Game-Labs Forum

Pirate Mechanics Vote

985 members have voted

1. 1. Should Pirates be able to capture ports, and if not, should they be able to raid instead?

• Port Capture Only.
    • Raiding Only.
    • No Port Capture or Raids.
  2. 2. Should Pirate crafting exclude 1st Rates (Santisima, Le Océan etc)?

• Yes.
    • No.
  3. 3. Should Pirate crafting exclude 2nd Rates (Pavel etc)?

• Yes.
    • No.
  4. 4. Should Pirate crafting exclude 3rd Rates (Bellona etc)?

• Yes.
    • No.
  5. 5. Should Pirate crafting exclude 4th Rates (Ingermanland etc)?

• Yes.
    • No.
  6. 6. Should Pirate crafting exclude 5th Rates (Frigate, Belle Poule etc)?

• Yes.
    • No.

Pirates shouldn't be excluded for any reason. if you are going to try that then allow faction specific ships. santisimas should only be for spain. victories should be for GB. 

until the devs come up with faction specific technology trees, this is a moot point and deserves to be revisited when there are a significant amount of ships in the game to make it viable. otherwise leave the pirate faction as-is. and for god's sake allow pirates to craft the pirate frigate. it's flipping frustrating that we can't.

• Like 2

i believe if it's on the sea, you can capture it, if you can capture it, you can break it down and learn how to make it. it's simple logic that even nations today use, it's called reverse engineering. break it down, figure out its parts then build it yourself with what you have available.

short answer, yes i do.

pirates should not be discluded from 1st rates or capturing ports. if pirates can't capture ports or defend them, what is stopping every faction from capturing every pirate port and flipping pirates the bird and telling em to deal with it?

i believe if it's on the sea, you can capture it, if you can capture it, you can break it down and learn how to make it. it's simple logic that even nations today use, it's called reverse engineering. break it down, figure out its parts then build it yourself with what you have available.

short answer, yes i do.

pirates should not be discluded from 1st rates or capturing ports. if pirates can't capture ports or defend them, what is stopping every faction from capturing every pirate port and flipping pirates the bird and telling em to deal with it?

Freeports.

Well it would seem the pirate faction currently a nation is literally not working and hopefully the developers adjust them to a faction similar to what they actually did, raiding ports all for it but pirates in first rates well, when did that ever happen :)

Well it would seem the pirate faction currently a nation is literally not working and hopefully the developers adjust them to a faction similar to what they actually did, raiding ports all for it but pirates in first rates well, when did that ever happen :)

Back then there used to be a lot of excited players talking about how fun it would be if the pirates were sailing around in speedy little sloops robbing the nations of the resources by capturing merchant ships. I wonder what went wrong there. :blink:

IF you not like results of poll not make poll

btw its a honest result      clearly pirates should be able to craft up to 3rd rates no more.  so i guess is a community success

if we add that to your idea of captured player ships get refitted by pirates with extra armor/cannons but less manouvrability and a different skin color. all will be happy.  as well the option to raid a port for resources/gold  instead capture

Whether the poll is biased or not (I suspect there is some validity to the argument that pirates have flocked to vote to a great extent than national players)  there is no way pirates should be able to make a 3rd rate or in reality anything. A frigate was a large ship for a pirate and consequentially very rare in their hands. Pirates didn't build ships, they captures them or bought them occasionally. Most pirate ships were converted merchant ships which were up gunned. Pirates were in the business of making money not fighting if they could avoid it and generally chose their fights for maximum profit and minimal risk.

When it came to taking towns they did do so rarely, and generally only after a letter of marque had been issued. One thing is for certain, the present situation where pirates are in effect a nation is ridiculous and totally ahistorical. The game pirates may be as dishonourable as real pirates were, but they are vastly more overpowered.

• Like 2

As it is, Pirates won't have the ability to craft 1st and 2nd rates so in order to equalize things Pirates should have better frigates either by enhancing there stats (like the pirate cherubim to be pirate craftable) or by having special pirate ship (for exemple former famous pirate ships?)

• Like 1

ok , just my 2 cents worth here...

But if a nation player decides to go Rogue (Pirate) and attacks another player .. I know that the mechanics are already in place, that they pretty much lose all their access to their former nations' ports, ................... but! I believe it should be instituted that they lose access to ALL the Freeports in the waters controlled by their former nation, as well. And within a Certain nautical mileage of that Nations ports. Call it banishment or exile....don't care.

as it is, all a "potential Pirate" has to do is move his possessions to a Freeport of his choice in his current nations waters... stock up ... settle in, and after that ... attack a nation-mate. Whereby, there are really no other consequences, other than you just don't have access to those nations ports any longer.

2 criteria I would hope could be considered and implemented (but most likely not) ... For instances where the Pirates are captured/sunk in enemy National waters ..

1) they should not be allowed to acquire portage at whatever Freeport they are "dumped at" (inside said Nations waters).

* this could be implemented for all combatants from all Nations as well. But, definitely they should not have access to the Freeport closest to that NATIONS capital

2) If a player decides to turn rogue, the only free ports they can enter after that immediate decision, should be in PIRATE controlled waters. (ie a Freeport that is closer to a controlled Pirate town, than the former nations)

Currently all a pirate (or other nation combatant) has to do to gain access close to an enemy nations port, is have the port permit at the ready, and sail into the enemies territory. Thus they will potentially be detected, attacked and most likely sunk/captured ... resulting in re-spawning in the potential FREEPORT of their intent (most likely deep within the target Nations territory)... for Free (more or less). Whereby all they have to do is buy the outpost and teleport out! -- That is just Barnacle Ruffage!!

Because once they are back in their (Pirate/Nations) territory, all they have to do is teleport more formidable ships to that harbor (by capture and switch), then teleport back to it themselves later, and start attacking. All under the guise of invisibility!

ok, again .. Just MHO, I am not saying that a Pirate or enemy combatant cannot gain access to a Freeport within an enemy nation .. they just should not be able to, if they are "caught in the act", and wind up there as a result of capture or sinkage.

Right now, its like staging the Jail at the Armory ---- right next to the Bank! ......... all the while, never locking the door to the jail cell!

Jus' sayin',

-Yank

Ugh, stop trying to take away free ports! Have you even tried sailing in enemy waters?!? The only ports to dock & sell goods you capture are at free ports. I have an outpost at a free port in French/Sweedish territory that I tp to & sail in my ship to hunt. There is no way I'm sailing back to Mortimer from there.

Ugh, stop trying to take away free ports! Have you even tried sailing in enemy waters?!? The only ports to dock & sell goods you capture are at free ports. I have an outpost at a free port in French/Sweedish territory that I tp to & sail in my ship to hunt. There is no way I'm sailing back to Mortimer from there.

IF that is what free ports were used for it would be fine. Sadly most of the time they are used as port jumping staging points to jump others because those others have no way of knowing who is in the port waiting to gank them and they can't be evicted. Best solution I've heard is you can dock/undock from a free port 3 times an in an hour's period with no invisibility. That's plenty to see if anyone is camping the port from outside the port and decide to make a break for it or teleport.

Just make ALL ports have a small very small version of teh Green zone with this change.. You attack someone in it or while your in it... The ports guns SINK you......  Then you can sit outside all you want.... but no invis at all. never under stood that for undocking... 

IF that is what free ports were used for it would be fine. Sadly most of the time they are used as port jumping staging points to jump others because those others have no way of knowing who is in the port waiting to gank them and they can't be evicted. Best solution I've heard is you can dock/undock from a free port 3 times an in an hour's period with no invisibility. That's plenty to see if anyone is camping the port from outside the port and decide to make a break for it or teleport.

The "exploit" around free ports and ganking from there has been fixed in patch 9.8:

"Captains wont be able to enter battles immediately after log in, port exit or sitting in battle result screens. To do that the system of invis/invul has beend changed. After login or port exit or battle exit you will not be able attack or be attacked for 30 seconds. 120 sec invulnerability timer wont let you enter battles. This will completely solve hiding in battles issues."

Source: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/14021-patch-98-damage-model-50-server-merges-bird-is-a-word-19th-may/

Free ports will remain dangerous but the possibility of having an unknown number of attackers piling out of the port once their buddy has tagged someone has been eliminated.

i like how there is no option to vote on pirates doing exactly as they have been, wonder who isn't a pirate *cough OP cough*

SO no option for no change at all. if pirates cant hold ports then how can they craft ANY SHIP, let alone 3rds. What at MT? or are we not to have that one as well? I see the OP really wants to neuter a whole faction. thankfully this poll is not by the devs or anybody important and means nothing at all except the OP needs better mascara because it looks like its starting to run at this point

Also just to clarify. Would you prefer that the US just waltz on through and have some sort of enhanced easy mode? because if pirates can hold anything cant craft anything above a 3rd. Doesn't that pretty much sound like what you want?

Could you please rename this thread to "how to raise the sea level with carefully disguised crying"

This is a interesting poll but I think better question would be:

Should all nations be limited to only historical ships?

Should nations that never captured ports through naval action be allowed to capture ports?

Many of the ships in this game never sailed the americas.

No nation had more than a handful of first rates ever.

America had only frigates.

Pirates did take ports by naval actions.

• Like 1

PM

Dear Developers,

Firstly I like to say you have created a beautiful and truely unique game that i am thouroughly enjoying! (im addicted ;P). However It is my opinion that there Is a shortfall within the Pirate "Nation".

It is my belief that the Pirate faction needs a re work, for this I have few ideas:

1. Limit the number of beginning Pirate ports, historically Pirates only truely sailed from a very select few ports with in the carribean.

2. Created a reputational based rank system in which Pirates have to sink or capture other ships to build there reputation as a fearsome pirate or raid ports (more XP and gold for PVP compared to PVE)

3. Create a "pirate hunting bounty system" in National Ports to promote Privateering, bounties should reputational based (I beleive this already happens in forums) and upon collecting a bounty it would give you an aproximate location and heading (e.g - Pirate Captain X wanted reward £100,000 last seen near Nassau heading NW) this would create an extra bit of added excitment and danger in the conduct of Pirate activities.

4. Allow raiding rather than capturing of ports, Pirates should be able to buy a flag for a Port ,similar to the current mechanic. But rather then announce it to the server through a server message, have it not annouced at all. The flag would serve merely as a means to raid a port. Once a Ports defences have been destroyed and the Port infiltrated Pirates would have full access to all resources within the Port with exception of player ships. (Just because they are much harder to procure then resources)

5. Captured ship conversion, in history a lot of Pirate ships were traditionally captured and repurposed merchant vessels and small warships. I believe the game should facilitate this as well it would add a level of personal customization unique to the Pirate faction. But still have the ability to build the available ships

6. Have Pirate Faction specific upgrades, Pirates were a unique society of people who had cut ties with the tradtional bonds of society to seek a criminal life among the seas. These people came from all walks of life and brought with them thier own attributes and personalities to which ever ship they called home.I think it would be awesome if Pirates had unique upgrades available within the Pirate faction similar to the new "charasmatic boatswain" e.g - you could have "Ruthless Buccaneer" which provide a morale and melee boost in boarding scenarios.

7.Have Player created Pirate "Jacks", traditionally Pirates created their own Jacks that were synonymous with Piratical acts and reputation. I think it would be awesome if Pirates were able to create thier own Jacks synonymous to thier actions within the OW. I am aware there would be a certain few who would abuse this to have volgar and demeaning things as thier Jacks but this could be easily policed with a reporting system. You could also limit it by having a standardized black background or a standardized set of objects that could be mixed and matched for customization.

8. Allow for Pirate Privateering, traditionally Pirates were hired by nations (British especially ) to commerce raid and hunt particular warships of a certain nation. Nations could place "Privateering Contracts" into a server wide database of a specific ship or a certain number of merchant vessels in which when in a Pirate Port Pirates would be able to see contract lists and choose contracts as they please. Once completed The Pirate would return to port and collect thier reward. Additionally Pirates would be able to fly the flag of the contractor nation and then once in combat would "hoist the black" thus spreading thier reputation.

Yours faithfully 

Captain saintjacktar 

Australian Flotilla 

Tattered Flags 

United States 

• Like 1

Says who? This whole notion of handicapping Pirates because nations can't get a handle on how to combat them is ridiculous. Don't like it? Develop an alliance with one another and agree to fight Pirates instead of each other, until you've pushed them back. Why? Because you can, but you're just too lazy and/or disorganized to actually do it. The idea of limiting Pirates due to 'historical accuracy' is stupid as well, the only historical accuracy in the game are the ships themselves. It's a sandbox, utilize it accordingly and stop begging the devs for handouts or easy mode for everyone BUT pirates.

Edited by Flagg
  • Like 2

Says who? This whole notion of handicapping Pirates because nations can't get a handle on how to combat them is ridiculous. Don't like it? Develop an alliance with one another and agree to fight Pirates instead of each other, until you've pushed them back. Why? Because you can, but you're just too lazy and/or disorganized to actually do it. The idea of limiting Pirates due to 'historical accuracy' is stupid as well, the only historical accuracy in the game are the ships themselves. It's a sandbox, utilize it accordingly and stop begging the devs for handouts or easy mode for everyone BUT pirates.

Dear Flagg,

The Pirate Faction has the largest population in the game, you seriously do not believe this is not an issue? Perhaps if it was more difficult and restrictive a lot of people wouldnt play Pirate, Therefore balancing the Player base. But I beleive if redisigned carefully and creatively they would still be fun to play while also being a challenging. As for Historical accuracies this game is a game based on the "golden age of sail", just because currently it stops at the ships doesnt mean it has to. Why stop there you know?

Kind regards

Captain saintjacktar

Australian Flotilla

Tattered Flags

United States

Edited by saintjacktar
  • Like 1

Says who? This whole notion of handicapping Pirates because nations can't get a handle on how to combat them is ridiculous.

For me it has nothing to do with fighting against pirates, but everything to do with piracy offering me nothing that I don't already have in a nation. Sailing for a nation you have a load of safety nets - lots of ports to sail to and from, good quality ships readily available in the home port, a safe line of progression, back-up from fellow nation members. What is different about being a pirate? You have a different flag? Wow, that is really going to tempt me to ditch the nation I sail for. If I betray the nation I sailed for, if I turn my back on the safety nets, then I would expect the consequences of my actions. Such consequences I would expect to be along the lines of a limited number of ports (i.e. Free Towns only), either no crafting or limited to up to 6th Rate, only able to raid - not capture - ports, and limited to capturing ships a lot of the time to get a new one. I'd also like to see the removal of nation grouping/chats for pirates; if you want to be organised then do it externally.

The way piracy is implemented offers no consequences for the act of betrayal in attacking friendly shipping. I want being a pirate to force me to think on my feet, to carefully pick my fights/sailing routes, to not have the safety nets underneath me, to feel alone and unable to trust anyone*. It feels to me, by and large, that those who voraciously defend the current way piracy is handled just want to have the allure of being a pirate without the dangers of it. It is as though they just want to have their 'cool' flag and to think of themselves as some ferocious buccaneer, when in the game their nation is really just a carbon copy of the others.

*My experiences from DayZ & EVE are to blame for this.

Edited by Rikard Frederiksen
  • Like 3

If they announced faction player numbers, you'd most likely change your mind. There's a reason they don't. Just my$.02

• Like 3

This has been the same comment made by the pirates many times before. Telling nations to "get good" while beating them into the ground scaring away current and new players from those nations and into the pirate faction does nothing to help the situation. Your theory sounds good but it does not translate well to the game and you can say it many times more but the results will be the same.

• Like 1

Dear Flagg,

The Pirate Faction has the largest population in the game, you seriously do not believe this is not an issue? Perhaps if it was more difficult and restrictive a lot of people wouldnt play Pirate, Therefore balancing the Player base. But I beleive if redisigned carefully and creatively they would still be fun to play while also being a challenging. As for Historical accuracies this game is a game based on the "golden age of sail", just because currently it stops at the ships doesnt mean it has to. Why stop there you know?

Kind regards

Captain saintjacktar

Australian Flotilla

Tattered Flags

United States

Oh so you have population data that the rest of us don't? Ok so Pirates appear to own more ports than everyone else on PVP1 which I imagine is where you play, but on PVP2 where I play both US and GB have far more ports than Pirates, so I say that we handicap the US to give the rest of us an advantage, sound good?

This has been the same comment made by the pirates many times before. Telling nations to "get good" while beating them into the ground scaring away current and new players from those nations and into the pirate faction does nothing to help the situation. Your theory sounds good but it does not translate well to the game and you can say it many times more but the results will be the same.

See my preceding post.