Game-Labs Forum

Pirate Mechanics Vote

985 members have voted

1. 1. Should Pirates be able to capture ports, and if not, should they be able to raid instead?

• Port Capture Only.
    • Raiding Only.
    • No Port Capture or Raids.
  2. 2. Should Pirate crafting exclude 1st Rates (Santisima, Le Océan etc)?

• Yes.
    • No.
  3. 3. Should Pirate crafting exclude 2nd Rates (Pavel etc)?

• Yes.
    • No.
  4. 4. Should Pirate crafting exclude 3rd Rates (Bellona etc)?

• Yes.
    • No.
  5. 5. Should Pirate crafting exclude 4th Rates (Ingermanland etc)?

• Yes.
    • No.
  6. 6. Should Pirate crafting exclude 5th Rates (Frigate, Belle Poule etc)?

• Yes.
    • No.

Oh so you have population data that the rest of us don't? Ok so Pirates appear to own more ports than everyone else on PVP1 which I imagine is where you play, but on PVP2 where I play both US and GB have far more ports than Pirates, so I say that we handicap the US to give the rest of us an advantage, sound good?

Dear Flagg,

See the problem you re having here is you re still viewing my ideas as a Pirate Nation, In my ideal vision for the game Pirates Faction within the game is they re not a nation at all but a collective of individual Pirate players and clans working together to raid shiping,targetted privateering,port RAIDING and Capturing shipping... you know like actual Pirates! There would be a way to balance it, so as that it required skill but allowed Pirates to be a lethal and feared entity on the seas

Kind regards,

Captain Saintjacktar

Australian Flotilla

Tattered Flags

United States

Dear Flagg,

See the problem you re having here is you re still viewing my ideas as a Pirate Nation, In my ideal vision for the game Pirates Faction within the game is they re not a nation at all but a collective of individual Pirate players and clans working together to raid shiping,targetted privateering,port RAIDING and Capturing shipping... you know like actual Pirates! There would be a way to balance it, so as that it required skill but allowed Pirates to be a lethal and feared entity on the seas

Kind regards,

Captain Saintjacktar

Australian Flotilla

Tattered Flags

United States

While not discounting or disparaging anything you've mentioned in this last post, I find it interesting that everyone who aren't playing a character as a Pirate have this 'vision' for what Pirates should be, instead of concentrating on what their vision for their actual nation is.

While not discounting or disparaging anything you've mentioned in this last post, I find it interesting that everyone who aren't playing a character as a Pirate have this 'vision' for what Pirates should be, instead of concentrating on what their vision for their actual nation is.

Dear Flagg,

Firstly thank you for not taking aim at my ideas. Secondly I just like to say that I reckon all nations should have their own indivualities and in game traits that effect certain things (e.g - Dutch historically excellent trade nation, should get a little XP per unit traded or something like that ) put this was a thread about Pirates so I let my ideas loose in here

Kind regards

Captain saintjacktar

Australian Flotilla

Tattered Flags

United States

The biggest issues is that everyone is still looking at the pirates as a nation: most suggestions are geared to adjusting pirates in relation to port captures. First, what needs to happen is that pirates need to be given our own, unique goals separate from the Nationals. This way, the Pirates vs. Nationals issue will be superfluous as we will be playing on two different fields (though not 2 different games), and thus will hopefully also foster some natural pirate v pirate action on the side.

The problem I am continuing to see is that Pirates making these arguments are playing pirates as a Nation. Again, if you have pirates competing directly with Nationals for ports/econ, then of course any voice for change will be seen as "nerfs" or unfair. but herein lies the major issue: the truth is if you want to fight Port Battles, have huge economy, conquer the map, then you want to play a nation. As such, there are currently a large number of pirates who are lying to themselves by playing pirate, but playing them as if they were a nation. 

Separate the Pirates completely from the National Conquest game; give them their own, unique goals and ways to obtain unique ships and a unique (imo parasitic) form of economy, and all these "They just want to nerf the pirates cuz butthurt" flies right out the window. I cannot agree more that PotBS was a horrible model for a pirate mechanic, as it was an under-powered carbon copy of the nations. However I must implore you to realize that having the Pirates act like and directly compete against the nations here is hardly any better if not the same.

The biggest issues is that everyone is still looking at the pirates as a nation: most suggestions are geared to adjusting pirates in relation to port captures. First, what needs to happen is that pirates need to be given our own, unique goals separate from the Nationals. This way, the Pirates vs. Nationals issue will be superfluous as we will be playing on two different fields (though not 2 different games), and thus will hopefully also foster some natural pirate v pirate action on the side.

Dear William the Drake,

Please view my previous suggestion (page 16) within this thread, I would be very interested in your opinion.

Regards,

Captain Saintjacktar

Australian Flotilla

Tattered Flags

United States

Edited by saintjacktar

Capt. Saintjaktar, I have already responded here on your original (now locked) post.

Cheers.

Dear William the Drake,

Sorry sir I had forgotten you had responded on account of the thread being locked. I am somewhat in agreement with alot of your suggestions however i believe that all faction/nations should have thier own individual upgrades and abilities and as for the customization of ships I beleive the Pirates should have it more so, so as to remain competitive in OW PVP against larger ships (this all would require balancing but i dont think its out of reach of the dev team) as for Privateering I agree it should be available to Warring nations also, but my original thread was solely about changes to Pirates.

Kind regards,

Captain Saintjacktar

Australian Flotilla

Tattered Flags

United States

Im new player so not sure if there anyone mentioned about it so apologies if Im repeating but pirates could have loyality points for PVE or/and PVP and exchange them for ships which are unique and accessible only for them. Also mercanary market mechanic would be awesome... like nations could hire pirate group or groups (and only pirates could work as mercs) as mercanaries for help and assistance :):P

Edited by Mamen

As much as I really would like a Pirate faction that has a completely different mechanic to what the Nations have ,because it would be make for a more interesting game, I don't think that would solve the current problem with Pirates SORRY.

SORRY as commanded by Her Royal Highness 'V' now to be referred to as $5 leads a group who have ROLFSTOMPED a large part of the map during this they have been accused of many things including abusing game mechanics this particular accusation I think is a bit rich because a large number of online gamers would do exactly the same thing in the same situation.

During this they have had a great deal of practice and is a problem in it's self.

What happens after a complete wipe and $5 manages to keep the core of experienced players together and say they roll for arguments sake French next time. I don't believe during the ranking up any other group will rank up quicker than SORRY so you will tell me even playing field so this isn't a problem but it is they have something no other group has an experience that can really only be gained from playing PBs.

With the current server population we have I don't see a way any other group can practice and gain the invaluable experience SORRY have to be able to counter them no matter what Nation they play.

If I have missed in my short time looking at the UI a big box labelled 'battle practice room' please point it out, as has been mentioned over the years I am a bit of a Noob.

Dear Mr. Custard,

In relation to proposed mechanics in my ideas on page 16,SORRY's ability to conduct PBs "well" will hold wait only in the sense of raiding for resources and with out 1st rates it would be challenging for them, however im sure given thier coordination and numbers they would be able to acheive this quite comfortably and with minimal loses, i also suspect they would become the true "terrors of the sea". However I beleive if my ideas were implemented they would probably jump ship to a nation so as to continue PBs.

Kind regards

Captain saintjacktar

USS BANSHEE

Australian Flotilla

Tattered Flags

United States

Edited by saintjacktar

All pirate nation players are partial, so if you remove their votes it's clear that most of us want the pirate nation reduced to a faction. That faction should not be able to build any SOL. They should be limited to the 2. shipyard. They should survive buy stealing and plundering. Being a pirate is to good now, it should be a punishment.  

All pirate nation players are partial, so if you remove their votes it's clear that most of us want the pirate nation reduced to a faction. That faction should not be able to build any SOL. They should be limited to the 2. shipyard. They should survive buy stealing and plundering. Being a pirate is to good now, it should be a punishment.

And of course, on the flipside, all players in a faction other than Pirates are biased.

IRL, pirate even created or crafted a single ship in history? 

Same goes for any navy captain / admiral *shrugs*

Both sailed what they were given or what they could get their hands on.

Carry on.

• Like 1

Dear Hethwill,

Pretty sure Admirals would have ordered the ships be built, through governments?

Where as Pirates only captured & converted ships. I believe this is what he meant?

I mean biggest Pirate ship I can find is the Fancy?

Regards

Captain saintjacktar

USS BANSHEE

Australian Flotilla

Tattered Flags

United States

Edited by saintjacktar

I think in the current game's situation it's the easiest way to handle pirates as a nation. This is, of course, neither historical nor reasonable. They have all benefits from a nation (ports, materials, buildings ... plus the advantage of attacking another pirate and hide in battle screen) -- this is a bit too much. But changings here cause difficult surgery work for the game mechanics. It makes no sense to forbid pirates sailing SOLS when they have to capture ports. They cannot gain materials without ports, and so on ...

Maybe pirates should

- have no ports at all, but they can build pirate outposts everywhere (not visible in maps) from where they can operate, but which can be attacked and destroyed by nations

- have the ability to teleport between free towns

- have the ability of trade in free towns (maybe get cheaper materials)

- sail only captured ships (maybe get extra dura for capturing)

- have limited crew (maybe never enough for first rates)

so that the aspect of pirates' surprise attacks is strengthened, but otherwise their actions are rather limited comparing to real nations.

Of course, these changes are quite drastic and have to be balanced carefully not to break pirate gameplay.

What do you think?

I think in the current game's situation it's the easiest way to handle pirates as a nation. This is, of course, neither historical nor reasonable. They have all benefits from a nation (ports, materials, buildings ... plus the advantage of attacking another pirate and hide in battle screen) -- this is a bit too much. But changings here cause difficult surgery work for the game mechanics. It makes no sense to forbid pirates sailing SOLS when they have to capture ports. They cannot gain materials without ports, and so on ...

Maybe pirates should

- have no ports at all, but they can build pirate outposts everywhere (not visible in maps) from where they can operate, but which can be attacked and destroyed by nations

- have the ability to teleport between free towns

- have the ability of trade in free towns (maybe get cheaper materials)

- sail only captured ships (maybe get extra dura for capturing)

- have limited crew (maybe never enough for first rates)

so that the aspect of pirates' surprise attacks is strengthened, but otherwise their actions are rather limited comparing to real nations.

Of course, these changes are quite drastic and have to be balanced carefully not to break pirate gameplay.

What do you think?

Why should all other players have 5 dura but pirates be restricted to 1 or two? Guess you don't want us having upgrades.

Easywin vs Pirates

It is, at the Moment, a Pirate game not a Naval Action Game and that's the main Problem here.

The Dev's are only speaking about changes within the pirates fraction, and that's more a Background chatter while they are implementing unnecessary updates with the argument that this game is a alpha version and we should/must test those changes.

where are all those needed changes for the game, which makes the game playable for all? I don't see any at the Moment, except those try and error updates again and again.

and only promises that something will we happen in the near future with the pirates.

Edited by William Livingston Alden
  • Like 1

It is, at the Moment, a Pirate game not a Naval Action Game and that's the main Problem here.

The Dev's are only speaking about changes within the pirates fraction, and that's more a Background chatter while they are implementing unnecessary updates with the argument that this game is a alpha version and we should/must test those changes.

where are all those needed changes for the game, which makes the game playable for all? I don't see any at the Moment, except those try and error updates again and again.

and only promises that something will we happen in the near future with the pirates.

Uh, wut?

How is it a pirate game? Seems to me it's a game of nations, albeit with the pirates as a nation also and just so happens that pirate nation is strong at the moment. 

Devs are making changes to gameplay that impacts the player base as a whole, not just to a single faction.  Would you rather they focused on one nation and put the other mechanics on the shelve till that's done?

Yes, that and taking steps to get rid of Alts and cheats. But hey, most people just get frustrated and leave instead of trying in vain to make their case on the forums. Pretty funny when nobody even bothers to post tribunal cases anymore.

• Like 1

Yes, that and taking steps to get rid of Alts and cheats. But hey, most people just get frustrated and leave instead of trying in vain to make their case on the forums. Pretty funny when nobody even bothers to post tribunal cases anymore.

Think of a legal way to forbid anyone of owning several copies of the game and present it.

C'mon crew, the big Nations and War and Peace and all the port battles jazz is coming and you go all gloomy.

• Like 1

So I don't have experience with other RVR MMOs, but EVE is referenced constantly in comparison to NA, which leads me to ask: how are steamroller / Zerg factions handled in that game? What kind of brakes are used to contain the growth and/or limit the power of a popular (high population) faction?

I'm not saying that EVE should be copied, but those mechanics - as well as those of other similar successful RVR games - should be understood.

Fundamentally, in a sandbox there should be no artificial limits imposed on faction growth, but there should be costs associated with increased growth - be it in territory, # of ships, or even player population. There should also be means for lower population factions to make meaningful (in game terms) alliances that allow them to oppose the steamroller faction together.

NA's devs have hinted at these kind of mechanics being forthcoming. There's the war & diplo stuff (which will hopefully address alliances, at least) as well as crew as a national resource. I am convinced the devs are pretty clever and have good solutions in store, or at the least good ideas that can be evolved though testing into good solutions.

WW2OL relied on supplies for planning and timers and zergs did happen all the time. Skillful use of the vehicles, planes, etc, still came into play. I really enjoy the scale of it. Subscription was not a deterrent back in the day. Would kill for such a game again with more emphasis on the simulation side of things.

EVE relies heavily on spying and zerg as far as I can tell. Did actually go through 3 test phases and did not touch the game after two week upon launch. ( went over to alpha test other products  ). Has decades of development atop of it.

Warhammer Age of Reckoning, scaled RvR and really good. For some reason most players say they hate it but they love the stupid grind more than the true pvp action and did not play it that much after they reached top. Still one of the best MMOs given fast to get into, a lot to do at all times.

Heroes and Generals. RvR with massive focus on zerg grinding the enemy down through numbers and better equipment. Interesting combat but doesn't require that much more than the original CoD. Did alpha test it since its inception. Cease to play when it went beta with all the dumb down and grind for everything.

• Like 1

One idea that I wrestle with is whether to allow > 1 uncapturable port per nation. Part of me sees the logic in having 5-6 uncappable ports that would provide all resources for a nation, but then the other side of me questions whether or not the existing freeports don't provide exactly the same thing. To say nothing of the new Smuggler flag which allows the necessary resources to be harvested anywhere.

And that's just stuff that's in-game today - we don't even know what new opportunities will come from the alliance & diplomacy mechanics. So I'm less than convinced that more than 1 uncappable port is necessary, and certainly it avoids the issues stemming from people having everything they need at hand within short sail of their capital.

One thing I do believe would help protect the "newbie areas" around the national capital are shore batteries. In real life, even blockading fleets wouldn't dare get too close to shore, as they'd be hammered by shore batteries and then forced to leave the line to repair. So, I think NPC shore batteries that would automatically begin firing at enemy vessels once they entered the "Protected by <Capital Name>" area would be a great solution.

They could also be purchasable and/or craftable as an upgrade for a non-capital port, but they'd need to have some kind of ongoing maintenance cost and would have to be rebuilt after being destroyed in a PB. Or something along those lines.

Probably other buildings should have ongoing maintenance costs as well, although I understand that these are represented by the initial setup fee currently.

Also, those NPC fleets sailing around in national waters really need to do something besides provide grinding opportunities. In all my hours in Naval Action I've only ever been attacked by an NPC once... clearly this can be improved at least somewhat?

• Like 1