as this faction. If the rules for playing this faction don't fit their gameplay style then there is every other nation to choose from

I suppose there are some folks who are just being anti-Pirate for the sake of it, which throws the signal to noise ratio off a hair.

However, the Pirate faction does need an overhaul to make it more akin to what piracy was during the age of sail. Not saying it needs to be 100% "true to history" (because as others have stated, that can make for unbalanced/unfun gameplay).

Things I agree with:

1) Pirates not being able to conquer ports. They should be given a couple of conquest immune ports that have low value, basic resources to aid in crafting/simple economy. Of course give them access to Free Towns where they can set up outposts/buildings if they choose to. If they want to branch out further into the economy for wider access to resources, that's what smuggling is for. They just have to run the risk of getting caught by other players upon entering/leaving National ports in trade ships.

2) Largest ship they should be able to craft is the, well, Pirate Frigate. Anything bigger than that they should have to acquire either through purchase at Free Towns, or by capturing them in battle. That way they can still run around in SOLs if they choose to. They just have to put a little more leg work in to get them.

Playing the Pirate faction should be different enough from playing for a Nation to make it enticing for those who want the challenge. I recently ditched playing the Pirate faction and switched to being a National because it just didn't offer up the flavor I was looking for. I can do all of the same things as a National as I was doing as a Pirate. (Well, there are other reasons I left the 'Rats but they're not germane to this topic...)

If I had a sealed bottle of exceptiocal brandy someone brandishes the history book...

So let's look at the discussion again shall we ?

- Making Pirate playstyle as viable as playing a nation but with different mechanics

This means that a lot of things IMO should be different:

- for one it should be a notable pvp option. with no admiralty to issue missions.

- crew hiring has to be different. There's no initial price but money, upon making port, is immediately divided ( hence disappears from the coffers ) equally by the crew. If it is a 60 hands schooner or a 1000 men SOL is a captain's problem to solve, for crew allowance would dwindle fast down the drain if after a IRL week your crew would only receive 500 coins per head...

The more cash per crewman the more reputation for the pirate captain, the more crew allowance. Crew flocks fast to a captain that is efficient. No matter the Rank of the player a pirate career always starts with 60 men.

Yes, it gives a nice and cozy hardcore feeling to the pirates just with that little change.

• Like 2

If I had a sealed bottle of exceptiocal brandy someone brandishes the history book...

So let's look at the discussion again shall we ?

- Making Pirate playstyle as viable as playing a nation but with different mechanics

This means that a lot of things IMO should be different:

- for one it should be a notable pvp option. with no admiralty to issue missions.

- crew hiring has to be different. There's no initial price but money, upon making port, is immediately divided ( hence disappears from the coffers ) equally by the crew. If it is a 60 hands schooner or a 1000 men SOL is a captain's problem to solve, for crew allowance would dwindle fast down the drain if after a IRL week your crew would only receive 500 coins per head...

The more cash per crewman the more reputation for the pirate captain, the more crew allowance. Crew flocks fast to a captain that is efficient. No matter the Rank of the player a pirate career always starts with 60 men.

Yes, it gives a nice and cozy hardcore feeling to the pirates just with that little change.

Id like to see pirates operate out of free towns, cant capture ports but can raid them.

raiding a port closes it to all national players for 24 hours..pirates can acquire goods from the port during this window..the pirates that participated in the actual raid would get rewards (same as winning a PB or something now) its the job of whatever nation controls that region to defend the ports.

Limiting pirates in ships just isnt going to work, and makes no logical sense other than "its historical" which as I've already shown is an idiotic idea. Another reason its dumb is because all thats going to happen is pirates will get alts, or have national friends who make/buy ships for them and either sell them to the pirate, or let the pirate cap them without putting up a fight, so again limiting their ships is pointless. 

however if they do limit pirate ships to just frigates, port raiding etc should be exempt from the new proposed "hot spots" requirement..pirates can raid anywhere, anytime. It would be stupid to limit ships and then expect pirates to generate enough threat in an area and basically "announce" where they are going to raid...the pirate way was to strike hard, fast, and where you weren't expected.

(IE Drake raiding the pacific coast of the Spanish empire's colonial lands instead of the Caribbean and landing enough loot to fund the english gov for an entire year + payback his investors by more than 1000% and still keep like 10,000 pounds for himself)

Instead of missions pirates get money from plundering ships and towns, you'd have to change loot tables for pirates when they cap a trader vessel though to make it worthwhile as currently its a total toss up. 

I rather like the current rank system, as for crews most nations had criminals or literally kidnapped merchant sailors to fill their naval ranks, so pirates could keep their ships crewed by a mechanic similar to the current pressgang perk

Edited by Sickerthansars
  • Like 1

Id like to see pirates operate out of free towns, cant capture ports but can raid them.

raiding a port closes it to all national players for 24 hours..pirates can acquire goods from the port during this window..the pirates that participated in the actual raid would get rewards (same as winning a PB or something now) its the job of whatever nation controls that region to defend the ports.

Limiting pirates in ships just isnt going to work, and makes no logical sense other than "its historical" which as I've already shown is an idiotic idea. Another reason its dumb is because all thats going to happen is pirates will get alts, or have national friends who make/buy ships for them and either sell them to the pirate, or let the pirate cap them without putting up a fight, so again limiting their ships is pointless. 

however if they do limit pirate ships to just frigates, port raiding etc should be exempt from the new proposed "hot spots" requirement..pirates can raid anywhere, anytime. It would be stupid to limit ships and then expect pirates to generate enough threat in an area and basically "announce" where they are going to raid...the pirate way was to strike hard, fast, and where you weren't expected.

(IE Drake raiding the pacific coast of the Spanish empire's colonial lands instead of the Caribbean and landing enough loot to fund the english gov for an entire year + payback his investors by more than 1000% and still keep like 10,000 pounds for himself)

Instead of missions pirates get money from plundering ships and towns, you'd have to change loot tables for pirates when they cap a trader vessel though to make it worthwhile as currently its a total toss up. 

I rather like the current rank system, as for crews most nations had criminals or literally kidnapped merchant sailors to fill their naval ranks, so pirates could keep their ships crewed by a mechanic similar to the current pressgang perk

Good collection except the very last line about the crew. Any captain could crew a "canoe" with new arrivals but men would try primarily to sign up with capable crews.

Couldn't find a single self sustained port which gaven shelter to pirate crews that could build anything bigger than a longboat let alone a drydock for proper repairs. Deepest free port was indeed Nassau with staggering 24 feet in the deep harbour and a unique extension ranging for a dozen miles of space.

But it is a game indeed and I won't mind a compromise for shipbuilding if we get no access to being farmers and jolly happy coal miners...

Only production I found directly connected to pirates was wood cutting in Panama but was mainly for smuggling ( which the RN turned a blind eye ) but the loggers were not... pirates, but kindly worked with them given they were, in fact, stealing the spanish. Price was 9 pounds a ton log and when finally it was shipped legally from the American colonies was 90 pounds each.

Good collection except the very last line about the crew. Any captain could crew a "canoe" with new arrivals but men would try primarily to sign up with capable crews.

Couldn't find a single self sustained port which gaven shelter to pirate crews that could build anything bigger than a longboat let alone a drydock for proper repairs. Deepest free port was indeed Nassau with staggering 24 feet in the deep harbour and a unique extension ranging for a dozen miles of space.

But it is a game indeed and I won't mind a compromise for shipbuilding if we get no access to being farmers and jolly happy coal miners...

Only production I found directly connected to pirates was wood cutting in Panama but was mainly for smuggling ( which the RN turned a blind eye ) but the loggers were not... pirates, but kindly worked with them given they were, in fact, stealing the spanish. Price was 9 pounds a ton log and when finally it was shipped legally from the American colonies was 90 pounds each.

to clarify I meant pirates would capture a ship, and then perhaps offer the crew a chance to join them (live the life of freedom and booty) instead of serving in the national navy simply to avoid jail time, or again (live the life of freedom and booty) as opposed to being a former merchant sailor who was kidnapped by national pressgangs and put on a royal warship..not that pirates would be the ones running around kidnapping people and whatnot.

Also port royal was essentially a pirate haven, except they were called privateers to the British since the brits were paying them to be pirates for the spanish..one mans privateer is another mans pirate type of thing, maybe a letters of marque system thing would allow pirates temporarily to get access to a specific nations ports for refitting purposes and such

Edited by Sickerthansars
  • Like 1

Yes.

The capture should be in of course. After all it is the responsability of the player to act and provide coin for the crew ( hence my suggestion of proceedings to be shared, subtracted from player treasure, with the crew upon making port ) so it is up to the player to figure out what is more... profitable in the long run ( which in turn will be the deciding factor if the crew leaves him or keeps up in his company ).

I agree with Port Royal but given the timeline ( 1670 - 1820 ) I wouldn't mind having it moved to Bone Cay as Jamaica should be easily reachable.

Pirate main hub should be Nassau as per early 1700s.

I was tempted to add this to other threads but i think right now it should be it's own thread.

The NEWS

_________

So now that the PB/Diplomacy changes are starting to be threatened the balances of power are changing. 

Stage 1 : Pirates have no Diplomacy - Removing pirates from the diplomacy arm makes them unable to partake in PBs as allies and thus removes them from the PB scheme of things.

Stage 2 : Pirates lose PB capturing & Crafting - This is what the nations wanted and seems fair enough however we can raid so we can cause havoc in others waters

Stage 3 : Pirates lose crafting and 1/2 rates - This turns pirates into a punishment

The Editorial

Expected after pirates are killed and speculation thatthey actually want pirates as a thing

Stage 4 : avenues of Nation Change - Currently there is no mechanic to return to a nation.  On request I have been offered the ability to move some crafters to a nation however not the whole clan so there is clearly some issue with the way they access the DB and not an issue of not wanting to. HOWEVER they can turn individuals to different nations with everything intact and just losing the clan tags.  This is the turn pirate mechanic so there is probably very little they need to code to create a "BUY AMNESTY" option.  As such once they get diplomacy in the could allow joining of nations if enough points were acquired attacking a nations "enemy" as per the alliance patch.  This effectively gives them a way to make a letter of marque.

Stage 5 : Pirates migrate to nations or accept OW PVP as their lot in life.

Now personally this is not quite what I would like to happen as it merely turns pirates into a negative and has no positives to being pirate.....It isn't hard mode it is nation jumping mode. Pirates are viewed as something people think are cool and fun to be :  Pirates Vs Ninja,  Black sails,  Pirates games etc etc.

The devs want to be historically correct as much as possible but it also to be a war/strategy/PvP game.   There is inbalances that will come about regardless.   Lets see what we can influence as pirates without making it the go to option.

The editor's version of what we could do to make things cool and helpful in light of seasons and player styles

_______________________________________________________________________________________

MY VISION OF PIRATES AND WHAT WE CAN DO TO MAKE THEM A VIABLE FUN OPTION.

Instead of a complete whitewash of pirates from diplomacy lets consider making pirate clans become privateers/trading companies.  CLANS OF PIRATES (privateers) can be allies.  It doesn't take much in my opinion to add clans as nations with pirate rule sets and a static alliance flag updated by devs each season.  Put a restriction on it of say 100 players in a clan or some arbitrary value to become  a privateer group but let the pirates band together in some form and act as a wildcard.  This gives Privateers some limitations (3rd rates and down) But some benefits (Pirate boarding mods).  We cant sail 1/2s but can supply them to our allies. Effectively turning privateer ship crafting into acquisition and distribution and custom modules.  This means that we are boarding focused (which we are in general) and we are a benefit to an ally.

Because we are now looking at the idea of Seasons which in my opinion is great why not make it so that Privateers become the Wooden Spoon balancer.   #1 in the draft is Privateer clan XXX who are allied with nation XXXX.  #2 pick in the draft is Privateer clan YYY. who are allied with nation YYY. Limit it to 4 Privateer clans so you have limitations.  We have a few major clans in pirates so making sorry/ausfc/Rubli/code or something like that into the 4 privateer clans sorta turns them into a better than AI Balancing system.  They have structure and history as nations etc so know how to play the gamethat way and would benefit others.

This would effectively give you a couple of things. 

1 a way to balance nations against each other

2 a way to make pirates hard mode by making them capture ships

IMO having pirates is a great thing PR wise,  Having Privateers is even better (Hard Mode) and allows you to control the balance of power to some extent so smaller nations are not hung out to dry.

Pirates can be a punishment and be a way to get redemption privateers be a way to get Varied content.  After X amount of points for fighting with their allies they can jump to that nation if they desire to leave the privateers/Pirate way. 

Edited by Fastidius
  • Like 1

If you want to play as a nation, join a nation. If you want to play as an actual pirate then accept the hardships of being an outlaw.

As far as your 'Stage 4'

You have the same mechanic currently that every other nation has in changing to another. Delete and remake your character and accept your losses. You had it easy to leave a nation to become a so called 'pirate'.

Now I'm not against a server wide ability to recreate your character with redeamables or whatever after they finally do a reset with new port battle mechanics but don't act like you are deserving of being treated any different then a British player going Swedish etc. Pirates aren't special snowflakes. 

Where have you read that pirates can't make lineships?

it the majority decision in polls and historically correct

If you want to play as a nation, join a nation. If you want to play as an actual pirate then accept the hardships of being an outlaw.

As far as your 'Stage 4'

You have the same mechanic currently that every other nation has in changing to another. Delete and remake your character and accept your losses. You had it easy to leave a nation to become a so called 'pirate'.This is a testing thin and admin wants it out once they work out a way to make that mechanic work.....ie what i said in stage 4

Now I'm not against a server wide ability to recreate your character with redeamables or whatever after they finally do a reset with new port battle mechanics but don't act like you are deserving of being treated any different then a British player going Swedish etc. Pirates aren't special snowflakes. this isnt about the current pirates as much as the future of the game

im not worried about me.  im worried about the game and it not having pirates/privateers/hardmode........i have done nations and its a power creep.

If you read the post you will notice that its all about mechanics and giving flavour not about how it affects me but the entire pirates and specifically how it helps the balance of power on other nations without it being a huge hurdle when it comes up....

we all know that the smaller nations cant survive in war without help.  Seasons will probably be like a month or 2 at most if they get it right and thus you need a way to establish a balancing force without making it a bad AI.

Edited by Fastidius

it the majority decision in polls and historically correct

im not worried about me.  im worried about the game and it not having pirates/privateers/hardmode........i have done nations and its a power creep.

It not having 'hardmode' what do you honestly think hardmode is?

Pirates have had dysfunctional mechanics for a long time and nothing about them has been hardmode. Infact what you are complaining about being implemented in the future IS actually making them finally hardmode. No friends, no alliances only themselves seeking to make personal profit by force and guile. 

Why do you think pirates need the ability to make alliances to be pirates? Look at Black and pagan pete to see how to behave as a real pirate. 

Why do you think pirates need the ability to capture ports to be pirates?  ^ See above.

Why do you think pirates need SOL (Useless in pursuing laden tradeships) to be pirates? ^ See above.

And btw, privateers are national thing and we are all pretty much privateers as we get to keep what we capture instead of turning it in to the admiralty.